Golf GPS or Range Finder?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 25, 2015 12:25 PM
So i am in the market for a GPS or Range finder and wondered if anyone has any good recommendations or Ones to stay away from price range is about 200 which i know takes away from the expensive/ good range finders but any knowledge would help
 Message #75849
addictedtugolf
RE: Golf GPS or Range Finder?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 25, 2015 1:45 PM
HI...there are several threads in the FORUM section on this topic...I BELIEVE most info is up to date on the technology...

~ATG~
"What's behind me.....is behind me". The original Cannonball Run
 Message #75852 - This was a reply to message #75849
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday December 26, 2015 6:06 PM
If it is a choice between one or the other, I vote for the GPS, unless your a golfer that can truly control your shots to within 18 feet of your target, at which point I think the laser range finder would be of greater value.

My GPS is a watch style, which means wherever I am I have the distance to the front, middle or back of the green, but not precisely the pin. With my eyes seeing the pin can at times be problematic. My GPS auto advances between holes. I have had units that did not and did not find them useful. I have had handheld GPS and didn't care for that either. (Same reason I find the range finder problematic).

What my current watch style GPS does not have, and my next one will have is the range to hazards. I didn't think this was going to be an issue, and generally it isn't, but on those courses like green river or others that have creeks and water hazards crossing the course, like the first hole at Skylinks, it would be nice to know the distance to the hazard. (The range finder can have an advantage here if you have a sightline to the hazard).

My GPS watch was a discontinued model so it was marked down from $250 to $50 on ebay. Customer service as far as adding a couple of courses has been great.

I think the better a golfer you are, the more you can control your shots into very close targets the more you'll like the range finder. For me however having the info on my wrist means never having to take time or carry something from the cart. I stand behind the ball and I know.
 Message #75860 - This was a reply to message #75849
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Saturday December 26, 2015 10:24 PM
I don't use any GPS or laser rangefinders, so I can't offer an opinion on them. But after you do your research, you might want to look at mggolf.com (formerly MasterGrip). They are a mail order company for clubs, balls, gloves, etc. mainly, but not exclusively, under their own brand. I have some of their stuff and it's my source for golf gloves.

They currently have a Laser rangefinder for $149, the SkyCaddie Aire II for $119.95, and the SkyCaddie Watch for $119.95. You can determine if they are products that might suit your needs, but the prices are certainly well with your budget.

The main reason I recommend them is that they sell pretty much everything with a 60 day satisfaction guarantee — full refund minus the shipping. I've tried some things of theirs in the past that I've decided didn't work for me, and never had any problem returning them.
 Message #75861 - This was a reply to message #75860
Bogey1Fogey38

Favorite Golfer:
    Trevino, Lema, Ochoa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Green W/holes n flags

Sunday December 27, 2015 5:33 PM
I had a hand held GPS I bought from a buddy. It gave me all the important info I needed, hazards included. My tired old eyes sometimes could not make out the info, don't wear reading glasses when I golf

Recently switched to a watch GPS, bought it on sale at Amazon, $50 + SH. It gives me back/mid/front, green only, hazards, scorekeeper (don't use, can keep score for up to 4 players). AND it speaks to me, lol - click on the face and it gives me the distance. Also has a watch for telling time, and distance I hit a club. Lot of benefits for a discounted model.

as grantar2 posted - "I vote for the GPS, unless you're a golfer that can truly control your shots to within 18 feet of your target"
it helps when you are not down the middle and need to know about how far you need to hit.

Word of caution - most GPS units will auto change the hole, this can be a problem when you land on an opposite fairway.

Keep it in the short stuff!
> > "How can they beat me? I've been struck by lightning, had two back operations, and been divorced twice."
> > Lee Trevino

> > "Golf is like solitaire. When you cheat, you only cheat yourself."
> > Tony Lema
 Message #75864 - This was a reply to message #75849
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday December 27, 2015 10:29 PM
QUOTED  Recently switched to a watch GPS, bought it on sale at Amazon, $50 + SH. It gives me back/mid/front, green only, hazards, scorekeeper (don't use, can keep score for up to 4 players). AND it speaks to me, lol - click on the face and it gives me the distance. Also has a watch for telling time, and distance I hit a club. Lot of benefits for a discounted model.

is yours the IZZO? That is what I got, love it. Would like the hazards but for $50 it was a great buy.
 Message #75866 - This was a reply to message #75864
Bogey1Fogey38

Favorite Golfer:
    Trevino, Lema, Ochoa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Green W/holes n flags

Monday December 28, 2015 8:40 AM
Not an IZZO - it's a Golf Buddy VT3.
> > "How can they beat me? I've been struck by lightning, had two back operations, and been divorced twice."
> > Lee Trevino

> > "Golf is like solitaire. When you cheat, you only cheat yourself."
> > Tony Lema
 Message #75868 - This was a reply to message #75866
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    George Dunne (ILL)

Monday December 28, 2015 9:11 AM
I have been using a skycaddie for more years than I can remember and swear by it. However, I recently purchased an Izzo Swami on Ebay brand new for $30 including shipping. My wife uses this as she only needs/wants to know distance to the front/middle/back of the greens. No interest in distance to hazards, so it serves her needs perfectly. Hey, for $30 it was a steal - works flawlessly and is almost spot on with mu sky caddie distances,

They normally sell more $$, but I was patient and was able to find it on Ebay for that amount. The only downside I see it that you have to manually advance to the next hole each time.
 Message #75870 - This was a reply to message #75868
bfibel

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines

Wednesday December 30, 2015 9:55 AM
I bought a Bushnell rangefinder on a Black Friday deal. I love it. In addition to locking directly onto the pin, I can tell the distance to reach or carry hazards, which to me is a huge advantage. I shot my best round to date with my rangefinder.

[[Edited by bfibel on Wednesday December 30, 2015 9:56 AM]]
 Message #75906 - This was a reply to message #75849
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Wednesday December 30, 2015 10:03 AM
Rangefinder fan here.

To quote my ol' buddy, Charlton Heston: "I'll give you my rangefinder when you take it from my cold, dead hands".
 Message #75907 - This was a reply to message #75906

Listing 1 to 10 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]