Phil announces plan to skip U.S. Open
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday June 3, 2017 10:47 PM
I love Phil Mickelson, but am I being cynical if I interpret his announcement today as an effort to pressure his daughter's school into rescheduling their graduation ceremony? The whole "haven't officially withdrawn in case maybe something changes" message seemed too calculated to be genuine. Hope it works! :-)
 Message #83986
weber2323
RE: Phil announces plan to skip U.S. Open
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Saturday June 3, 2017 11:02 PM
Certainly gets his name in the news because it hasn't really been his play as of late and we stop talking about you know who....
 Message #83987 - This was a reply to message #83986
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Saturday June 3, 2017 11:21 PM
I view this as another example of Mickelson making it all about himself. Supposedly, he hasn't reached a "final" decision; if that's the case, then why say anything at all? And I'm sure the graduation date was established quite some time ago so it's highly doubtful he just found out about it. Reminds me of the time he wore a pager and made sure everyone knew he planned to walk off the golf course in the event his wife went into labor during a previous U.S. Open. This guy is never at a loss when it comes to talking about himself and promoting his "image".

Never considered the rescheduling factor but if that were the case, it would be the pinnacle of selfishness. I tend to think it's more likely based on whether or not his daughter and/or family insist that he attend the graduation. Still, to turn this into a "Does He Play or Not" watch...one that was generated by Mickelson and his publicist...is a joke. If family is indeed more important than golf, officially withdraw and be done with it.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Saturday June 3, 2017 11:29 PM]]
 Message #83988 - This was a reply to message #83986
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Saturday June 3, 2017 11:21 PM
At first, I was thinking, "Good for him," then I remembered Phil doesn't do anything not pre-calculated to make himself look good in the public eye. Much like TW, I respect his skills on the course, but they resemble Charles Barkley's classic "I am not a role model" commercial.
 Message #83989 - This was a reply to message #83987
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday June 4, 2017 12:05 AM
QUOTED  And I'm sure the graduation date was established quite some time ago so it's highly doubtful he just found out about it.

I think he said he's known about it being a conflict for six months or so, but was hoping something might change. Well, the U.S. Open isn't being rescheduled, so what does that leave?
 Message #83990 - This was a reply to message #83988
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday June 4, 2017 1:57 AM
QUOTED 
QUOTED  And I'm sure the graduation date was established quite some time ago so it's highly doubtful he just found out about it.

I think he said he's known about it being a conflict for six months or so, but was hoping something might change. Well, the U.S. Open isn't being rescheduled, so what does that leave?

His daughter failing to earn her diploma and being held back due to poor grades?

Apparently Mickelson hasn't officially tendered his withdrawal due to an outside chance that weather issues, either at home or the U.S. Open venue, make it possible for him to attend both events. I can see it now: a private supersonic jet, engines fired up, waiting to whisk Mickelson away from the graduation, allowing him to arrive on the first tee just ahead of his scheduled starting time...and all captured in real-time on CBS Sports' Phil-Cam, with obligatory voice-over provided by the melodramatic Jim Nantz. Wouldn't put it past him one bit.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Sunday June 4, 2017 2:59 AM]]
 Message #83991 - This was a reply to message #83990
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Nicklaus T Olivas Maderas

Sunday June 4, 2017 6:41 AM
QUOTED  I view this as another example of Mickelson making it all about himself. Supposedly, he hasn't reached a "final" decision; if that's the case, then why say anything at all? And I'm sure the graduation date was established quite some time ago so it's highly doubtful he just found out about it. Reminds me of the time he wore a pager and made sure everyone knew he planned to walk off the golf course in the event his wife went into labor during a previous U.S. Open. This guy is never at a loss when it comes to talking about himself and promoting his "image".

Never considered the rescheduling factor but if that were the case, it would be the pinnacle of selfishness. I tend to think it's more likely based on whether or not his daughter and/or family insist that he attend the graduation. Still, to turn this into a "Does He Play or Not" watch...one that was generated by Mickelson and his publicist...is a joke. If family is indeed more important than golf, officially withdraw and be done with it.

Jeff, could not have been stated better many of my initial thoughts as the "story" broke... if it is truly about the daughter/family, no public explanation should be required unless it IS more about your image as a good guy/family man.

QUOTED  Apparently Mickelson hasn't officially tendered his withdrawal due to an outside chance that weather issues, either at home or the U.S. Open venue, make it possible for him to attend both events. I can see it now: a private supersonic jet, engines fired up, waiting to whisk Mickelson away from the graduation, allowing him to arrive on the first tee just ahead of his scheduled starting time...and all captured in real-time on CBS Sports' Phil-Cam, with obligatory voice-over provided by the melodramatic Jim Nantz. Wouldn't put it past him one bit.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Does anyone remember all the publicity Deion Sanders got for playing in an NFL game during the day, then flying to and participating in a World Series game that night while a member of the Falcons & Braves about 25 years ago?

How about race car drivers doing "the double"... Indianapolis 500 early, then fly to and participate in the World 600 late on the Sunday before Memorial Day?

In both cases, regardless of how they performed... the person who was in all honesty probably not doing EITHER of their employers justice by being 100% prepared to perform up to their capabilities that day was almost guaranteed to be at least the 2nd biggest story of the game or race, shortly after who won.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #83994 - This was a reply to message #83988
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Nicklaus T Olivas Maderas

Sunday June 4, 2017 7:45 AM
I know as a professional you should not enter and take up a spot if not prepared to play all 4 days.

However, the cynic in me feels like it is also pretty presumptive that even if entered/playing, that Phil thinks it's a given that he would be required to attend the U.S. Open on Saturday anyway?

Would it be a shock if Phil were in contention on Sunday afternoon in a 2017 Major = no. However, he is to the age where it would also not be a shock if he missed the cut either. Because it is my recollection that players better than Phil have missed multiple cuts in Majors before... even when they were much younger and one of the top 5, if not THE top player in the world. A 46 year old who has fallen to 23rd in the World Rankings could easily be ineligible for the weekend because he was above "X" score after Fridays play.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #83997 - This was a reply to message #83994
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday June 4, 2017 8:39 AM
Jeez-O! The guys just a proud father that wanted the world to know his prodigy is not just the the smartest girl in the room, but the smartest girl in school! . . . and I thought I was the jaded, skeptical one!
 Message #83998 - This was a reply to message #83997
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday June 4, 2017 8:46 AM
. . . and when I saw him talking about it, and I may be wrong, it looked more like the reporters cornered him for some questions. Very Trumpian for him to know that the media would grab onto that tidbit like a dog to a treat and run with it . . .
 Message #83999 - This was a reply to message #83998

Listing 1 to 10 of 30 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]