Community Director/Women

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 27, 2017 1:00 PM
While looking for another rule I came across this one. Thought some of you might be interested.

Rule 14-3

Wearing Headphones or Earplugs During Stipulated Round

The use of headphones or earplugs to eliminate noise or other distractions is prohibited under Rule 14-3.

Decision 14-3/16 covers listening to music or some other broadcast during a round. Here is the text of that Decision:
Rule 14-3a states that a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that “might assist him making a stroke or in his play.” Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of another hole.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

Note: This FAQ has been updated to reflect the 2012 Rules of Golf.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #84432
evildrummerhb
RE: Music rules

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday June 27, 2017 11:29 PM
I read your thread title a bit differently, Chris...as in "music RULES!"...and my response is yes, yes it does! I think Steve would agree

It sounds like the ruling here leaves no room for intent; I play as a single often after work, and I've taken to listening to low volume music with a Bluetooth speaker during my rounds. It's usually low enough to where I can't hear it when I'm a few feet away from my push cart addressing my next shot. But if I do happen to hear it, I suppose that means I'm in breach of the ruling. Guess I'll hit pause from now on. Thanks for pointing this out!
 Message #84433 - This was a reply to message #84432
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Wednesday June 28, 2017 5:55 AM
QUOTED  I play as a single often after work

Then it really wouldn't matter as the SCGA says you cannot post any scores played as a single. So whether you listen or not, can't post it.
 Message #84435 - This was a reply to message #84433
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Wednesday June 28, 2017 8:08 AM
QUOTED  Then it really wouldn't matter as the SCGA says you cannot post any scores played as a single. So whether you listen or not, can't post it.

True, and I don't post solo rounds ever since the change was made, but that doesn't mean I'm lax on the rules as well. I don't agree with a lot of the Rules of Golf, but I abide. I'm glad Chris brought this up regardless.
 Message #84442 - This was a reply to message #84435
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday June 28, 2017 8:34 AM
I like to play music when I play. I have a little speaker that hangs on my push cart. If it offends others in my group I won't play it. Never play with headphones in as for me they get in the way when I swing. Don't have an official handicap since I don't play in tournaments, and don't need to pay them when I can track my scores here for free.

I also don't agree with some of their other rules, but will abide by them as well(except for this one).

Do I only get to post here when I play with another and don't have music or do the same rules not apply to the scoretracker on this great site.

Thanks again for all you do Johnny.
 Message #84444 - This was a reply to message #84442
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Wednesday June 28, 2017 12:41 PM
QUOTED  Do I only get to post here when I play with another and don't have music or do the same rules not apply to the scoretracker on this great site.

We all make the decisions that work best for us. :-) I just thought it was an interesting rule and one I've only rarely heard mentioned. I would hate for anyone to get dinged in a tourney for a rule as innocuous as this one!!

Evil- every time I look at this thread I also read it as Music RULES! And it does, absolutely! (at least in our house! LOL)
 Message #84455 - This was a reply to message #84444
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday June 29, 2017 8:01 AM
Yes....music rules!

Except for the latest effort by Linkin Park.
 Message #84479 - This was a reply to message #84432
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday June 29, 2017 8:25 AM
QUOTED  We all make the decisions that work best for us. :-) I just thought it was an interesting rule and one I've only rarely heard mentioned. I would hate for anyone to get dinged in a tourney for a rule as innocuous as this one!!

I hope that you didn't take my comment as rude or snarky, that wasn't my intent at all but after re reading it notice that is how it may have come off.

I also completely agree that I would hate to see someone get dinged in a tourney for something silly like listening to music. I find it interesting the different opinions on music on the course from those like me that enjoy it to those that don't and think it ruins time in nature, and I can certainly appreciate both opinions.
 Message #84481 - This was a reply to message #84479
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Friday June 30, 2017 8:34 AM
QUOTED  I hope that you didn't take my comment as rude or snarky, that wasn't my intent at all but after re reading it notice that is how it may have come off.

Nope, didn't take it that way at all! But with those of us who are casual golfers we do have to figure out what works for us. I play in a league on Wed and I do NOT take liberties with the rules at that time (because they WILL call me on them! LOL). The rest of the time? Enjoy!

Personally I don't usually care for music on the course. Why? Because the music someone else likes may or may not be the kind I like and I really do enjoy the quiet on the course. If we all hit the course with our speakers going you can imagine what kind of cacophony might arise. :-) People that listen through headphones I have no problem with- it's their choice as to how they enjoy their round.
 Message #84489 - This was a reply to message #84481
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday June 30, 2017 8:51 AM
I am a rebel and don't care what the USGA or SCGA say . . . I am though, old school, and thus don't want to hear anything out there but the wind through trees, birds singing, the sound of the club hitting the ball.

Makes me think of people on Jet Skis near where I am surfing, not something I want to hear or smell. If you can't surf go to the d%mn bay!
 Message #84490 - This was a reply to message #84489

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]