Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Leupole Laser Range Finder - Should I buy one?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Leupole Laser Range Finder - Should I buy one?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
grantar2
Leupole Laser Range Finder - Should I buy one?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 26, 2017 10:36 PM
Currently the Leupold GX-2i2 Rangefinder with TGR, Slope and club suggestion is on sale for $209, the Leupold GX-1i2 is on sale for $169.99 the model does not feature slope or the TGR allowance for temperature, altitude and slope. (both units are new not refurbished).

Most reviews on the two products are favorable, with the GX-2i2 being a little slower to lock on and the screen being a little harder to read against dark backgrounds. However the GX-2i2 was highly rated and a best value in the annual ranger finder comparison when it was new.

My experience with Leupold is with rifle scopes where they are very good, and well respected.

I may have to pull the trigger on buying or not on one of these units very soon before they sell out. Is the TGR and Slope worth the extra $50, and do those who currently use laser range finders feel these would be a good first range finder, and is so which one?
 Message #83847
Rat-Patrol
RE: Leupole Laser Range Finder - Should I buy one?

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday May 26, 2017 10:40 PM
I have an older model and it works well, always has. Where are they on sale?
 Message #83848 - This was a reply to message #83847
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Friday May 26, 2017 10:46 PM
Never mind the should I, I did buy the GX 2i2. They are on sale on eBay from Budget Golfer. Use the code P20MEMDAY for an additional 20% off. My cost out the door with free shipping was $167.20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391697024457

The receipt says I should have it Tuesday June 6th just in time to try it at the Guru outing at Black Gold Golf Club on Thursday June 8th.
 Message #83849 - This was a reply to message #83848
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday May 27, 2017 8:10 AM
Good deal! I like mine, saves time, I can scope a lay up spot, hazards, etc. mine only does distance . . . I'll do my own reckoning from there thank you very much.
 Message #83850 - This was a reply to message #83849
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Saturday May 27, 2017 10:39 AM
Good Optics? Does images look dark when you look through the eyepiece, that is was would be my major consideration especially in low light (twilight). I like my Canon for just that reason. The optics allow a lot of light and I can see an image in low light.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #83852 - This was a reply to message #83850
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday May 27, 2017 11:04 AM
Reports are the optics are super bright. On the GX 2i2 the information is displayed in black text which some people said made seeing the club selection data at the edge harder to see. Most reviewers had no problem.

Ratpatrol I hear you on making your own choice, but with the extra 20% off bringing the price down with shipping to $167 I decided I could afford to have it all. If I don't want the slope, temperature, altitude data factored in, I can just switch modes and it will display distance only and be tournament legal.

The fog mode was a selling feature also.

Leupold GX-2i2 Rangefinder

Leupold precision optics, proprietary laser technology that ranges the pin easily, even at extended range, and a scan mode available at any time, there is simply no other brand of golf rangefinder that can keep pace.

Optical System

Our engineers combine precision glass, cutting edge coating technology and rugged structural components to create the most desired optical products on the market. The optical system in the GX golf rangefinders is built to the same rugged, exacting standards.

You can expect no less than bright, clear optics. Accurate ranging. Low glare. Scratch resistance. And years of dependable use.

Club Selector

Leupold's proprietary Club Selector allows you to set the GX-4i to your individual hitting strength. To do this, you enter your personal striking distance for the 8, 6 and 4 irons. In conjunction with TRG, the GX-4i then recommends the appropriate club for your hitting strength, ensuring a reliable shot to reach your intended target.

Digitally Enhanced Accuracy (DNA)

Fueled by an exclusive new rangefinder engine technology, three years in the making, the GX-3i and 4i with DNA propel golf laser rangefinding to new levels of precision, and speed. Get faster, more precise ranging with resolution to within 1/10th of a yard against all background colors and textures. DNA takes the groundbreaking GX series to a new level! DNA was added to the 2 series GX-1i2 and GX-2i2.

Durability

Our products are battered and abused by thousands of enthusiasts every day and they are legendary for their durability. We know how to make a product rugged and we’ve poured that knowledge into the weatherproof Leupold golf rangefinder. So the next time you play through an ill-timed squall, you can be confident at least one friend will stick by you side - your Leupold golf rangefinder.

Fog Mode

Rain or shine, many golfers hit the links regardless of condtitions; that's why we designed Fog Mode.

Most rangefinders give measurements from the first target returned, which in some cases is the fog between you and the pin.

Your GX will cut through the weather and provide fast, accurate measurements to get you on the green.

You don't let anything stand between you and the cup, so why should your rangefinder?

Quick Set Menu

The Quick Set Menu is intuitive and easy to use, giving you fast access to the incredible performance of your GX golf rangefinder. All features and modes are easy to see without cluttering the field of view.

Scan Mode

When you want multiple readings in one quick sweep, just hold down the Power button and the display will continuously update with accurate line-of-site measurments. As an extra benefit, on courses utilizing prism technology, your GX will beep and the display will freeze the moment you scan past a prism-topped flag stick, assuring you of an accurate reading.

True Golf Range™ (TGR™)

The Leupold GX-2i and GX-4i measure the line-of-sight (LOS) distance as well as the elevation. When a target lies uphill, striking distances must be calculated longer and the hole played accordingly.
 Message #83854 - This was a reply to message #83852
criley_4way

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday May 27, 2017 11:19 AM
The optics are great.
The Slope is WAY over rated on all units. Seriously do you need a rangefinder to tell you what club to hit? Wind, Slope, bailout, and lie make such a difference.
Leupold customer service is AWESOME. Great accuracy. Love the units especially if you can get a decent price.
 Message #83855 - This was a reply to message #83854
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday May 27, 2017 11:25 AM
Leopold is a top quality product, bow hunters I know use them as well. For $167 you got a great deal I paid twice that and I am more than satisfied (and anyone who knows me knows I am a bit on the frugal side, to say the least). My range finder is always the first thing I double check for when leaving the course.
 Message #83856 - This was a reply to message #83855
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday May 27, 2017 11:26 AM
P.S. . . . don't listen to ringworm!
 Message #83857 - This was a reply to message #83856
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday May 27, 2017 10:06 PM
Criley_4way, actually I really don't mind having the rangefinder suggest a club, because it knows the altitude and temperature conditions as well as slope, and it is programed with my average distance for three key clubs. That data is derived using trackman 10 shot average at a known temp and altitude.

Anyone who has played with me, will question the value of that knowledge, but you have to have targets to improve too. The device doesn't know wind conditions, but it like the GPS on my wrist are just aids.

I think the biggest value in the rangefinder will be during practice at the range. I get a large bucket of range balls every day included in my American Golf Club membership but seldom use them as the range from any points to the practice targets is unknown. I do most of my practice indoors at the PGA Super Store where I have use of the instrumented system. I can see swing speed, face angle, launch angle, and distance. The range finder won't give me the same data but it will give me accurate target distances, allowing me to practice off of grass.

When using the pitching and chipping area it will let me set up from 10,20,30,40,50 yards accurately. I have orange plastic cones I can place at each distance. I get the use of the chipping area for $2.

It won't take me long to figure out if it helps, hurts or doesn't contribute. For $167 I couldn't resist having it.

I believe data drives improvement. I have diabetic Neuropathy in both my hands and feet, so I am not a feel player.

With systems like Arcos and as someone figures out how to use the camera on a google or android phone's camera to develop an app to give launch, swing, data you can all of this info being uploaded to make a future range finder a virtual caddy. In the meantime I can pull data together.

My $58 dollar GPS has reduced several strokes off my average round, hope this helps shave a couple of more by letting me know the distance to obstacles. The only problem with the GPS is you become as popular as a guy with a pick up truck or van when friends are moving. Even my buddies who claim they don't need one, ask me the distance all the time.

[[Edited by grantar2 on Saturday May 27, 2017 11:47 PM]]
 Message #83862 - This was a reply to message #83855

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]