The new 2018 'Lexi Replay Rule'
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 12, 2017 1:01 AM
I happened to be at the ANA Inspiration tournament last year on Sunday's final round and near Lexi Thompson's group when she got word of the ruling on her 'mismark' of the previous day. As I saw her play the last 5 holes and into the playoff, it was certainly devastating for her. But, she handled it with class and nearly won, even with the 4-stroke penalty. Couldn't imagine having her composure and class in that moment/time, and the ability to still play so well.

Looks like the professional tours have decided to no longer accept call-ins from the 'global peanut gallery' that have to this point, allowed for the inconsistent application, and strict rules interpretation to those pros who are actually televised, etc. and a change of the final outcomes of a tournament.

Seems like a return to a common-sense and sane approach, and spirit of sportsmanship, on-course policing/self-reporting of tour participants and determination by local tournament officials on each hole to ensure fair play.

Also, no more 2-stroke penalties for signing an incorrect score card:

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/usga-ra-adopt-new-local-rules-regardi ng-video-review

Seems like this is a great step forward regarding all the call-ins. Still feel bad for Lexi. For the PGA/LPGA, USGA, etc., letting go of the desire to 'be absolutely perfect' and rather, uphold the spirit of sportsmanship and honesty of the players and their playing partners is a step to 'making golf great again.'

Any other thoughts?
 Message #86467
CPennbo
RE: The new 2018 'Lexi Replay Rule'

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Tuesday December 12, 2017 9:55 AM
Great move! What a relief. I was envisioning a future of televised golf where the scores couldn't be released and the winner determined until the next day after all the call in's had been reviewed!!

I also feel badly for Lexi but I hope she has a measure of satisfaction knowing her circumstances helped draft this change.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #86468 - This was a reply to message #86467
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday December 12, 2017 11:04 AM
I have an issue with the tv coverage and enforcement. The leaders/popular are the only player under real scrutiny so the protecting the field mantra is not really true. All players should have the same scrutiny if this is to be fair and effective. A rules official(s) should be with ALL groups
and most importantly... PAY ATTENTION to what is going on. The sense I get from seeing any of them is they are there and just going through the motions justifying existence. Had an official either been with Lexi or at least paying attention to play, none of this would have occurred.

Lexi messed up with her mark, no doubt. Should have been 2 strokes and move on.

[[Edited by robule on Tuesday December 12, 2017 11:05 AM]]
 Message #86469 - This was a reply to message #86468
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Tuesday December 12, 2017 4:32 PM
QUOTED  A rules official(s) should be with ALL groups
and most importantly... PAY ATTENTION to what is going on. The sense I get from seeing any of them is they are there and just going through the motions justifying existence. Had an official either been with Lexi or at least paying attention to play, none of this would have occurred.

If I'm not mistaken, even if a rules official is there he cannot tell a player what the rule is unless the player or caddie asks him. This happened to DJ during the Open. The official knew he was in a bunker but could not relay that information to him but if DJ would have asked, the rules official could then have told him.
 Message #86472 - This was a reply to message #86469
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday December 12, 2017 6:29 PM
QUOTED  If I'm not mistaken, even if a rules official is there he cannot tell a player what the rule is unless the player or caddie asks him. This happened to DJ during the Open. The official knew he was in a bunker but could not relay that information to him but if DJ would have asked, the rules official could then have told him.

That's not what I'm suggesting at all. Let them play. If they make a mistake/violation, an official is there to call them on it right then and there. Video could be used to support the position.

Lexi gets her two shot penalty on the spot, move on.
 Message #86473 - This was a reply to message #86472
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Tuesday December 12, 2017 6:33 PM
QUOTED  If they make a mistake/violation, an official is there to call them on it right then and there. Video could be used to support the position.

But the official will only penalize them if they or their opponent calls it. I believe he can't even say they did something wrong after the fact unless he is asked about it.
 Message #86474 - This was a reply to message #86473
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Wednesday December 13, 2017 10:33 AM
Another thought: Golf is supposed to be a game/sport of integrity which is why players call penalties on themselves rather than having referees and umpires. A Rules Official is only there to answer questions regarding the Rules (and make committee decisions ie. designating GUR or stopping play due to weather) not to call penalties on players .

I cringe every time I see an official showing a player where his/her ball landed after the second drop or telling a player what options are available. To me, an on-course Rule decision is the sole responsibility of the player(s). Now if they ask, that's a different situation.

At the Pro level, yes, they're playing for big bucks and some players are under more scrutiny with video watching their every move. Maybe the upcoming Rule changes can eliminate some of these over-the-top-observations and bring the game back to one based on trust and honesty.
 Message #86476 - This was a reply to message #86474
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday December 27, 2017 9:35 AM
http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/12/26/scottish-government-strips-trump-turnberry-generous-tax-break
 Message #86576 - This was a reply to message #86467
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday December 28, 2017 7:41 AM
sammy, sammy, sammy, MTGA! We were speaking of trust worthy and honest, just giving another example of one who is not.
 Message #86578 - This was a reply to message #86577
mdames

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday December 28, 2017 12:31 PM
OK. Now that we've gotten that out of our systems, let's get back to golf. :-)
 Message #86581 - This was a reply to message #86580

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]