SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday April 9, 2017 8:14 PM
I'm an old baseball player so a natural grip to me is the 10 finger grip which I both on irons and with the putter. I've been in a funk with my putting for a couple of months now. I don't think I'm putting bad but I'm just not making any putts. I assume everyone here started off using a traditional putting grip. So for those of you that changed to left hand low, paint brush, claw, whatever. How long did it take for you to get comfortable with the change?
 Message #83260
1PLUS1
RE: Putter grip

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday April 9, 2017 9:51 PM
Driver/Iron grip is overlap; Putter grip is reverse-overlap (right-handed player). Don't recall when I went to the reverse-overlap...it was many years ago...but it felt comfortable right from the beginning. Have no idea how anyone can putt with those "exotic" methods you described at the end of your post.
 Message #83264 - This was a reply to message #83260
Enyalius

Favorite Golfer:
    Ray Floyd - Craig Stadler
Favorite Golf Course:
    500 Club

Monday April 10, 2017 10:48 AM
I use an overlap grip on irons/driver, but I honestly can't recall what grip I use for my putter. I think I use a ten finger grip -- I just grip the club mindlessly now, I don't think about it.

My GK score tracker tells me I average 2.38 putts per hole. So I'm no hot stick with the putter.

I just wonder if some sort of mechanical flaw has found its way into your putting stroke, and if a brief refresher with a trusted instructor might not do the trick.

Maybe you just need to chip it closer to the pin? What do I know? Best of luck, and post if you find a solution.
 Message #83270 - This was a reply to message #83264
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Monday April 10, 2017 11:01 AM
I would be more interested in how you are holding your club through impact. Also are you underhitting or overhitting the ball? Are you hitting your targets or not?

Determine that and starting working back from there.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #83272 - This was a reply to message #83271
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Monday April 10, 2017 12:40 PM
QUOTED  Driver/Iron grip is overlap; Putter grip is reverse-overlap (right-handed player). Don't recall when I went to the reverse-overlap...it was many years ago...but it felt comfortable right from the beginning. Have no idea how anyone can putt with those "exotic" methods you described at the end of your post.

Pretty much same here. I've always been an overlap and that's also how I putted until I made the change to reverse overlap in HS. That change took very little time to become comfortable (Say rolling 20 balls on the green or so). Left hand low is the only other grip I've dabbled with and it took me a few rounds to get the feel for but nothing too crazy. I felt it worked better on fast greens for me and not well with lag putting at all.
 Message #83273 - This was a reply to message #83264
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Monday April 10, 2017 2:55 PM
I'm the same as 1PLUS1 and lotr, I use the overlap on all clubs except for the putter, which is reverse overlap.

When I get really yippy and/or can't seem to keep putts online, I'll switch to a claw grip. It works great...until it doesn't. Once the claw stops working I go right back to the reverse overlap and start sinking almost every putt I look at. Strange how that works.
 Message #83277 - This was a reply to message #83260
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday April 10, 2017 3:32 PM
Unlike the major clubs, I see putting as a very personal choice. We've seen the pros (who NEED to be successful to make a living) use any number of grip approaches - left hand low, right hand low, baseball, interlocking, claw, and who knows what else. They do what they need to do to get the ball in the hole.

I think the key thing is that you hold the putter comfortably and can make a consistent stroke with it. I don't think "overlap" or any of that matters. If you are comfortable with a grip and can make a consistent stroke, use what works. Once that happens you can address getting the pace right and getting the putt on the line you want, and you won't be thinking about the grip.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #83279 - This was a reply to message #83277
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday April 10, 2017 4:07 PM
QUOTED  I don't think I'm putting bad but I'm just not making any putts.

Mike, I neglected to include this with my earlier reply. If you really have no clue as to why you're not holing enough putts, I would strongly suggest you get together with Scott Mahlberg at Stadium and spend an hour in his putting studio. He uses the TOMI Putting Analysis Program that assesses the components of your putting stroke...aim, effective loft, path, tempo, etc...and could very well expose a flaw you're totally aware of. And after the 30 minute analysis session, he'll work with you on the putting green for another 30 minutes, which includes some valuable tutoring on how to properly read greens.

I was struggling with the same dilemma as you a few years back and looked to Scott for assistance. Although the cost of the lesson was by no means cheap, in my case, I felt I received the best possible value for my hard-earned dollars. The knowledge I gained, along with Scott's guidance, allowed me to eliminate the "impossible to see with the naked eye" issues that were causing me to miss those putts I felt I should have been making. To this day, I look upon it as the most productive golf lesson I've ever had.

If you're interested, here's a link to Scott's website...

http://www.scottmahlberg.com/puttingstudio.html

Thanks for the correction Dave...

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Monday April 10, 2017 5:36 PM]]
 Message #83280 - This was a reply to message #83260
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday April 10, 2017 4:55 PM
http://www.scottmahlberg.com/puttingstudio.html

This is that address.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #83281 - This was a reply to message #83280
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Tuesday April 11, 2017 9:43 PM
I'm similar to Tom Watson in that I'm too stubborn to change, or is that too stupid. I get the two confused.

I was curious because I tried left hand low and it just felt odd and want to know from people who have switched how long it took to get comfortable. I like the theory of left hand low but it just ain't for me. Like David said I think putting is about feel and my current grip feels right.

Another thing that sounds good in theory that I have not tried is looking at the hole when putting. My cousin does this and recently when I played with Gary he did it. I know speith has done this I'm not sure if he still is or not. Sounds like it has merit. In basketball when you shoot you don't look at the ball you're looking at the basket. Or a quarterback looks at his receiver. Seems every other sport your eyes a focused on the target. In golf seems to be th anomaly.
 Message #83312 - This was a reply to message #83281

Listing 1 to 10 of 20 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]