GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday July 11, 2017 2:03 PM
Interesting post about poorly repaired ball marks

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/golf-course-superintendent-shares-eye-o pening-pictures-to-make-an-important-point
 Message #84713
faxgolf89
RE: Ball Marks

Favorite Golfer:
    rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    still looking

Tuesday July 11, 2017 2:53 PM
Hitting a nice high shot on to a green, so that a ball mark results, is always a good thing. So is looking for and fixing that ball mark. This is one of the basic pleasures of the game (something a beginning golfer hardly gets to experience), and I never get tired of it.
 Message #84715 - This was a reply to message #84713
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday July 11, 2017 3:31 PM
"So is looking for and fixing that ball mark. This is one of the basic pleasures of the game (something a beginning golfer hardly gets to experience), and I never get tired of it."

Some people apparently do! (:-((

[[Edited by dconnally on Tuesday July 11, 2017 3:46 PM]]
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #84717 - This was a reply to message #84715
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Tuesday July 11, 2017 4:19 PM
On the topic of ball marks I find it interesting that I have only come across two course that work at getting the message across. David L. Baker in Fountain Valley has a flag under the flag on most greens reminding you to fix ball marks, and they sell a really nice ball mark repair tool in the pro shop which is always right there on the counter where you pay your fee, with their fox logo for only a buck.

I have actually had the marshall's at Casta del Sol comp me a beverage after watching me repair ball marks on the front 9. (Of course both course are spotty on making sure the divot mix bottles are full).
 Message #84721 - This was a reply to message #84717
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday July 11, 2017 5:32 PM
The first time I made a real ball mark I was so excited I took lots of pictures of it. Repairing ball marks to me is like making a good recovery shot..I enjoy doing it but I'd prefer not having to.
 Message #84722 - This was a reply to message #84721
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday July 11, 2017 6:19 PM
With regards to the ball mark issue, I'm intrigued by a certain segment of the golfing population and how much they may be contributing to the problem. Namely, I'm referring to those who hit approach shots that land on the green yet fail to remain on the putting surface. Whether the ball trickles off into the fringe, finds its' way into a bunker, or bounces ten yards over the green...I wonder just how many of those individuals have the awareness and determination to seek out their ball mark and properly fix it before resuming play.
 Message #84723 - This was a reply to message #84713
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Tuesday July 11, 2017 6:29 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By 1PLUS1 on 07.11.2017 6:19 PM]
With regards to the ball mark issue, I'm intrigued by a certain segment of the golfing population and how much they may be contributing to the problem. Namely, I'm referring to those who hit approach shots that land on the green yet fail to remain on the putting surface. Whether the ball trickles off into the fringe, finds its' way into a bunker, or bounces ten yards over the green...I wonder just how many of those individuals have the awareness and determination to seek out their ball mark and properly fix it before resuming play.

Not sure where you are coming from on here. If the ball rolls off the green they probably didn't MAKE a ball mark. :-) Might have nothing to do with the golfer and everything to do with the green. The local greens do NOT hold balls. I don't care if you hit the dang ball 100 ft in the air it's going to come down and roll off the green. Rare that it doesn't happen that way. Somehow trying to make a connection between what it appears you are trying to say- a poor golfer and one who leaves ball marks unrepaired, isn't working for me. In fact I'd bet that most ball marks are made by better golfers...so does that mean they don't know how to properly fix their marks, or they just don't care to?

Personally I don't think ball marks left unrepaired have anything to do with the caliber of golf somebody plays or whether they land and stick the green.

I don't mind repairing them- mine or others. Its my contribution to the maintenance of the course. Now how many of you know how to repair it correctly and have the correct tool to do so?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #84724 - This was a reply to message #84723
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Tuesday July 11, 2017 6:39 PM
http://http://www.usga.org/videos/2013/03/05/usga-course-care-video--how-to-repair-ball-marks-2204995528001.html
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #84725 - This was a reply to message #84724
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday July 11, 2017 7:51 PM
QUOTED  Not sure where you are coming from on here. If the ball rolls off the green they probably didn't MAKE a ball mark. :-) Might have nothing to do with the golfer and everything to do with the green. The local greens do NOT hold balls. I don't care if you hit the dang ball 100 ft in the air it's going to come down and roll off the green. Rare that it doesn't happen that way. Somehow trying to make a connection between what it appears you are trying to say- a poor golfer and one who leaves ball marks unrepaired, isn't working for me. In fact I'd bet that most ball marks are made by better golfers...so does that mean they don't know how to properly fix their marks, or they just don't care to?

Personally I don't think ball marks left unrepaired have anything to do with the caliber of golf somebody plays or whether they land and stick the green.

It's got nothing to do with the skill level of the golfer; whether it's a bladed wedge that gouges up the green and caroms off into the rough or a high-flying hybrid that lands six feet short of the back edge then trickles into the fringe...in both cases the green most likely sustained some degree of damage that warrants attention. I've witnessed it way too many times...again, regardless of the player's ability...where the person in question is so focused on playing their next shot from off the green that they completely ignore or forget to search for and/or repair their ball mark. THAT'S the segment I was pointing the finger at.

And the greens don't need to be super soft in order to sustain some degree of damage; any depression, regardless of depth, should be attended to. To assume there's no ball mark because the ball rolled off the green is foolish.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday July 11, 2017 7:59 PM]]
 Message #84727 - This was a reply to message #84724
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday July 11, 2017 8:01 PM
Probably my biggest peeve at any course. The fairways can be barren, tee boxes uneven, bunkers hard as concrete, if the greens suck, I'm not going to like the place, period.

I swear some cultures just don't fix them, doesn't matter what you say or do, they aren't going to fix a ball mark or rake a fricken bunker because it's beneath their "class" Last I checked we aren't in their native country. Make America great again, rake a fricken bunker! Maybe I should print shirts.

My favorite is the guy that complains about bad greens or a ball mark in his line, yet NEVER fixes one of his own. Dumbasses.

I've had shots leave long streaky ball marks on greens when landing on slopes away from me and roll off. Not necessarily great shots, just rub of the green or maybe "unlucky" LOL I always make an effort to fix my own and a bunch of others. Try to be a good steward of the game and maybe rub off on others. Guys that I play with now all fix multiple marks on greens. It also helps the greens heal much faster, days vs weeks, which benefits everyone, including the greenskeepers.
 Message #84728 - This was a reply to message #84725

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]