golferic420
Taylormade Twist Face

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday March 16, 2018 9:45 PM
Ok, straight up - is this Twist Face stuff just more marketing mumbo jumbo, or really built for the mid-handicapper in mind?
What’s your take? I have a Taylormade M1 Driver, and got some gift cards for Roger Dunn. I don’t really need anything for my bag. Do I get some shorts, shirts, balls, whatever else, etc... or get fitted for an M3/M4?

Thought your humble opinions would be the truest of any “test market”. Haha
 Message #87559
leef2020
RE: Taylormade Twist Face
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Friday March 16, 2018 10:19 PM
I saw the clubs at the PGA Show in Orlando this past January.

It is my understanding that the 'twist face' is simply a design change in the amount of bulge/role at the toe and heel of the drivers. The point is that 'according to their research' when a golf ball is hit in these areas the 'gear effect' of previous drivers (have not looked at any detail nor am I familiar with their comparison driver faces -- club manufacturers do not have any standard bulge/roll specs for their designs), there is 'too much' spin/curve caused by the resulting gear effect. So, their claim is that high-toe drives start out right, but then hook too much, past the center of the target line, resulting in shots too far left. Likewise, their claim is that shots hit low/left on the heel of the driver creates too much spin, resulting in a sliced ball that then travels too far right of the target line. So, they are suggesting the M3/M4s create less gear effect on the ball, which they probably do for those shots.

Their marketing/name is a bit misleading, with the name suggesting that the face of the driver actually 'twists' more than before. This is not the case, as I understand it. Pretty much all manufacturers are already at the 0.83 COR limit of how much the face of the club can flex/rebound during/after impact.

So, if you're hitting a lot of shots off the toe and/or heel and seeing the tee shot cross the fairway into the left rough, or vice versa, maybe the M3/M4 would help. If that's not a problem for you, don't bother right now. For those for which this is an issue, I'd suggest asking, why are you not hitting the center of the club face more often? Is the shaft the right shaft for you? Is it the correct length, weight, flex profile, swing weight, etc.?

My guess is you'd look good in a new hat and stuff ;-).

[[Edited by leef2020 on Friday March 16, 2018 10:22 PM]]
 Message #87560 - This was a reply to message #87559
kevbig
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Saturday March 17, 2018 1:19 AM
Hit about 50 balls with the M4 at the Taylormade Golf Experience here in Vegas and I have to say that I was really impressed. Definitely a smaller dispersion pattern when compared to my current driver, Titleist 913 D2. But with the twist face I did find it more difficult to work the ball. I guess that wouldn’t matter too much if you’re down the middle with a straight shot though .
 Message #87564 - This was a reply to message #87559
golferic420

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

Saturday March 17, 2018 8:48 AM
Thanks for the insight. I don’t mind my drives being long and straight, haha!
I’ll see what the fine folks at Roger Dunn say. Maybe hit a few balls in their simulator.
 Message #87565 - This was a reply to message #87564

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]