Painted Fairways
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 10, 2018 8:22 PM
I have played on painted greens, haven't played on painted fairways, but this is really interesting.
http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2018/01/going-green --golf-courses-benefit-by-painting-fairways-instead-o.html
 Message #87448
Krystal
RE: Painted Fairways

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

Sunday March 11, 2018 12:38 AM
I think you'd be surprised how many golf course superintendent Southern California apply colorant to their fairways. As a baseline comparative, my current view from above at the Rose Bowl on Google Maps shows someone spraying colorant on the field. Next door, at Brookside GC, you'll notice how green the practice putting green is along with all areas around the starter's house. Moving away from the driving range, it becomes more 'natural.'

There are a few telltale signs colorant has been applied. Overspray, if you notice a slight greenish tinge on the edge of the cart path, it's from a colorant. You might notice, only the top of a leaf blade is green/blue - green colorant is a combination of blue & yellow pigments. Yellow's life is shorter than the blues. A spray cart's boom can't get into heavy tree lined off-fairway spots. Unless they're hand sprayed, it'll remain natural. Between adjoining fairways are typically left natural. If it's breezy on an application day, property edge will be left natural (so that whatever overspray wouldn't be left on walls).

Again, using Google Maps, compare a course to a neighbor's recreation center ball field. Or another golf course. i.e. Brookside v Annandale v Brookside Park. A keen eye will distinguish the differences. Another comparative is Rancho Park GC v Hillcrest CC v Cheviot Hills Rec

How does colorant effect your game? Generally, your tee shot will be longer. Versus an overseed, there's less resistance. Fairways require less water and can remain closely mown. Rye has a higher mow height. Colorant darkens turf and we all know dark colors attract more heat. The turf should come out of its dormant stage sooner. And, the summer grass won't spend the spring competing with the rye for water & nutrients. A good start to a longer season.

Krys
 Message #87449 - This was a reply to message #87448
SBogey
RE: Painted Fairways

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Sunday March 11, 2018 8:08 AM
I watched from the first tee at Temecula Creek as they colored the 1st fairway. When I hit my second the ball was wet and blue. By the time we finished the first I dd not see the tractor again and the fairways were dry. Did make t look nicer but still played like dormant grass.
 Message #87450 - This was a reply to message #87449

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]