IronDuke13
Shaft Recommendations to go with current clubs

Favorite Golfer:
    Ernie Els
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday November 27, 2017 8:22 PM
Hi all. Was hoping some of the more knowledgeable equipment folks would be able to lend a hand.

I'm looking at some used Titleist 915 fairway woods through 2nd Swing Golf (anybody have success buying clubs from there?), nearly all of which have a Diamana shaft with the following designations used:

-Red, Blue or White
-D, M or S
-60, 70 or 80

I currently play Dynamic Gold S300s on my irons and my Driver is a Diamana Blue 65 Stiff. I did some cursory browsing around the web but didn't have any luck finding equivalencies.

Thanks!
 Message #86338
leef2020
RE: Shaft Recommendations to go with current clubs
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Monday November 27, 2017 10:00 PM
Hi Duke. I do custom clubfitting/clubbuilding.

Unless someone is hitting clubs in front of you, it's a crap-shoot. That said, I like Vegas.

What's your driver swing speed? What's your swing tempo like (slow/deliberate, fast/quick, smooth acceleration), and do you know if you have an early, mid or late release of your wrists heading to impact?

Please advise of your ball flight (fade/slice/straight, pull, etc., high or low trajectory), with your current Diamana 65 stiff driver, and if you are happy/that it is working for you. Are there any tendencies for 'bad shots'... e.g., duck hooks, push-fades, etc.

Likewise, what are your current FWY clubs, shafts, etc., and their ball flight/issues?

What is the degree loft of the 915 FWY club(s) that you're looking at? What are you trying to accomplish with the club(s)?

Generally, if things are working well with your Diamana Blue 65 stiff driver shaft, adding 10g to the fwy in the same model and flex can work. But, it does depend on the things mentioned above, plus if you are approaching or have moved past 42 years (+/-) of age.

Cheers,
Lee
 Message #86339 - This was a reply to message #86338
IronDuke13

Favorite Golfer:
    Ernie Els
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday November 28, 2017 12:58 AM
Hi Lee,

appreciate the very detailed response. I won't be able to answer all the questions you've asked but will give what info I know or can make an educated guess at.

I am 38.

Current FWY clubs were some cheaper ones my parents bought me many, many years ago. "ProTech" 15 degree and 19 degree with "Tour Control" shafts with a "mid-firm" flex. I have noticed I often have inconsistency between when I am hitting my fairway woods and irons well--they don't like to mix. I tend to hit them very well off the tee (straight, limited sideways movement) regardless. Off the fairway, trajectory tends to be low and I will have more issues with pulls (though an occasional push-slice) when it's an "off" day for the woods.

I can't give you much objective info on my swing mechanics, though I feel like a trend toward a faster tempo, though smooth. My driving is lower trajectory and straight or a mild fade. Bad shots, with all my clubs, tend toward push-fades (poor follow-through) and pull-hooks (feels like I accelerate too much through downswing). For many years I had a severe high-loft slice, especially with my woods, which I think sometimes causes me to overcompensate on my downswing (pull).

I am looking at probably a 15 degree and a ~20 degree loft on the fairway woods (I also have a 19 degree hybrid club that is my 3 replacement, so not sure if that should factor in). I like to be able to use both fairway woods for alternatives off the tee (short par 4s, doglegs with limited fairway, tighter holes I can't afford to hit a possible fade) and to eat yardage on longer holes. In the "5w" I would also like to have a bit more control/loft for long approach shots and longer par 3s.

Thanks!

Joshua
 Message #86341 - This was a reply to message #86339
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Tuesday November 28, 2017 5:17 PM
Joshua,

Sounds like you're struggling with consistency mostly. And, likely that your overall set has some significant variability in terms of club swingweight, overall weight and shaft flex. What you describe is typical when attempting to adjust one's swing to each club's (or portion of the set) unique profile on the above items.

Since you didn't mention your swing speed, can you please advise of the stated loft of your driver and how far you hit it, including roll on average, along with what club you use to fly the ball 150 yards? I can then infer swing speed fairly closely.

I am not familiar with your fairway wood arsenal. However, it does seem that the shaft weight and/or swingweight is off for your needs these days. Your Dynamic Gold S flex iron shafts are in the 130 gram range before cutting. Do you hit your irons pretty straight and consistent?

Cheers,
Lee
 Message #86345 - This was a reply to message #86341
IronDuke13

Favorite Golfer:
    Ernie Els
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday November 28, 2017 8:47 PM
Lee,

consistency is a huge issue. I have played 4 rounds over the last 6 weeks, which were my first rounds in about 4 years. There's a lot of variability in my game I'm still trying to "rhythym" back into.

Driver loft is 10.5 degrees. Average driving distance is in the 230-240 range. I am currently between a 7/8 iron from 150, depending on how well I'm hitting my irons. My distances on all clubs have been progressively increasing with each round played.

I am consistent in my iron play and tend to be straight. Missed shots are more often poor alignment to target and the occasional pull-hook. I otherwise have no tendency to slice or hook my irons.

Joshua
 Message #86346 - This was a reply to message #86345
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Wednesday November 29, 2017 1:34 PM
Interesting. Welcome back to the golf links!

Being just 4 rounds in over 6 weeks after a 4-year layoff, lack of consistency is to be expected. I went through something very similar after a 5-year layoff due to a botched foot surgery, re-teeing it for the first time in July 2014. As I recall, it took between 2-3 months of playing a few times/week, and/or hitting golf balls, practicing putting, etc., to get my game back to where I wanted it to be (well, all I could hope for, anyway). Realized working on the game 120-yards in and removing those clubs that mostly result in bad shots (tops/mis-hits/duffs) was the best way to lower scores. My own 'search for the perfect club' is what got me interested in club-fitting.

Back to your club search. Given your yardage estimates, your driving distance would suggest about a 90-92 mph swing speed. However, using a 7/8-iron for 150 yards would suggest a driver swing speed s/b in the 100-mph range. It is logical that one would hit their shorter clubs more efficiently at first, with the longer clubs to follow. So, as you are rebuilding golf strength, timing and confidence, I suspect you will pick up distance with your driver.

So, back to your driver, as this will inform shaft selection for your woods. How consistent are you at finding the sweet spot on your driver in the last 2 rounds? What % of fairways are you hitting? Did you have this shaft before your 4-year layoff and was the club working well for you then? Does the flex of your driver feel good to you now? Too stiff, too whippy, or 'just right'? You mention that ball flight with your 10.5 degree driver is generally straight, low trajectory and maybe a slight fade at times, correct?

Let me know, and I'll give you my two cents on shaft selection from the alternatives for the Titleist fairway woods you mentioned.

Cheers,
Lee
 Message #86351 - This was a reply to message #86346
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday November 29, 2017 4:12 PM
Wouldn't knowing the loft of the club be necessary for the 150 yd club?

I know that in my set it's a soft 7 or hard 8 iron, but I play clubs that are old school lofts, 36* 7 iron. My buddies set, I hit a 8 iron because it's an easy 34*ish 8 iron... 7 iron goes 165+ That ego based marketing that the industry has seemed to push on consumers.

[[Edited by robule on Wednesday November 29, 2017 4:13 PM]]
 Message #86361 - This was a reply to message #86351
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Wednesday November 29, 2017 5:06 PM
Robule - very helpful, particularly if one is fitting out a set of irons/shafts and interested in getting the gaps right of the iron set. For my purposes here, no, as I am just trying to understand what ballpark/league Joshua is in. He's indicated that sometimes it is a 7 and sometimes an 8 iron, which typically is a 4 degree range already.
 Message #86363 - This was a reply to message #86361
IronDuke13

Favorite Golfer:
    Ernie Els
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday November 29, 2017 6:45 PM
Lee,

I'm about 60% on my fairways the last few rounds with maybe 1-3 drives a round not making good contact. Shaft flex seems right. This was the same driver I used prior to the hiatus and I was equally consistent, though averaging closer to 250-260 in distance. My driver ball flight was the same, lower-trajectory line drives and a sometime fade.

Joshua
 Message #86364 - This was a reply to message #86351
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Thursday November 30, 2017 2:53 PM
Hi Joshua,

Not sure if what follows will be helpful, but that is my intent. Please do not take this as the definitive, correct answer for your 'search for the perfect clubs', as there isn't one. But, it is my reasoned 'guess'/direction to point you in as you proceed on your search. As I mentioned up front, this and buying a club online, without hitting it, is a crap-shoot. So, with that in mind...

It sounds like the older Diamana Blue 65 stiff shaft works well for you and you're not overpowering it. If you had a tendency to snap it left at times, that would suggest it may be too light and/or flexible for you (or, just a bad swing). Some of the info provided would suggest an outside-in tendency in your swing path (pulls, pull-hooks and generally a tendency for a fade. With your faster swing pace and speed, one of the objectives to consider is having the shaft keep your swing in good timing/tempo. Generally, heavier shafts will do this.

Conversely, one principle in golf shaft/club-fitting is to fit/match someone to the lightest, most flexible shaft **they can control**. So, this is the balancing act you intuitively need to consider in any club/shaft selection. A lighter, more flexible shaft will generally maximize distance on one's 'best' swings, but that doesn't do us any good if that's only 20% of the time and the other 80% the ball is in a hazard or another fairway.

You mentioned that you wanted more control with the new (used) fairways to hit it straight off of the tee on par4s, avoiding any fade, if possible. You also mentioned you wanted to be able to attack par3s with your 2nd fwy (18-20*) club with higher ball flight. it's also important to have a little more spin with this club, as you would want to have the ball bite/hold the green.

So, as you may know, the Diamana shafts you mentioned for the Titleist clubs have different launch and spin characteristics, generally as follows:

White (D+) Low launch / low spin
Blue (S+) Mid launch / mid spin
Red (M+) High launch / mid-high spin

As the shafts get heavier in each class (60g, 70g, 80g), and/or the flex ratings increase (R,S,X,TX) they will typically provide lower launch and spin (and torque) compared to their lighter siblings within each color shaft.

So, let's consider the three shaft profiles first. Given that your driver trajectory is low bullet with a 10.5 degree driver and your current Blue Diamana (mid launch), that would suggest that you eliminate the White (D+) Diamana shaft from either of your fairway options initially. You may indeed come back to it, but it doesn't seem to fit your swing and objectives, imho.

This leaves the Blue (D+) and Red (M+) shaft as options to try initially. Given your objectives, I don't see going lighter (60g) in either as a logical starting point, but it may be an option to consider in an (X) flex, particularly for the Diamana Red shaft, if desired.

If you were doing a live fitting, you'd likely want to hit all versions both the Blue and Red shafts in 60g, 70g and 80g iterations (if indeed available for the 915 fwys) to see what gives you the ball flight, consistency and distance you are looking for. Regardless of where you buy (2nd swing online, etc), I'd suggest, if possible, hitting your local Roger Dunn or equivalent to see if you can find these specific clubs/shafts in their used club bins before you make an initial purchase. The Roger Dunn in Santa Ana typically has a very large inventory of returned (misfit) clubs. Says a lot about buying clubs without a true fitting!

As a starting point, to pick one club/shaft combo if you order online without the benefit of testing them out first, I'd suggest the Diamana Blue (S+) 70g stiff for your 3W, same as my initial post, and go from there. As for the 2nd, higher lofted fwy it's a tougher call. You could easily opt for the same shaft in that club. But, given that you would benefit with a higher launch/spin to get it land and stay on the greens, I'd suggest trying out the Red (M+) 70g or 80g in stiff flex, assuming Titleist offered those shaft options for the 915 fwys. It is not clear to me that they did. It may have been a special-order.

This would give you several shafts to compare, to see if you develop a preference. This way, you become your own clubfitter. The higher loft on this club would also naturally provide increased spin, regardless of which shaft you choose.

Hope this helps you focus your initial search a tiny bit, and do let me know if you have any thoughts/questions/comments. Also, feel free to drop me an e-mail via GK as you like. Don't know if you've had many lessons in your life, but as you're getting back into it, it's also probably a good time to take one or two to simply work on set-up, club/wrist position at the top, etc., to help you get back in form faster.

If you do order something online without the benefit of trying them first, suggest that you verify and are happy with their return/exchange policy, as it's highly likely you'll want to swap something out. Also, check to see if they provide an option to purchase return shipping labels at a cheaper rate. As an example, I know Callaway Pre-owned offers that for UPS shipments, and it's a great savings (less than $10) over normal shipping rates. The good news about Titleist clubs, is they do have good resale value generally, so eBay can be a pretty good option, if needed down the road.

Good luck, and wishing you the best in your search Joshua! Look forward to meeting you one day at a GK outing!

Lee

[[Edited by leef2020 on Thursday November 30, 2017 3:52 PM]]

[[Edited by leef2020 on Thursday November 30, 2017 4:04 PM]]
 Message #86374 - This was a reply to message #86364

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]