lamitchw
Executive Courses

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pacific Dunes

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 17, 2017 11:27 AM
Howdy gang! Hope you're all hitting 'em well! I am trying to compile a list of executive courses in LA, Riverside, and Ventura counties. My wife's women's group (EWGA) is looking for some alternatives to full sized courses to switch things up a bit.

The ones I know are: El Cariso, Vista Valencia, Westlake, Scholl Canyon and Van Nuys. Am I missing any? If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

Mitch
 Message #86248
Nickesquire
RE: Executive Courses
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

Friday November 17, 2017 12:01 PM
Here are a few that come to mind...

Lake Lindero is 9 holes with alternate tees if you want to play 18. Par 58 for 18.

Lakes @ El Segundo. Par 58.

Pico Rivera. Par 58.

Westchester. Par 64.

Penmar. Par 66.

Roosevelt. Par 66.

Cimmaron Pebble. Par 55. 17 par 3's and a short par 4. This is the only one of the bunch I would recommend.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #86249 - This was a reply to message #86248
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday November 17, 2017 12:06 PM
It's a Par 3 course and likely one of the Best in the US

Shadow Hills North in Indio, CA

Mix of holes from 100 to 220 depending on tees. Nice challenge and the greens are usually very good.
 Message #86250 - This was a reply to message #86248
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday November 17, 2017 1:39 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By Nickesquire on 11.17.2017 12:01 PM]
Here are a few that come to mind...

Lake Lindero is 9 holes with alternate tees if you want to play 18. Par 58 for 18.

Lakes @ El Segundo. Par 58.

Pico Rivera. Par 58.

Westchester. Par 64.

Penmar. Par 66.

Roosevelt. Par 66.

Cimmaron Pebble. Par 55. 17 par 3's and a short par 4. This is the only one of the bunch I would recommend.

Are all Par 3 courses just half executive courses you play twice? I've never heard of Lakes at El Segundo, Penmar or Roosevelt being anything else but par 3 courses - enlighten me Nick!
 Message #86251 - This was a reply to message #86249
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Friday November 17, 2017 2:49 PM
QUOTED  Are all Par 3 courses just half executive courses you play twice? I've never heard of Lakes at El Segundo, Penmar or Roosevelt being anything else but par 3 courses - enlighten me Nick!

Not Nick, but Lakes at El Segundo has two par four holes. Both are reachable but last time I played years ago, the second one, number 9, players were restricted to irons (the clubhouse is on the left). They are both well under 300 yards I believe. The course is on Sepulveda between El Segundo Blvd. and Rosecrans. At one time in the '90s, its driving range was listed in Penthouse as one of the top "pick up" ranges in America. The community recently defeated a move to turn it into a Top Golf facility.
 Message #86252 - This was a reply to message #86251
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday November 17, 2017 2:59 PM
QUOTED  Not Nick, but Lakes at El Segundo has two par four holes. Both are reachable but last time I played years ago, the second one, number 9, players were restricted to irons (the clubhouse is on the left). They are both well under 300 yards I believe. The course is on Sepulveda between El Segundo Blvd. and Rosecrans. At one time in the '90s, its driving range was listed in Penthouse as one of the top "pick up" ranges in America. The community recently defeated a move to turn it into a Top Golf facility.

Yep, played there many times - in fact my first-ever rounds when I started at the end of 2012 were played there! I thought the Top Golf deal was actually going through though this time? Anyway, I was just wondering if par 3 courses are technically considered executive courses if you play them twice. I always just thought playing twice was simply playing two separate nines.
 Message #86253 - This was a reply to message #86252
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

Friday November 17, 2017 3:23 PM
QUOTED  Are all Par 3 courses just half executive courses you play twice? I've never heard of Lakes at El Segundo, Penmar or Roosevelt being anything else but par 3 courses - enlighten me Nick!

I have not been there in decades, but is Penmar not a combination of par 3 and short par 4 holes?

There may be an official cutoff between the three type courses, regulation, executive and par 3. If you play a nine hole par 3 twice, it is merely a par 54 par 3 course. In my mind, a par 3 course is all par 3's. You start adding in par 4's and the course is no longer a par 3 course in my mind.

A regulation course is par 70 or higher, regardless of the length. An executive course is everything in between. Par 55 or more all the way to par 69 or less I would categorize as executive.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #86255 - This was a reply to message #86251
stickboy

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday November 17, 2017 3:45 PM
I think these three qualify in L.A. County;

Recreation Park (9 hole)

Bixby Village (by LB State)

Iron-Wood 9 (bring a clothespin)

[[Edited by stickboy on Friday November 17, 2017 3:49 PM]]
 Message #86256 - This was a reply to message #86255
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Friday November 17, 2017 3:59 PM
http://bogeysacrossamerica.com/rankings

Mitch, in my quest to play every public course in SoCal, I hit every short course around. I have all courses ranked by county and region. If you click on any of the regional ranking links, you can scroll down and see all the short courses in my order of preference. Most will have links to reviews and pictures that may help you decide what looks most appealing, though a lot of the links are screwy on my site lately and there's no way to fix them until I build a whole new site someday. Word to the wise, never build this massive a site on Tumblr, people! Their platform sucks.

For the record, I qualify "short courses" as any course that's only 9-holes (regulation, par-3 or executive length) and 18-hole courses that play to less than a total par of 70 (par-3s and executives).
 Message #86258 - This was a reply to message #86256
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday November 17, 2017 5:27 PM
QUOTED  There may be an official cutoff between the three type courses, regulation, executive and par 3. If you play a nine hole par 3 twice, it is merely a par 54 par 3 course. In my mind, a par 3 course is all par 3's. You start adding in par 4's and the course is no longer a par 3 course in my mind.

See, that makes perfect sense to me now - thanks, Nick. Think you're absolutely right.
 Message #86259 - This was a reply to message #86255

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]