Arccos Golf
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday March 1, 2018 8:44 AM
I got an Arccos Golf system for Christmas and have now utilized it for a dozen rounds and thought I would give some feedback. Also to request feedback from others who may have used this product.

For those of you unfamiliar, Arccos Golf is a shot tracking program. Through 14 lightweight sensors installed on the end of you club in conjunction with software installed on your phone, it is designed to track all your shots through GPS along with your phones Camera or Bluetooth technology. You start the software for the round on the 1st tee so you do not record practice shots before the round. Arccos also tracks pace of play and provides wind and elevation feedback on every shot if you choose to use those features.

Here are my thoughts so far...

Positive: It is an awesome system when it tracks properly on shot after shot. The sensors are designed to pick up a shot when it is hit. You carry your phone in your front left pocket with the course installed and round started (all software is free). If I tee off with a Driver after I hit I should see "1 shot recorded, Driver detected" if I check that hole my phone. Then when I hit the next shot, say a 8 iron and the 8 iron sensor picks up that shot, it records the distance between where the first shot originated and the 2nd shot originated. Instant feedback that it was "X" yardage to "Y" spot on the golf course. This is then tracked shot after shot until you hole out, then it restarts on the next tee. The system seems to presume you holed out the last putt once you move to the next tee box and it detects another club.

Negative: You have to go in and manually add shots if the system missed one. You have to go in and manually delete shots if a "phantom" shot is recorded, which can easily happen if you carry multiple clubs upright at the same time. Especially true with the putter. You have to adjust the pin location on every hole, which is not difficult but it is time consuming to move the pin cursor to back left or front right to make the yardages and feedback accurate/meaningful. You can also adjust exactly how far each putt is recorded from. If I pace off 20', I can quickly move the putter cursor to reflect a 20' putt from the direction on the green it came from.

Positive: After each hole, and especially after each round, it provides a "stat sheet" on all your clubs. Longest shots per club, average hit distance per club etc. They provide stats on how many times you miss the fairway left/right off the tee. They also provide stats with how many times you miss left, long, right and short with your approach shots. This "stat sheet" is also cumulative. I now have well over a hundred drives recorded after a dozen rounds.

Negative: This becomes problematic if the system fails to record a shot and you have to manually override. I am now keeping notes on my scorecard on how many yards or feet I had to the pin on all shots in case I have to adjust anything after I get home because it did not record properly during the round. I don't have time to check my phone after every shot to make sure it was properly recorded while playing.

Positive: The end result is great. They also have an artificial intelligence "caddy" that will provide you with pre shot feedback if you desire, based on your "smart distance" per club, which is based on your averages with each club since you started using their system. I have never used this feature because it takes up even more of the phone's battery and it is difficult for me to quickly toggle back & forth between screens in the glare of the sun.

Negative: I have to be 100% charged on the first tee to make it through a 4+ hour round because the phone is constantly connecting to the internet.

Positive: I have had a few rounds where nearly every shot tracked without me having to do anything. This seems to vary depending on how good the internet connection is at any particular course.

Negative: On the rounds where the system has not picked up many shots, it is nearly impossible for me to quickly make changes on the spot. I have to rely on my notes and make changes after the round. Good thing I remember all my shots from already being in the practice of tracking things on my scorecard like fairways, GIR, sand saves, putts etc. for decades on every round I play.

Positive: They have a toll free customer service number that is open every day. They have been very good on assisting with any issues I have had so far. The sensors are warrantied for 1 year and the batteries are supposed to last for 2 years.

Negative: I have had 2 sensors malfunction so far. They quickly sent me replacements. However, any round you play with a non functioning sensor, you will have to manually override any shots made with that club.

Positive: Their software is easy to use. If any particular clubs sensor becomes non functional, it is usually easy to "repair" it by using their software. That is especially true if I can make changes in my home under good light, with a good internet connection and have plenty of time.

Negative: On the course in the sun with a limited time between shots, it is difficult to "repair" a lost connection. You also have to be careful not to needlessly jar the clubs.

Positive: There is a really nice overview of the hole on your phone. This has already come in handy when I played a new course I had never seen with blind shots over hills. The overview comes complete with the touch screen ability to measure distances to hazards and other landmarks like you may find on advanced GPS on some courses carts.

Negative: Difficult for me to quickly utilize in the glare of the sun on my I Phone.

Positive: It tracks all shots, even penalties.

Negative: You have to go in and manually add penalty strokes. If you hit the same club twice from the same spot, it only records once. So if you hit a ball out of bounds and then rehit from the original spot, you do not get any feedback from the ball in the out of bounds location. (unless you go play it from OB?) Also, it limits you to a maximum of 2 penalty shots per hole. I have news for them... there are times when a max of 2 is not going to be accurate!

Positive: It tracks GIR's, fairways, sand saves, putting stats etc.

Negative: It does not differentiate a putt from on the green and a putt from off the green. It recognizes the putter, so it will record a "putt" if you use the putter from anywhere on the course. Since it is GPS, it is merely "in the ballpark" on recording the location of shots close to the fairway/rough divide and on the green/off the green divide. If you are within 5' of one of those borders, it may or may not be accurate.

Anyone else have any feedback on this or other comparable systems?

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday March 1, 2018 9:00 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #87295
sngernz
RE: Arccos Golf

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Thursday March 1, 2018 9:17 AM
Sounds you have some time on your hands, Nick.

My question would be: what do you do with all that data?
 Message #87296 - This was a reply to message #87295
Long4par

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday March 1, 2018 11:01 AM
I have the system for a few years and love it. While I agree with a lot of what you say I think the benefits outway any drawbacks. The amount of data you get is great. It gives you a great idea of the things you need to work on in your game.

The customer service has always been great. I have lost sensors, sensors break or not work and they always replace without question.

I am not to happy with the price for the caddy system they have. It is a great idea, gives you a suggestion on how to play a hole and what club to use, but I think the fee is to high.

QUOTED  b]Negative: I have to be 100% charged on the first tee to make it through a 4+ hour round because the phone is constantly connecting to the internet.

Might be a phone issue. I have iPhone 8 and it rarely goes beyond 50% drain after a four hour round. This is even after making adjustments after every hole.

QUOTED  Negative: It does not differentiate a putt from on the green and a putt from off the green. It recognizes the putter, so it will record a "putt" if you use the putter from anywhere on the course. Since it is GPS, it is merely "in the ballpark" on recording the location of shots close to the fairway/rough divide and on the green/off the green divide. If you are within 5' of one of those borders, it may or may not be accurate.

When you want to make a putt a "chip" just pull up the shots from that hole and touch the appropriate putt and it will give the option to make it a chip. Thus not counting towards total putts. This also works with other shots. For instance if you hit the fairway but the app says you were left or right you can touch the shot and select hit fairway.

I love the system and feel it has really helped my game. I have a great idea of what each club in my bag does and the distances to use each club.

[[Edited by Long4par on Thursday March 1, 2018 11:03 AM]]
 Message #87299 - This was a reply to message #87295
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Thursday March 1, 2018 11:38 AM
QUOTED  Sounds you have some time on your hands, Nick.

My question would be: what do you do with all that data?

I am still basically the same crappy golfer Stew. I am just a little more enlightened statistically on all the flaws in my game. Gut feelings backed up with cold, hard facts.

But seriously, I have seen benefits in analyzing the data. I have started adjusting my aim points or club selection on certain shots. It is hard to argue when you see that 80% of the time you are missing a certain shot/club left, short, right or long in round after round after round.

The data has encouraged me to now almost always take 1 more club if in doubt. Because like most golfers, more of my misses are short rather than long. It is easy to forget what you did last week, much less last month with every particular shot. The more shots you have accurate data on, the more sound conclusions you can make about any corrections/adjustments moving forward.

QUOTED  When you want to make a putt a "chip" just pull up the shots from that hole and touch the appropriate putt and it will give the option to make it a chip. Thus not counting towards total putts. This also works with other shots. For instance if you hit the fairway but the app says you were left or right you can touch the shot and select hit fairway.

Excellent to know, thanks Jim. I am learning more with each round on all the things you can do within their software. I used the "chip" feature on putts on my latest round. Changed a 32 putt round to a 28 putt round because I four times used the putter from just off the green.

QUOTED  I love the system and feel it has really helped my game. I have a great idea of what each club in my bag does and the distances to use each club.

I felt like I had a good feel on how far I hit each club on an average shot but had never used any electronic system to verify that. I have either paced off or relied on GPS to gauge the distance on most shots during thousands of rounds played dating back to the 1970's. Based on Arccos feedback, I have been pleasantly surprised how accurate the distance I thought I hit each club actually turned out to be. Not kills, not duffs, "regular" shots is what I am talking.

I have adjusted my tee shots according to where the tee markers were placed compared to the stones (-7, +5 etc.) rather than just accepting a default distance. After a dozen rounds, I am within 3-5 yards on almost every club of what I thought my "smart distances" were.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Friday March 2, 2018 10:48 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #87301 - This was a reply to message #87299
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Wednesday March 7, 2018 9:32 AM
I have been using GameGolf for awhile and the system is similar. The tagging necessary becomes second nature and I find myself tagging even during rounds when I am not using the device.

There are very similar pros and cons as what you have mentioned.

Best pros for me -
stats to let me know my weaknesses (stupid two way miss)

accurate club average distances allow for better club selection

Worst cons -
hole location accuracy leads to very limited putting stats

the need to edit fairways and greens due to the inaccuracy of using satellite imagery (some guy draws lines based on the pic he looks at while actual frw or green may have diff boundaries)

I have the oldest system so no phone connectivity. My friend has the unit connected to the phone but still has to tag and it is not too bad on his battery. They are coming out with a tagless unit soon.
 Message #87406 - This was a reply to message #87295
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Thursday March 8, 2018 3:33 PM
I ditched mine after a few rounds mainly because of issues with the putter sensor. I liked all the shot tracking with the clubs but found for scoring it was more hassle than I was willing to deal with. Don't get me wrong it's a nice system. But at my neophyte level it was more than I needed. I figured I needed to concentrate more on proper swing technique which would eliminate a lot more strokes than the ugly data provided by the arccos.

I now use an a manual app on my phone which gives me all of the same data as the arccos except putting distance. I have to manually enter the start and stop locations on the shots (if I want to bothered with it) and then enter my score at the end of each hole. I've found that the "manual" entry is about the same on both systems.

Mentally it's less frustrating for me not having to override or correct the system.
 Message #87415 - This was a reply to message #87406
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday April 30, 2018 10:38 AM
Stew recently asked a pertinent question about what do you do with any feedback you may receive about how far your shots actually travel and/or where they end up?

I now have 40+ rounds recorded on Arccos with GPS charting all my shots.

Here is what it told me about all my GIR approach shots.

9.9% of the time I am long of the green.
10.2% of the time I am right of the green.
18.0% of the time I am left of the green.
29.5% of the time I am short of the green.
32.4% of the time I am on the green.

What would you conclude with that data?

My conclusion was that if in ANY doubt, I needed to hit another club and that I needed to adjust my aim point slightly more to the right.

I am trying to be as precise as possible in recording both my chipping and putting distances and moving up/back the cursor on drives depending on where the markers are actually located when I play.

Average approaches ON the green = 26.2' from pin. This figure accounts for roughly 30% of all my approach shots.
Average approaches NOT on the green = 72.2' from the pin. This figure accounts for roughly 70% of all my approach shots.

Same exact info available for my drives.

My "smart range" for 368 Drivers utilized is from 253 to 277 yards. They calculate your smart range based on "X" % of your total shots, and those numbers constantly fluctuate like your handicap trend after each round posts. Smart distance = 262, longest drive 307.

Have hit 41.2% of fairways during this period with my Driver. More importantly, have missed 32.2% of the time left and 26.6% of the time right. Those L/R numbers have been getting closer together since I started aiming a few yards more right on most drives unless there is a hazard right and not left.

The chart showing where every drive or approach you hit went in relation to the fairway or green makes for an interesting look. For some people, this may be WAY too much info already. And I didn't even get into some of the putting and chipping feedback that is available. However, being an analytical kind of guy, I like the feedback and it HAS assisted at least some.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Monday April 30, 2018 9:33 PM]]
 Message #88034 - This was a reply to message #87415

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]