Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Laser Range Finder Effect - Psychological or Re...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Laser Range Finder Effect - Psychological or Real??????

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Rat-Patrol
RE: Laser Range Finder Effect - Psychological or Real??????
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 19, 2017 7:24 AM
I always remember a quote from Mick Jagger back in the day, "When I feel down or a bit out of sorts, I always go buy a new pair of sneakers, that always cheers me up."
 Message #84917 - This was a reply to message #84913
grantar2
Laser Range Finder Effect - Psychological or Real??????

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday July 19, 2017 8:25 AM
When I purchased a simple golf GPS (IZZO Swami) I found my game almost immediately improved. Knowing the distance from where I was to the front, middle, back of the greens meant I could more effectively select my club as well as based on hazard risk choose to play to the front yardage or middle yardage. Well the GPS didn’t prevent me from hitting it fat or thin, in general I was being more selective, and my club selection changed, as did my tactics.

I purchased a Leupold GX-2 laser range finder, and I have found the effect to be similar, but with a greater impact. I still wear my GPS and use it, however with my range finder I have found on courses I play regularly that my club selection has changed once again. Part of that is having a new set of clubs, combined with a swing change that has me hitting further.

On a number of Par three’s, as well as approach shots, I have found I can get much closer to the pin. Rather that settling for a GPS number, selecting a club and hitting to the middle of the green, I find since I know the distance to the flag I can select a club for that (unless I am in the rough) and have had much greater success being inside 10 feet. In fact in my last two rounds I have hit the flag stick or been within 4 feet on half a dozen occasions. On shots I have missed left or right I have more often been at the correct distance, wrong line.

I am one of those people who generally do not look at the hole when putting. I look at the hole for distance, look at my target which may be something else and then just look at the ball. I find looking at the hole causes me to forgo the target, and if I do this all quickly enough my mind knows the distance.

It seems knowing with confidence the distance to the pin leads to a better result. So far this has just been in practice rounds where I am not concerned with the score, or what my playing partner thinks, I will be testing the effect this Thursday playing a course I have only been on once some time ago with my best friend who is always in competition mode. I think the mind settles with the knowledge of distance to hazards and the target in ways that it can’t with my GPS.

My assertion is the GPS was a real and psychological advantage over the eye, and the rangefinder is a further extension of that advantage by adding precision.
On a further note it is amazing how many feel players by the second or third hole are casually asking what the distance to the flag is.
 Message #84911
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday July 19, 2017 10:00 AM
GPS, rangefinder, new clubs, and swing change. A lot going on in a short time!

Good luck to you going forward as you take your game to the next level.

Hope to play with you again soon.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #84912 - This was a reply to message #84911
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    classic club

Wednesday July 19, 2017 10:57 AM
I have the Bushnell neo and my buddy bought me the bushnell laser finder with the slope reading.I find myself liking the GPS more for the general front , middle and back numbers and only using the laser finder for elevation reads.
 Message #84913 - This was a reply to message #84911
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday July 19, 2017 11:05 AM
Are you playing Riverwalk next week?

Lot going on, but it's been planned. I needed some help getting the ball airborne, and the combination of new tech clubs, sale price and expendable income merged. The clubs led to the tweak of the swing, which was surprising, but the club face and shaft kick point respond best to certain address and shaft plane. Under pressure, really wanting to make a shot, I still find I go back to what I have been doing for years. The difference isn't great, it has to do with where the elbow of the left arm is, and wrist hinge, but it's new and will take work. The results have been worth it.

I am enjoying the process. I want to get to that place where I can play a hole at par more often than not. I am getting birdies now, which I wasn't very often a year ago. I still have two or three blow up holes per round, need to eliminate those. But if I have gotten a par 2 out of 10 rounds, or better, I see no reason I can't do it more often. Mostly I have to keep a nice relaxed tempo, and keep my back, and right hip from cramping up.

Going to put it all under pressure tomorrow. Playing with my best friend who is a league player, and around a 10 handicap at his local muni's. Were playing Big Rec 18 in Long Beach.
 Message #84920 - This was a reply to message #84912
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday July 19, 2017 11:29 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By Rat-Patrol on 07.19.2017 7:24 AM]

I always remember a quote from Mick Jagger back in the day, "When I feel down or a bit out of sorts, I always go buy a new pair of sneakers, that always cheers me up."

Mick also said the following...

"You wake up in the morning and look at your old spoon, and you say to yourself, 'Mick, it's time to get a new spoon.' And you do."

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Wednesday July 19, 2017 11:34 AM]]
 Message #84921 - This was a reply to message #84911
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday July 19, 2017 12:23 PM
I'm just wondering how my post went to the top? . . . and, I like sneakers, just saying.
 Message #84922 - This was a reply to message #84921
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday July 19, 2017 1:03 PM
QUOTED  My assertion is the GPS was a real and psychological advantage over the eye, and the rangefinder is a further extension of that advantage by adding precision.

A definite advantage...and a far cry from what it was like when I first picked up the game. Back then, playing on a course that had 150-yard stakes embedded on the outer boundaries of the fairway was considered a luxury. Every shot was gauged on perception and feel...or using a reference point or monument that dictated what club to hit based upon previous experience. It was an inexact science until courses began installing Kirby Discs and/or marking sprinkler heads, which was much more precise if they included "front-center-back of the green" distances. And as time wore on, this was further enhanced by the availability of yardage books...which is my preferred method...and I have an overflowing shoe box to prove it.

At this stage of the game, I'm neither willing to shell out the money for a rangefinder nor subscribe to the belief that using one will make a notable...and worthwhile...improvement in my game. However, I can see where this new technology does have its' merits and benefits; if nothing else, it would appear to save time vs. searching for a marked sprinkler head.
 Message #84924 - This was a reply to message #84911
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday July 19, 2017 1:09 PM
QUOTED  I'm just wondering how my post went to the top?

Come on Rat...you should know by now that you always get top-billing.

Actually, the website appears to be on the fritz; some earlier posts don't appear when trying to reply and/or highlight a quote and the time stamp is eight hours behind what it should be. Not the first time this has happened and I brought it to Johnny's attention via e-mail. Blame it on Putin!
 Message #84925 - This was a reply to message #84922
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday July 19, 2017 1:21 PM
See what happens? When will the hacking stop? It's opposite day, Groundhog Day style . . . forever . . . forever . . .
 Message #84926 - This was a reply to message #84925

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]