Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
What are YOUR pet peeves in a playing partner?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What are YOUR pet peeves in a playing partner?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 61 Replies

PAGES: 7 1 2 3 4 5
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Nicklaus T Olivas Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 31, 2017 10:05 AM
Here are a dozen or so things that I have heard mentioned over the years just to get this topic started and for you to consider... LOL, because some of these describe nearly ALL of us at some point in our golfing lives, whether intentional or inadvertent, conscious or subconscious...

1-The guy who plays out of turn for no apparent reason.

2-The guy who throws clubs or yells after most poor shots, then cannot find his ball because he is more focused on his temper tantrum than watching his ball.

3-The guy who drinks excessively.

4-Smokers.

5-The guy who talks excessively.

6-The guy who is constantly moving or making noise (including loud music) while you are trying to play.

7-The guy who takes a bunch of practice swings.

8- The guy who stands over his ball too long.

9-The guy who is always walking in your line on the green.

10-The guy who tosses back your ball w/o asking if you intend to putt out.

11-Mr/Mrs. not prepared to play. They never have a spare ball in their pocket and have to go back to the cart after every lost ball. Usually are short on tees and ball markers as well.

12-The guy with the vanity handicap playing the tips.

SLOW Play as a general term is probably the most often heard pet peeve. But SLOW Play in itself is a term of art... is it the course (no Marshall, allows 5somes, tee times too close together), that particular day (tournament or just really busy) or your playing partners who are at fault for the slow POP?

Is a guy who takes a half dozen practice swings and then immediately hits a slow player? Or is a guy who takes no practice swings but stands over the ball longer a slower player?

I take both extremes to the next level... does it really matter if a player takes an extra 15 seconds unless there is substantial real estate open in front of our group AND there are players on our heels waiting to hit? I have never grasped how hurrying up just so we can go sit on the next tee box for an extra minute waiting on the group in front to clear speeds up play?

I personally can put up with almost anyone's personality traits. My pet peeves deal with the way they treat the golf course and by doing so are thoughtless toward their fellow golfers.

My top pet peeve in a playing partner is the guy who takes a bunch of practice swings with divots... and often doesn't fix them. I pointed out to a player I used to play with semi regularly that he took out as much turf on every par 3 tee box as you would reasonably expect an entire 4some to take... and did he ever fix a divot? Rarely, and he did not seem satisfied and ready to go until he had taken at least one Phil Mickelson 64 degree wedge type divot out of every par 3 tee box.

Last pet peeve... I love the guy that will rake the divot he made in a trap... but not the dozen footprints to/from that divot? I would rather play out of his divot that his footprint 9/10 times.

I am all for quick play. However, if not raking traps, not fixing divots & walking by a half dozen ball marks is the way to achieve playing fast... then fast POP is merely an excuse to be a thoughtless, lazy asshole to all the other golfers on the course IMO.

I do not remember the golfer that stated this many years ago, but I always took it to heart and thought it was the proper way to play golf... leave the golf course in at least as good, preferably better condition than you found it in.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday June 1, 2017 11:06 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #83925
abbacat
RE: What are YOUR pet peeves in a playing partner?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday May 31, 2017 10:33 AM
I can put up with a lot of those things but #10 will always make me not happy.
 Message #83926 - This was a reply to message #83925
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Wednesday May 31, 2017 10:44 AM
Good question. One for me is the guy who never compliments a good shot. Seems silly, petty even, but it is irritating to me because I think it is an indication that the other person does not care. If you are in a group, even with people you do not know, is it too much to ask that the members of the group are cordial to each other?

Your list has some good ones. If someone takes quite a few practice swings, or stands over the ball for an inordinate amount of time, I won't watch. I find that keeps the irritation level down. I might add someone always standing directly behind the hole while you are putting.

Talking about raking the traps. A few years ago, I was playing in a better ball match with a partner against the president and past president of the men's club I belong to. I was in a fairway bunker no a par five, waiting on the group in front. With nothing to do, I raked the trap of the many footprints and contours it had. All behind my ball. That started a lengthy discussion of whether what I had done is allowed. It was collegial, not being called on a rule violation, but whether it was a violation. It took a couple of holes, but I found the reference to that rule being changed and allowing one to do that (subject to qualifications like not improving stance). It was a no brainer though. Why not rake while I was otherwise doing nothing?
 Message #83927 - This was a reply to message #83925
HmtGolfGuy

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Wednesday May 31, 2017 11:22 AM
QUOTED  Talking about raking the traps. A few years ago, I was playing in a better ball match with a partner against the president and past president of the men's club I belong to. I was in a fairway bunker no a par five, waiting on the group in front. With nothing to do, I raked the trap of the many footprints and contours it had. All behind my ball. That started a lengthy discussion of whether what I had done is allowed. It was collegial, not being called on a rule violation, but whether it was a violation. It took a couple of holes, but I found the reference to that rule being changed and allowing one to do that (subject to qualifications like not improving stance). It was a no brainer though. Why not rake while I was otherwise doing nothing?

Excellent suggestion! Not one I usually think of, I'm usually just trying to figure out how to get out of the bunker. Will keep it in mind for those occasions.

One I've done is, on those occasions I'm out of a hole, I'll start scouring a section of the green for ball marks, or rake most/all of a bunker. Takes my mind off whatever bad swing/mistakes I made and helps the course conditions as well.

As for the original list - #3, absolutely. Nothing against have a couple drinks, but when you start chasing the cart girl on #7 (literally, running after the cart as it drove away) to get your 5th beer you're probably not there for the golf. Or as I observed another time, a guy falling out of the cart, hitting his head on a rock, then rolling IN to a lake - and his first statement was about being mad "'cause I lost my beer, man!" I told a friend of mine I'll make you a deal - I won't come over and play golf inside your house, you don't get smashed on the course.
 Message #83928 - This was a reply to message #83927
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Wednesday May 31, 2017 11:36 AM
Slow play (in various forms) will annoy me, though it largely depends on the overall pace of play. If we're waiting on the group ahead on every shot, then there's no need to rush. If the course is wide open, then I like to keep moving at a good pace.

I don't really get bothered by anyone talking or moving around while I am hitting. I usually hit so fast I don't give anyone time to settle down or finish a conversation. I will often carry on a conversation as I am taking my own swing. : )

I do have one big personal pet peeve. I play a big fade and I am not a long hitter. On most fairways, I am the first one to hit my second shot and I am usually using longer clubs (3-woods, hybrids, long irons that bring more fade into play). Sometimes I just have to lay up. I do not like when other people drive up to their balls ahead of me and then just sit/stand there, particularly when they are on my left side. If someone is in my left eye's peripheral view, that will make me very uncomfortable. Even if they are well left of my normal fade line, I still don't like the feeling of possibly pulling one hard and hitting them.

You can ask allan_grant how much this rattled me during our match this year at Oak Quarry. The guys we played with did this on almost every hole, even though we asked them to move (or at least watch the F out) time and time again. They were often directly in my line, not just the periphery. They would just sit in their carts, facing forward, talking to themselves and not paying attention at all. It was very uncomfortable on every level. We got tired of having to say something, but I sure wasn't going to risk hitting them (no matter how much I disliked them).

To counter RDDenn's comment, it also bugs me when someone says "great shot" (or "goo-shaw" ) no matter what you do. People just like to say it out of politeness, but it's actually quite annoying when you've hit a poor/mediocre shot that deserves no praise.
 Message #83929 - This was a reply to message #83927
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bayonet-Black Horse

Wednesday May 31, 2017 12:36 PM
Playing music from your cart way too loud (if I can hear it from the group in front/behind, it's too loud)
Playing the wrong tees (see this WAY too often; the tips are for the pros and you are hitting a 220 yard drive?)
Temper tantrums in excess and throwing clubs (everyone has bad shots but throwing clubs is so inane)
Guys who take golf WAY too seriously (you aren't being paid to play and this is NOT the PGA Tour)
Smoking weed on the course (no need to add another type of grass to a course)
Excess practice swings (especially when the result is pathetic)
Waiting from distances of 250+ yards when you know you can't reach the group ahead
Not taking a compliment well (no good deed...)
 Message #83931 - This was a reply to message #83925
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    CHUCK NORRIS
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Wednesday May 31, 2017 1:02 PM
The Biggest Pet Peeve is when people line up then take a practice swing or two the step away and look down the fairway from behind the ball.

I also hate when three people watch one putt then all switch to the next. It should never take more than 5 mins for a 4 some to putt out.
 Message #83932 - This was a reply to message #83931
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday May 31, 2017 1:19 PM
#2 would likely be my biggest pet peeve off of your list. If pro's who practice regularly, often have coaches, can miss hit a shot, those of us who play less frequently and are less gifted physically shouldn't be surprised if we miss a shot.

My biggest peeve is someone who wants to offer me swing advice off the first tee, or anywhere along the course if I don't ask. I work very hard not to have any swing thoughts during around. I have a routine, I follow the routine, the results are what they are.

The next biggest pet peeve is the person who wants to play speed golf. I am not looking for a two hour 18 hole round. I don't want to hold the group behind me up, and I prefer not to chat with the group in front on the tee. But some people go out when the leagues are playing, complain the whole way. If there is league play on course I don't expect every group to let my twosome play through.

Sorta tide to my biggest peeve, is don't stand directly behind me off the tee analyzing my swing. I can see you and it's not something I need. I can live with it, but it's really not polite.
 Message #83933 - This was a reply to message #83929
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday May 31, 2017 2:25 PM
My biggest peeve is the group playing for a quarter a hole or even a dollar that putts out every shot. Also the groups that ride together and when nobody is holding them up bounce from ball to ball. If there is a slight hold up, I get it nobody is going anywhere and you might as well take your time.

Sorry to sbara, but you probably wouldn't enjoy playing with me. I do have a little speaker that I hang from my push cart, however I check to see if anybody in the group objects before I turn it on, and keep it low enough that only my group can here it if they are in my general vicinity. However, I am a smoker (both cigarettes and non), I try to be respectful of those that aren't but you can only get so far away from people in your group, and golfing is really the only time I smoke.
 Message #83934 - This was a reply to message #83933
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Wednesday May 31, 2017 3:15 PM
QUOTED  Also the groups that ride together and when nobody is holding them up bounce from ball to ball.

Okay, this is one of mine also. Unless you are playing with Sixpez :-), drive to a ball, drop a guy off with clubs, then go to the next ball so there is no delay driving from one ball to the next. You do not have to be sitting next to a person hitting the ball to watch the shot and see where it went. If I am driving, I will more often than not either leave the cart with my cart partner and walk to my ball (assuming I am closer to the hole) or park the cart roughly in between so we have equal walking distance.
 Message #83936 - This was a reply to message #83934

Listing 1 to 10 of 61 Replies

PAGES: 7 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]