mlslaw
Titleist Velocity balls

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday February 1, 2018 8:56 PM
Am interested in getting a bit more distance off the tee (currently using low compression Wilson DUOs) and read that the Velocity mite be worth a try. Feedback appreciated.
 Message #86943
SBogey
RE: Titleist Velocity balls

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Thursday February 1, 2018 11:06 PM
I tried them and was not impressed. Second time using the AVX I liked them more than the first. Have used the Srixon marathon balls and like them for distance but seem to go offline more and don't hold as well. I keep looking for the magic ball that will go 300 yards but not happening at my age. Find I keep coming back to the Pro V1 for the best overall performance. Hate to pay that much but I don't lose them as often so hey do last a long time!
 Message #86945 - This was a reply to message #86943
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Friday February 2, 2018 4:27 AM
Played with a friend of mine a month ago, he was using prov1 1st 9 holes and was behind two of us in the fairway every hole, at 9 he switched to titleist nxt and got 20 more yards on his drives. All of us talked about prov1 ball and agree that it is Not very long for the average golfer and most people are playing the wrong ball if they are using it. I tried Duo and found them too soft and lost distance, I like srixon soft feel, good distance, feel, straight and does stop on the green $19.99 I like volvik vivid or crystal (same ball just the mat finish) good distance, feels a little harder than soft feel and putts different, stops on the green $30 about, I also like callaway chrome soft, good feel and distance but at $37 just thought there was better value out there. I tried velocity a few years ago a found they were long, but sometime did not hold the green. I will try the new orange velocity this Sunday. IMHO if you are not scoring under 80 and playing prov1, then you are wasting your money on a ball that is not suited for your swing speed or skill level. Mine ss in about 90 and you know after 16 holes it will go down. Look I know prov1 is most popular on tour but look at all the big names that now use callaway, srixon, and taylormade balls. It is even documented that when tiger used a nike ball the public could NOT buy that ball because it was made specifically for tiger. I do not understand the fascination of golfers shooting over 90 that think their game needs a prov1, when have you (meaning everyone, not an attach on 1 person) ever backed the ball up 20 feet. I can get enough spin on volvik and soft feel for the greens and on high approach shots those balls can stay with in 18 inches of the mark. Look you use "street slicks"on a high torgue / horsepower car, not on a Volkswagen.

[[Edited by chevelle on Friday February 2, 2018 4:53 AM]]

[[Edited by chevelle on Friday February 2, 2018 5:35 AM]]

[[Edited by chevelle on Friday February 2, 2018 6:05 AM]]
 Message #86946 - This was a reply to message #86945
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 2, 2018 10:00 AM
I also tried the AVX and like it very much. Got more distance and better control. I also like the Taylor Made TP5X as well. Give them a try.
 Message #86947 - This was a reply to message #86943
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday February 2, 2018 12:11 PM
I was given a sleeve of Velocity balls a couple years ago and didn't like them due to the hard cover. Maybe the new models are better. They are inexpensive so if you bought a dozen and don't like them at least you did not have to invest much.

Remember, if your looking for more distance you might give up feel if you go with the cheaper two-piece designed ball. Do some research, maybe attend a ball fitting event, and I'm sure you can find a ball out there that will give you the distance you want without losing feel around the green. For sure, there a lot of choices out there.

Good luck.
 Message #86948 - This was a reply to message #86947
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday February 4, 2018 4:01 AM
QUOTED  I will try the new orange velocity this Sunday.

Let me know what you think----
 Message #86955 - This was a reply to message #86946
criley_4way

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Sunday February 4, 2018 7:55 AM
QUOTED  It is even documented that when tiger used a nike ball the public could NOT buy that ball because it was made specifically for tiger. I do not understand the fascination of golfers shooting over 90 that think their game needs a prov1, when have you (meaning everyone, not an attach on 1 person) ever backed the ball up 20 feet.

Totally agree that most people are not served by choosing a tour style of ball. They spin too much and most people see that mostly off the driver (hooks and slices) not the wedge. But remember that backing a ball up has almost as much to do with the green and the condition of the club. A fast and pitched green is a big factor in backing up. Also having a "newish" wedge with sharp and clean grooves is a key. I am about to get a new wedge and I will be spinning that club 100s or more RMP compare to my current 2 year old Vokey TVD.
 Message #86956 - This was a reply to message #86946
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Monday February 5, 2018 5:03 PM
Tried out the Velocity today and found them definitely longer than the Wilson duo's--by far. And not bad otherwise---will stick with them for awhile.

Any ideas on where online to find the best deals?
 Message #86974 - This was a reply to message #86956
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    classic club

Wednesday February 7, 2018 6:16 AM
Very well put
 Message #86995 - This was a reply to message #86946

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies