mlslaw
Need some advice

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday July 11, 2017 1:31 PM
I generally make good contact with my irons off the fairway. Par 3 tees with short irons is another issue and that's why I'm posting.

My default mistake is hitting the shot chunky. I tee the ball low but for some reason, I'm chunking the ball (hitting turf first) now and then.

Fixes anyone?
 Message #84710
kevbig
RE: Need some advice
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Tuesday July 11, 2017 1:55 PM
Probably the easiest solution would be to choke down half an inch or so. You can still make your normal swing without having to alter your stance or anything like that
 Message #84712 - This was a reply to message #84710
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday July 11, 2017 3:35 PM
Since I'm not a big fan of dispensing swing fixes via this forum, I'll only suggest that you check your basic set-up fundamentals, paying close attention to ball position. Based on your description of the problem, the club head is reaching its' low point behind the ball rather than slightly ahead of it. This could be attributed to a couple of issues: bad ball positioning or an early release of the club, which, in itself, could be caused by any number of contributing factors.

Try to keep things as simple as possible...maybe hit those tee shots on the Par-3s off the deck to see if that helps...and try not to overthink or complicate matters. And keep in mind, the optimum ball position may vary from day to day as dictated by how well...or poorly...you happen to be swinging the club. I feel this is an idiosyncrasy of the golf swing that many players often overlook and take for granted.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday July 11, 2017 5:59 PM]]
 Message #84718 - This was a reply to message #84710
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Tuesday July 11, 2017 3:49 PM
I tend to agree with 1PLUS1 in his 2nd paragraph, don't use a tee. Could be that sub-conscience space between your ears is telling you to hit up on the ball. Kick up a small tuft to place your ball instead of using a tee and give it a try.
 Message #84719 - This was a reply to message #84718
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Tuesday July 11, 2017 10:27 PM
I had the same problem and my solution was completely illogical!! LOL I tee the ball HIGHER. I tee it so that the ball doesn't touch the grass. The effect was that instead of staying too far down and hitting ground I am up a little higher and hitting cleaner. This might not work for everyone, heck it might not work for ANYONE else, but it has helped me. I imagine that by the end of the season I'll be teeing it back normally but for now it's working!
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #84733 - This was a reply to message #84719
SCGolf

Favorite Golfer:
    Angelo Erikson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Southern Hills

Thursday July 13, 2017 3:00 PM
When a player is hitting the big ball (earth) first, it's generally either reason A or B.

A. the player's sternum is not a the same position as his/her address position. Could be remaining right (right handed golfer) after transition and not getting back into position or the player is lunging before impact. Certainly, the player is not sliding left (s/he would be further away from the ball (more likely to shank/skank). To check a player's position at impact, you could use a video camera/GoPro with a visual in the background. If the head is dropping or body is staying behind the ball, you've found your problem.

B. pre-release. Almost every PGATour professional can hold their club/wrist angles close to 90* until their hand get 11" below their waist. Amateurs start releasing their clubs a lot earlier. If you take your club back to parallel to the ground and hinge down with the right hand, what happens??? We hit the big chubby... that's the pre-release. Sometimes we get a little quick on those short iron shots... still wanna hit down on the ball (especially with a red or white flag) and utilize spin as much as we can.

Whether it's A or B, if you're good on the fairways on not on the box, it's a commitment to the swing. The first part of the solution is understanding there's a problem and it sounds like you've been able to identify it. Perhaps playing some Par-3 courses where those conditions exists over 18 holes (v 4x's in 18) would benefit.

Best,
FIGHT ON!!!
 Message #84793 - This was a reply to message #84710
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Saturday July 15, 2017 10:43 AM
During a practice session today i stressed putting some added weight on the heels and.hit the irons just fine off the tee. Think i had too much weight on toes thus causing the chunk.
 Message #84826 - This was a reply to message #84793

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]