GK Cup 12 Signups:
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Classic Cl

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday April 19, 2018 12:07 AM
Sign up Deadline for GK Cup 12 is May 25, 2018 or when the field is full, whichever comes first. Sign-ups are limited to the first 24 participants, after which alternates will be accepted.

First round matches begin around Memorial Day and are projected to go past Labor Day.

GK Cup Sign-Up Instructions:

Please message GK username: Nickesquire or Nickesquire1.
- When you are logged in you will see a message envelope in the top right corner of the screen.
- If you are having trouble messaging Nickesquire, then please e-mail: Golf@Greenskeeper.org.

We need the following information from you:
• Your GK username
• Your Last Name
• Your First Name
• Your Contact # (cellphone)
• Your E-mail Contact (personal E-mail)
• What city do you play out of?
• GHIN # (or if you are using GK Scoretracker, what is your current index?)
• 1st choice of geographic area? (North, South, East, West)
• 2nd choice of geographic area?

Please remember that the GK Cup "footprint" has frequently had competitors paired up that live 75 to 150 miles apart play in later rounds. The "regions" are loosely based to primarily facilitate easier early round match-ups. In committing to play in GK CUP 12, please keep in mind that the farther you advance, the more distance there is likely to be between you and your opponent. Therefore, accommodating both parties may be impossible. Be realistic with yourself. If you are only willing/able to play on Sunday morning at your home club, then this format is not for you.

You can request any region to play in, your choice. Could be based on your home location, your work location, where you usually play or where you desire to play. There is no correct or incorrect area/region, completely your option. There are only 8 slots available per area/region. Therefore, if more people volunteer than there are spaces available, someone(s) will be slotted into a neighboring area/region.

Most North area competitors usually live north of Los Angeles & in Ventura County.

Most West area competitors usually live in western Los Angeles and northern Orange Counties.

Most East area competitors usually live in eastern Los Angeles and eastern Orange Counties, and anywhere in San Bernardino or Riverside Counties.

Most South area competitors usually live in southern Orange County and anywhere in San Diego County.

This is a handicapped event. All competitors are expected to post all rounds played and maintain current handicap indexes. Either official USGA handicaps or the GK Scoretracker are acceptable in this format. We use the current TREND on official indexes to keep the two systems both using the participants most current 20 rounds played.

It is the responsibility of all competitors to have current and verifiable handicap information for their opponent. It is the responsibility of the match opponents to request and verify current handicap information. Screenshots that include the current index plus the date and place of the competitors most 20 current rounds are recommended. Preferably BEFORE the match so all parties can determine course handicaps and the stroke differences for each set of tees that may be utilized.

All competitors may play any set of tees they choose, with course handicaps for tee differences adjusted accordingly.

In the past 4 GK Cups, I have tried to match up 1st round opponents with competitors who are relatively close by, hopefully within 20 miles. I try and rotate around the match-ups to avoid rematches from prior GK Cups. However, that is becoming more and more problematic when it is the same general group of players Cup after Cup.

GK Cup 12 will be limited to a maximum of 24 participants. My goal is a transparent bracket laid out before the first match is played without any byes if possible.

Final Bracket... play ASAP!

Sam Snead Bracket

lotrgolfer48
sbarajasjr

rudyclub
140ver

Long4par
Dconnally

jmenicucci10
t8fish

Arnold Palmer Bracket

RDDenn
golferic420

Nodoubles22
Cobra1788

Kassper7
dblevs606

Alex326
roarsown1

Ben Hogan Bracket

Kviser
Thingstodo

allan_grant
Adigitalg87

HmtGolfGuy
Caligolfer1031

TMoney88
Nickesquire

Rounds 1-3 are up to the individual competitors to set up their matches at a mutually agreeable site/date/time within the scheduled due dates.

Starting with GK Cup 12, the 4th round will also be held at a site/date/time determined by Greenskeeper. The finals have traditionally been held at a site/date/time determined by Greenskeeper.

Finally, could both parties in all GK Cup matches please rate/review the course they chose to play in their GK Cup match?

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Friday May 25, 2018 10:41 PM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #87920
Itslikeimsayin
RE: GK Cup 12 Signups:

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday April 19, 2018 11:59 AM
Anyone else feel we should get closer to completion of 11 before announcing signups and setting expected dates for 12? I believe it takes some of the fun out of it to have them overlapping.
 Message #87926 - This was a reply to message #87920
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Thursday April 19, 2018 12:40 PM
QUOTED  Anyone else feel we should get closer to completion of 11 before announcing signups and setting expected dates for 12? I believe it takes some of the fun out of it to have them overlapping.

Well, according to the GK 11 post, round 3 was to be completed April 15th. As of today, it appears none have taken place. Clearly, Nick is just trying to improve the pace of play.
 Message #87927 - This was a reply to message #87926
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:

Thursday April 19, 2018 5:21 PM
QUOTED  Anyone else feel we should get closer to completion of 11 before announcing signups and setting expected dates for 12? I believe it takes some of the fun out of it to have them overlapping.

Nope. These dates were set BEFORE GK Cup 11 even started when John & I talked about scheduling for this years two GK Cups back in January. End one around Memorial Day, end the other shortly after Labor Day to take advantage of the eight traditionally best weather months in So Cal.

And I won't be as kind as Lee... They are only going to be overlapping because some participants in GK Cup 11 have been VERY LAX about getting their matches played in a timely manner. Some people need to get playing some golf. Not wait 6 weeks w/o communicating that they don't have time to play their match(es).
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #87928 - This was a reply to message #87926
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday April 19, 2018 9:19 PM
Nick: I say the following with full respect and appreciation for you volunteering to run the GK Cups.

I understand the dates were selected prior to GK Cup 11 starting. In my view, that’s exactly the problem (as well as a lack of progress by participants).

We play these GK Cups for fun, not because we’re contractually obligated to complete two Cups each calendar year to fulfill a sponsorship obligation or something.

I’ve said it a million times and I’ll probably keep saying it: The best approach would be to detach the GK Cup from the calendar year and just start a new one about a month after the conclusion of each previous Cup. We live in Southern California. There is absolutely no reason to let weather or the calendar year dictate when the GK Cups take place. If the PGA Tour schedules their SoCal events annually in our rainiest season, I’m pretty sure the GK Cup could survive if some matches had to be played in December through March.

Do you not agree it waters the whole thing down if two Cups are being contested simultaneously?

(Ideally, schedules would be stuck to. But 11 Cups in, it’s pretty obvious that getting two people together to play golf is more difficult than might be expected.)
 Message #87932 - This was a reply to message #87928
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:

Thursday April 19, 2018 9:42 PM
It was decided a couple of years ago to avoid the normally poorer weather months AND the holidays. Personally... I'd rather have 3 GK Cups a year and play year round.
 Message #87933 - This was a reply to message #87932
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Tuesday April 24, 2018 11:39 AM

Yes, I think GK Cup 11 should be fully completed before moving on the GK Cup 12. But Nick is putting so much work into it that I've given him the autonomy to start the next GK Cup when he wants so its most conducive to his schedule.
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #87975 - This was a reply to message #87926
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday April 24, 2018 12:37 PM
WAIT ..... WAIT ..... Nick has a schedule??!!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #87978 - This was a reply to message #87975
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:

Tuesday May 1, 2018 4:38 AM
You know me, I could play almost anytime with a little notice David.

I was given projected dates of around Memorial Day to end GK Cup 11 and shortly after Labor Day to end GK Cup 12... so I took those dates and reverse engineered back to a reasonable starting date to accommodate the expected end dates.

The $64,000 question is who do you cater to? I go with the vast majority.

We usually have well over 80% of the field carry over from one GK Cup to the next GK Cup. Another reason participants often play the same familiar opponents if they advance in any particular GK Cup. Because unless we start scheduling traveling matches in the early rounds (like L.A. guys v. S.D. guys), there is only so much you can do to rotate around the same usual suspects.

In the current GK Cup format, 24 of the 32 players are already eliminated after 2 rounds. That means that the overwhelming majority of the returning players are eliminated in rounds 1 or 2. Most of those who were eliminated 1-2 months ago in the current GK Cup desire another opportunity to play in the next GK Cup. And based on the overwhelming feedback I receive, they do not want to wait around longer on past due matches from this GK Cup to further delay the start of the next GK Cup.

A reasonable period of 4-5 weeks to allow for sign-ups is prudent during GK Cup 11 in order to have GK Cup 12 ready to go on schedule. Many people are not on GK every day and may not yet know their projected summer schedules (family vacations etc.) For every person who feels like it takes some spotlight off the current GK Cup, there are also many that feel like the GK Cup 11 matches need to get played on schedule so as not to delay GK Cup 12.

Like I said earlier, I would love to have three GK Cups per year. However, that is impracticable when in every GK Cup we have a small minority who wait 6 weeks, then announce they cannot play for several more weeks. Life happens, and we try to accommodate everyone's wishes/needs as best we can. However, we cannot keep a GK Cup on schedule if even a couple of people are holding the rest up with their matches not being played in a timely manner.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday May 24, 2018 1:28 PM]]
 Message #88048 - This was a reply to message #87978
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Monday May 21, 2018 12:45 PM
Nick,