SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 31, 2017 7:55 AM
I will say this before I get my rant started: For the most part, I am not bothered by low voices talking as I am hitting the ball.

It is common courtesy to remain quiet while a fellow player is hitting. We all know this.

On the tee, you are in fairly close proximity to one another. Talking, even low whispering, can be a distraction.

How about 100 yards away, on the other side of the fairway? Is it okay to talk softly with your cart partner? Apparently, not with some guys.

I recently golfed with a guy who let every small sound bother him; or at least he used that as a reason his shot did not come off as expected. It didn't have to be talking. A distant car, a mower, birds chirping, you name it.

When we were riding together, he tried to make the other two be quiet. Their response was, "You're not getting paid." I think their response was of two older guys who are there to have fun and connect as friends.

They weren't loud and it didn't bother me. I told my buddy to try to block it out because you cannot control others like that.

His response to me was to relate an incident when he was a kid at his dad's country club. A playing partner would announce, "I'm coming out!" He asked what that meant, and was told it means, "STFU!"

That's some serious stuff, but why carry that with you all these years and become THAT guy on the course.

Okay, rant over.

Kevin
 Message #85110
noeldaof
RE: Keeping Quiet While Hitting

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Monday July 31, 2017 9:55 AM
QUOTED  It is common courtesy to remain quiet while a fellow player is hitting. We all know this.

Correct. Golf is a sport where we are not active when an opponent or competitor plays his/her shot.

QUOTED  A playing partner would announce, "I'm coming out!" He asked what that meant, and was told it means, "STFU!"

Harshly said, but yes, it's just a notification in which I would gladly hear from anyone of my playing partners as the fun takes a pause for that period while a shot is being played. But the fun doesn't stop there, it continues on after the shot and pauses again while someone plays a shot. That's golf.
...I think he just misunderstood or it wasn't explained to him that it isn't the end of fun.. nor is it personal. But, had he been the one talking while someone gave notice to play or while someone was playing a shot and got yelled at, I could see how traumatic this would have been for him as a child who thought he was at a park in a picnic.

QUOTED  I recently golfed with a guy who let every small sound bother him; or at least he used that as a reason his shot did not come off as expected. It didn't have to be talking. A distant car, a mower, birds chirping, you name it.

Sounds like he's got the problem on his own. ...I mean if he makes it seems the world is wrong while he plays.
Play from a position!
 Message #85112 - This was a reply to message #85110
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Monday July 31, 2017 9:57 AM
QUOTED  "I'm coming out!" He asked what that meant, and was told it means, "STFU!"

Golf equivalent of don't ask don't tell?

In HS and JC we would try to distract each other during practices to help strengthen our focus.
 Message #85113 - This was a reply to message #85110
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Monday July 31, 2017 10:18 AM
QUOTED  I recently golfed with a guy who let every small sound bother him; or at least he used that as a reason his shot did not come off as expected. It didn't have to be talking. A distant car, a mower, birds chirping, you name it.

Yeah, agree with Noel on this one. He's got an issue if every little sound bothers him.

Personal anecdote time. I was playing in a tournament at Rec Park and the 5th hole tee box borders Anaheim St. After I hit my tee shot my entire group looked at me and wondered how I struck it so well. Apparently someone honked in the middle of my backswing and I hadn't even heard it. If you are completely focused on your shot, everything else goes to the background.
 Message #85115 - This was a reply to message #85110
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday July 31, 2017 2:00 PM
I started playing golf with my dad and uncles and most of them couldn't shut up if their life depended on it. Now, people talking does not bother me, only if they talk directly to me. I think I could be a little more courteous on the course and shut up more often., but so far nobody has wrapped a club around my head....so i have that going for me.
 Message #85122 - This was a reply to message #85115
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Monday July 31, 2017 3:06 PM
Well I bowled for 35 years at a very high mark so I am very accustom to noise. In fact it was quite the opposite in bowling when you have the first 9 strikes and the bowling alley gets real quite to see if you shoot 300. LOL So in golf I can pretty much block out noise and conversation because of the bowling. The only thing that effects me is if it is a very loud sudden bang (or a train whistle at Green River LOL)
The funny part is I am very very hard of hearing and was fitted with hearing aids in both ears last year. I started to wear them on the course when golfing and I could not believe how noisy it was on the course. I was on 1 tee and I looked at my playing partners and said " man that bird is loud" and they laughed at me. I never heard the birds before. LOL I do not wear he hearing aids on the course any more LOL
Personally IMHO it takes just as much concentration to throw strike after strike in bowling at it does to putt a golf ball so I have no issue with noise. Now music YES, only because I probably hate your music. LOL
 Message #85125 - This was a reply to message #85122
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Monday July 31, 2017 3:31 PM
QUOTED  If you are completely focused on your shot, everything else goes to the background.

Agree!

I suggested we "re-train" him with some New Year's Eve noise makers. He declined. LOL
 Message #85128 - This was a reply to message #85115
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday July 31, 2017 6:29 PM
Is it ok for me to talk or make noise while I'm hitting?
 Message #85132 - This was a reply to message #85128
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday August 1, 2017 6:43 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By Rat-Patrol on 07.31.2017 6:29 PM]

Is it ok for me to talk or make noise while I'm hitting?

Only if you're using The Hammer and you yell "POOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!" at the top of your lungs.
 Message #85135 - This was a reply to message #85132
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Tuesday August 1, 2017 8:18 AM
QUOTED  Is it ok for me to talk or make noise while I'm hitting?

Yes. I once tried to tell a joke while tapping in a 3-footer. I missed the putt and the joke did not come off well either.
QUOTED  Only if you're using The Hammer and you yell "POOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!" at the top of your lungs.

Message #85136 - This was a reply to message #85132

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]