The Eagle That Wasn't
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 23, 2017 11:45 AM
While sixpez/Keith and I were playing the par-4 14th hole Sunday morning at Bermuda Dunes, I hit a beautiful gap wedge approach shot from 114 yards that was all over the stick. It landed near the pin, and sixpez yelled out “Get in the hole.” A moment later, it did just that, dropping into the cup for an eagle 2! I instinctively let out a celebratory howl and sixpez ran over to high five me. It was quite an adrenaline rush to hit a shot so perfectly AND to see it drop in. I think I’ve only holed maybe six or seven full-swing shots throughout my entire life of playing golf, and of those, I’ve only seen it drop in the hole once or twice.

Keith then approached his ball, and as he addressed it, I saw him lean over it oddly. Most GK’ers know it takes sixpez about half a second to address the ball and hit, so I immediately knew this was a problem.

“Is that me?” I asked.

Affirmative. Ouch.

Backtracking a little bit, we were both playing ProV1s with the number 1. Mine had some yellow Sharpie markings on it, and Keith’s had a Quail Lodge logo on the side. On this hole, Keith kinda sprayed and popped up his drive, and it didn’t go far. His second shot was hindered by trees, so he had to somewhat punch out, which he hit pretty well and advanced it down the fairway. When we drove up to that next ball, I asked him who it was, and he assumed his second shot had gone farther than my drive. He said it was me, and when I addressed it, the logo/marking side was toward the turf, so I never really doubted Keith’s assertion that it was me. After all, it looked just like my ball, and he said it was.

But fast-forward to him leaning over his ball to take a closer look, and suddenly my joy turned to utter disillusionment. It felt like I’d been kicked in the stomach. I told Keith it must feel like someone who gets duped by one of those fake winning lottery tickets. But now, 48 hours removed, I’ve come to realize it’s probably a much better story this way than it could have been as a standard hole-out. Also, I fully recognize it’s obviously my responsibility to identify my own ball before I hit.

By the way, I’m not posting this to humiliate or embarrass Keith. I know he felt bad about it, and I figure if he hadn’t misidentified the ball, I wouldn’t have holed out the other shot (I proved later in the day I suck at 90-yard wedges), and then we wouldn’t have an eagle OR this story to tell. And I’m pretty certain neither one of us will forget this story anytime soon.
 Message #83798
sixpez
RE: The Eagle That Wasn't
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Tuesday May 23, 2017 1:12 PM
You of all people should know not to trust my eyesight or distance judgment on a golf course!

It's not that often either of us play a Pro-V1, let alone both of us with the same number. I had already forgotten just how terrible my drive was and how limited I was in advancing it on the second shot from the trees. I never looked at the ball. I just assumed it was yours and never gave it a second thought (well, not until about 30 seconds later).
 Message #83799 - This was a reply to message #83798
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Tuesday May 23, 2017 1:44 PM
Those things happens. Most the times it's unintended. But, too bad it wasn't your ball.

I remember a four-ball match I was in... on the #12th par 5, my opponent and I were even, they parked their cart on one ball and so we went to the other ball thinking that's my ball. My opponent played first and made it close to the hole for his third, then I played and missed the green on right fringe for my third. Here comes my partner looking for his ball (in his own cart). To make the long story short, my opponent hit my partners' ball, and I played my opponent's ball. Both me and my opponent lost the hole for team and tied the hole in individual. No one were laughing at the time, but it was a freakin fiasco and everything became funnier at dinner time.
Play from a position!
 Message #83801 - This was a reply to message #83798
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Tuesday May 23, 2017 2:28 PM
QUOTED  It's not that often either of us play a Pro-V1, let alone both of us with the same number.

That’s what is so truly mind boggling about this to me – the series of coincidences that had to occur for this to happen. Consider:

1. We were both playing the same brand, model and number of ball, which I don’t remember ever happening in the hundreds of rounds Keith and I have played together.

2. Our balls ended up in close enough proximity, in the middle of the fairway, to cause confusion.

3. Out of approximately 1,000 non-putt strokes I’ve hit this year (yes, I did the math, loosely), I choose this moment – hitting the one ball that wasn’t mine – to hit the best, most precise shot I’ve hit all year.
 Message #83804 - This was a reply to message #83799
hammer74

Favorite Golfer:
    couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble, Pelican

Tuesday May 23, 2017 3:23 PM
that sucks!

if I were you, I would just forget Keith even mentioned the wrong ball. LOL.
 Message #83806 - This was a reply to message #83804
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday May 23, 2017 4:07 PM
You weren't playing alternate shot?
 Message #83809 - This was a reply to message #83806
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Wednesday May 24, 2017 9:01 AM
Dang that sucks!! A similar thing happened to me in a relatively casual tournament. The third hole is a shorter fairway, then over a deep and overgrown ravine, UP to the green. That uphill section is grass never mowed. My opponent and I both hit there. We walked over the bridge, my opponent stopped to check out the first ball, and told me it was mine. I hit a perfect shot within 2 inches of the hole, on track for a bird. Her partner was up on the green and stopped us. She then asked what balls we were playing, ID'd the ball as her partner's, and I was DQ'ed on the hole.

I learned a VERY valuable lesson that day!! I don't care who I'm playing I must have my own eyes on the ball with 100% assurance that it's mine!
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #83814 - This was a reply to message #83809
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Wednesday May 24, 2017 10:11 AM
Great story

I agree it is better than a story about just holing out.

Over the years I have come close to playing the wrong ball countless times and have played the wrong ball many times only to realize once I reach the green that it isn't mine.

I now mark my balls with a distinctive color and I always mark over the number so I don't mistake it.
 Message #83816 - This was a reply to message #83798
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday May 24, 2017 3:57 PM
One way or another that ball was meant to get holed on the next shot and maybe Keith was meant to knock it in and Mark stole his thunder?
 Message #83823 - This was a reply to message #83816
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday May 24, 2017 4:09 PM
QUOTED  One way or another that ball was meant to get holed on the next shot and maybe Keith was meant to knock it in and Mark stole his thunder?

Yeah, that's probably it.
 Message #83824 - This was a reply to message #83823

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]