Tiger's impact on golf a key illustration
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 15, 2016 4:11 PM
Taken from a Golf Channel analysis of 30 key stats of Tiger's career, this probably better than any makes the point.

Tiger has earned more than $110 million in official earnings in his PGA Tour career. The year before he turned pro, the Tour’s all-time career earnings leader was Greg Norman – at $9.59 million.

Let that sink in a little, and then consider this statement from the Golfsmith's bankruptcy filing yesterday.

"Recently, economic downturns, industry trends, and global shifts in consumer behavior all have put significant pressure on GSI’s operational performance. Beginning in 2008, the golf industry experienced a steady decline as golf participation slowed during the recession," reads a court filing in the case."This period also marked the beginning of a consistent shift by consumers away from shopping in traditional 'brick and mortar' retail stores toward a preference for the convenience provided by shopping on e-commerce platforms. At the same time, the enthusiasm underpinning the 'Tiger Woods Phenomenon' significantly waned."
 Message #80450
Rat-Patrol
RE: Tiger's impact on golf a key illustration

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday September 15, 2016 4:42 PM
So the "bubble" has burst?
 Message #80452 - This was a reply to message #80450
Hollis

Favorite Golfer:
    Not sure
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goosecreekgc gc

Thursday September 15, 2016 5:31 PM
I find this not only interesting but also amusing considering the number of people who find the sometimes over the top coverage and reporting of Woods bothersome and an intrusion into their viewership of events. This, in my opinion, is evidence that Woods indirectly generates revenue for the entire industry, which is good for all of us in the way that more money for courses and product manufacturers means better facilities, equipment and technology for the consumer.
While I don't consider myself a fan of Tiger, nor do I dislike him, it must be said that I'm in no way annoyed by the coverage. Those who do find the conversation about Tiger annoying, strike me as those who are easily annoyed by the simplest of things.
Lastly, please understand that voicing your complaints to the rest of us can be and often are just as annoying, if not more so than you find the overcoverage to be.
 Message #80453 - This was a reply to message #80450
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Friday September 16, 2016 11:21 AM
I find it funny they blame one guy but in reality they simply bit off more than they could chew. Besides it's only 11 and that means restructuring. If Radio Shack can come back from the dead so can Golfsmith.. just smaller
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #80464 - This was a reply to message #80453
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday July 3, 2019 9:57 AM
Golf Participation Grows For First Time In 14 Years
Chris Chaney

For the first time in more than a decade, the “grow the game” crowd has something to celebrate.

According to the National Golf Foundation, for the first time since 2004, the number of people who played at least one round of golf on a golf course increased in 2018 from 23.8 million to 24.2 million.

While the green grass golf participation showed moderate growth, the off-course participation metric, introduced by the NGF in recent years to “more accurately measure golf’s overall consumer base” rose by nearly 10%.

“Off-course participation, meanwhile, increased by almost 10% in 2018, with an estimated 23 million people hitting golf balls with clubs at golf-entertainment venues like Topgolf and Drive Shack, at stand-alone ranges, and using indoor simulators,” the NGF said.

Golf's positive participation trends: the number on-course golfers shows first measured rise in 14 years as off-course play climbs 10%.https://www.thengfq.com/2019/06/ngfs-2019-participation-report/ … #golf

Even with the growth of the Topgolfs and Drive Shacks of the world, the range is where the majority of off-course participation (12 million) is taking place.

“When combining those who played on a golf course with the 9.3 million others who played exclusively off-course, golf’s overall participant base has climbed to 33.5 million,” the NGF report stated. “This is a gain of 1.4 million participants from 2017, a 4% increase mostly driven by off-course gains.”

While the fringes are growing, the NGF asserted that a stable pool of roughly 20 million golfers, 81% of those who play, “account for 95% of all rounds-played and spending, and therefore is vital to golf businesses and those who make a living in the industry.”

An estimated 2.6 million first-timers tried out golf in 2018, which is at or near historical highs. There were an additional 14.7 million “non-golfers” who said they were “very interested” in trying the game.

While participation increased overall, rounds played dipped by nearly 5%, which the NGF attributes to weather — the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association reported that 2018 was the third-wettest year in the United States dating back to 1895.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #91734 - This was a reply to message #80464
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Wednesday July 3, 2019 11:00 AM
It all boils down to what it all boils down to in everything that has popularity in our culture...

Attention

Tiger creates an incredible amount of attention for golf.

Sad thing is golf should not be relying on Tiger for attention as much as it does. Golf is not only the greatest game on earth, its the most social. We have a culture that is fixated on social platforms yet we as golfers don't express our love for the game enough on them and more importantly the golf course industry does not support those of us that do express of our love for the game nearly enough. I'm out to change all of that.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #91735 - This was a reply to message #80450
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Sunday July 7, 2019 11:18 AM
The one thing I noticed at the time was before the Tiger phenomena you could walk up to any course and get out for a round. After Tiger grabbed everyones attention it became difficult to book a tee time less than 2 or 3 days in advance. I could still walk up and get out as a single most of the time but often had to wait an hour or more for a chance.
 Message #91795 - This was a reply to message #91735

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]