New Wedges
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 30, 2017 10:04 AM
On Thursday during my round the head on my sand wedge came loose, and well I will have that fixed today, it was an excuse along with memorial day sales to buy not one, but two new wedges. (new to me).

Wedges are something I wont buy used since the groves and face wear on these clubs more than others, but used is an interesting definition. This weekend I was able to buy direct from Callaway on their eBay store a pair of Mack Daddy 2 wedges in 54 degrees, and 58 degrees. CALLAWAY GOLF MACK DADDY 2 TOUR SLATE SAND WEDGE 54°-11° (BOUNCE) STEEL WEDGE $63.56 with tax free shipping, and CALLAWAY GOLF MACK DADDY 2 CHROME LOB WEDGE 58°-08° (BOUNCE) C GRIND STEEL S300 $60.33 with tax free shipping. I have already received my certificates of authenticity.

Both clubs are sold as used, but the note from Callaway are they have not been played, essentially they are returned store inventory, or demo's.
Outlet Condition:
This is our highest rated Certified Pre-Owned condition. Outlet condition clubs have never been hit. However, they cannot be sold as new as they could have been floor samples or demo clubs. Outlet condition clubs could exhibit some minor scuffs on the sole or other form of shop-wear.
Outlet Condition - What It Means...
Grip:Always a high quality golf grip.
Shaft:No signs of any wear or use. No bag wear.
Faceerfect sharp grooves with scoring lines and paint fully intact.
Sole:May have a few brush marks but otherwise perfect.

I will have to have both shafts lengthened by 2.5" and well the grip will be new, I will need to replace it with a medium grip which I use on all my clubs, this is still a great value for what was a highly rated club. Very much looking forward to testing it.

They arrive June 6th, we play Black Gold on June 8th, do I put them in the bag? Will post a review after I get some work done with them.
 Message #83897
evildrummerhb
RE: New Wedges

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday May 30, 2017 11:34 AM
Enjoy your new wedges. IMO Callaway has a great product with the Mack Daddy line. I picked up a 60* PM Grind last month and can't believe how versatile it is.

Definitely try to get some practice time in before taking them out for a round. If the loft, flex or bounce is different than what you had before, you'll need to be aware of the difference in performance. My $.02.
 Message #83899 - This was a reply to message #83897
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Tuesday May 30, 2017 3:17 PM
Thanks for the advice, sounds solid.

Have you tried different balls with the wedge? What wedge where you playing before. Did you notice any substantial effects.

Have to say I am looking forward to trying them out, was torn between this and the Cleveland that were also on sale. The Callaways were about 20% less. The 54 degree will replace the Callaway sand wedge that came with my set, the 58 degree will replace my trusty 60 Adams Golf wedge
 Message #83911 - This was a reply to message #83899
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday May 30, 2017 8:29 PM
QUOTED  I will have to have both shafts lengthened by 2.5"...

Are you aware that will drastically alter the swingweight...by some 15 points(!)...and feel of the club unless the S300 is replaced with a lightweight shaft, you elect to counterbalance the existing Dynamic Gold, or opt to remove weight from the clubhead? Assuming those wedges are standard length to begin with...generally in the 35.0-35.5 inch range...making them 2.5" longer will produce a club that will feel markedley head-heavy, something that will read in the high 'F-Range' on the swingweight scale.

Unless your entire set is a couple inches over standard with extraordinarily high swingweights...something that suits your game...you could be compromising the feel and performance of the "new" wedges to a great degree.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday May 30, 2017 10:06 PM]]
 Message #83914 - This was a reply to message #83897
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday May 31, 2017 12:03 AM
1PLUS1,
yep I know, but at 6' 4" standard length irons and wedges are not a choice. Plus I like heavy heads. All of my irons and wedges except my 64 degree wedge which I use on some par 3's like Hartwell, or courses with a number of elevated greens have led tape added. All are lengthened. The only clubs I have that aren't weighted are my driver, 3,5,7 woods and my putter. I occasionally add weight to my 3 wood. Well all of my irons are lengthened my driver is slightly shortened, my 3,5,7 woods are standard length, all have senior shafts and medium size grips.
 Message #83920 - This was a reply to message #83914
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Wednesday May 31, 2017 7:58 AM
QUOTED  Have you tried different balls with the wedge? What wedge where you playing before. Did you notice any substantial effects.

So far I've only used K-Sig balls with it, so no comparisons. I had a blade style 62* before that I only used as a desert wedge, it had very little bounce and I didn't have much confidence in it. Now I have a legitimate 4th wedge option.
 Message #83923 - This was a reply to message #83911
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday May 31, 2017 9:08 PM
Received the 58 degree today, beautiful, and brand new unused as expected. Look forward to getting it in for lengthening, and re-gripping tomorrow.
 Message #83948 - This was a reply to message #83923
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Friday June 2, 2017 4:21 PM
Lengthened and re-gripped and feels perfect. The OC gun show is this weekend so wont be able to get down to the range and get some numbers, but look forward to hitting this club, feels amazing in my hands, very good to the eye.
 Message #83967 - This was a reply to message #83948
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday June 2, 2017 4:39 PM
Semi-related, I get emails occasionally from Mile Square for what seems like a really good deal. (I haven't done it and am not vouching for it, but if I was in the market to buy a wedge, I'd strongly consider it.) They have Callaway Wedge/Short Game Clinics where you get 90 minutes of short game instruction along with a custom fit MD3 wedge for $149. Looks like they limit these to 10 people at a time. Sign up for Mile Square's email list or LewCooperGolf.com if you're interested.
 Message #83968 - This was a reply to message #83967
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday June 2, 2017 6:01 PM
Surprised you didn't splurge for a PXG wedge at $800 per club. LOL

At that price those things better hit the ball on the green for me!
 Message #83969 - This was a reply to message #83968

Listing 1 to 10 of 19 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]