My Golf Club Saga
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie, Ricky
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 22, 2018 10:13 AM
So..... I left my clubs in my car, in my driveway AND forgot to lock it. Came out in the morning to find the clubs missing. Only at this point did I ever realize just how much time and money I put into evolving my set of clubs to a place where I was comfortable with everything. It was because of this relationship that I felt more loss than one usually does with an item being stolen (not as bad as losing you phone or wallet but still bad).

I thought - someone has to be selling these somewhere so I spent some time online seeing what other people have done. Visit pawn shops... (ugh) leave pictures at nearby golf courses.... (really?) and perhaps visit a used club reseller (none nearby my house but a definite maybe). After and hour - I just googled used golf clubs Los Angeles and the 5th link was for OfferUp.com. It's basically a slick version of Craigslist.

Loaded the page and started an area search in a 10 mile radius around my house. Middle of the first page of my search - there was my bag and all my clubs in it. My heart was racing - what do I do? I decided to buy them back. Of course this meant making an account - which I did - and sending an offer to the thieves - which I tried to do but got a message from the website "This Item has been sold already". Crap! I just missed it. Not sure what to do, I filed a police report and was told the detective might get ahold of me in 2-4 days.

I took screen grabs of my clubs being sold - my rangefinder being sold separately and my golf balls also being sold separately.
I also perused the other items being sold by the person(s) that stole my clubs and it was a cornucopia of things you would steal from cars and then resell on the open market.

Another problem was that I was leaving in 5 days to go on a 3 day trip to Mesquite and Coyote Springs to play golf and currently I had very few clubs to take on the trip. Luckily fellow GK'er roarksown1 and my friend Brad who was going on the trip loaned me some clubs - so I played a couple of rounds before the trip and figured out which clubs worked and which didn't - I bought a couple of clubs to fill holes in the cobbled together set.

The detective did call me back in a couple of days and was interested in all the info I had. I talked him through finding my stuff on OfferUp and mailed him all my pictures. I visited a neighbor who has cameras all over their house and indeed they have a camera pointed at their driveway that also covered my driveway in the background. I got the footage of the thieves from the neighbor and also mailed that to the detective.

So that was that - I headed to Nevada with the thought that my clubs are likely gone forever and maybe the detective will get my rangefinder back someday but maybe not.

After I got back and had some free time I decided to see if maybe my clubs had been relisted somewhere. I had been searching before the trip and found nothing, but you never know. I got back on OfferUp and realized that I might not have set my search radius far enough so I set it to 30 miles from my house and started scrolling through all the "golf" items for sale. After scrolling for pages and pages - I found my wedges being sold as a set of 3. Looking at the other items that person was selling - there was also my putter. I realized that these had been listed a week ago and I missed them before my trip so probably most of the other stuff had been sold. But considering I was ready to replace my irons anyway - here was 4 of the 8 clubs I really wanted to get back - I sent an offer for $60 for my wedges and waited.... It took 10 hours to get a response that it was accepted and then I had to wait a couple of days for the meet up. I was really nervous about my interaction with this person - did he have any more of my clubs? Was he suspicious of my new account? Was he the criminal type? I added an offer a couple of days into the delay for my putter $40 as nonchalantly as I could - like it was an afterthought. I was thinking too much about this interaction and it was causing me to loose an hour or two of sleep every night before the meet-up.

I had decided to probably mention that I was buying my stolen clubs to the seller and see if he had any more when I met him. Of course I would have to size him up a bit. My wife was nervous - she was going through all the worst case scenarios. We set a time to meet at a Starbucks later that day and make the exchange. Just after I set up the meeting, I got a call from the detective. The thieves had been caught with lots of stolen items and drugs and guns and maybe a stolen car. My tip had led to catching this early twenties white couple who were on a crime spree in my surrounding neighborhood. Oh and by the way - they had my rangefinder and golf balls that I could pick up that day. That was a good start.

On to Starbucks! I met the guy - he seemed really nice - and we talked golf a bit. I paid him for my clubs and then asked about the rest of my stuff. He looked surprised but as a golfer he understood my loss. He told me he'd only sold the golf bag so far. I offered to buy the rest of the clubs. He felt weird taking any more of my money for my clubs. I had though of something like this and had brought along the best of my spare clubs. Nicer than the clubs of mine he had - I also brought the 5 iron and gap wedge from the iron set to give him perhaps in exchange but luckily they came in handy as proof that the iron set was indeed mine. He went back to his house and got all the rest of my clubs and came back to Starbucks - I gave him a driver and a 5 wood for my woods, irons and my extra wedge.

So in the end I spent quite a bit of time and mental effort on this Saga - I spent roughly $300 to get everything except my bag and it's personal contents (extra socks, sunscreen, …) back and also - now, I have this story.
 Message #88654
kurator62
RE: My Golf Club Saga

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    classic club

Friday June 22, 2018 10:24 AM
WOW
 Message #88655 - This was a reply to message #88654
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday June 22, 2018 11:10 AM
I Double that WOW!

Amazed the police A. were even interested and that B. they did something. After my recent hit and run (almost $4,000 in damages) where I thought me being able to write down the guys license plate number was golden only to be told by the police they didn't have the manpower to chase things like that down (turns out if I would have been hurt they would have shown more interest). My insurance Co. found they guy, the police did nothing.
 Message #88656 - This was a reply to message #88655
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Friday June 22, 2018 11:22 AM
Amazing that you were able to find them for sale. Should be a detective!

So, the guy you met was not the one who stole the clubs? Sounds like he 'unwittingly' bought your clubs and stuff from the perps?
 Message #88657 - This was a reply to message #88654
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Friday June 22, 2018 11:33 AM
Interesting story, thanks for taking the time to share it. Nice to see a story about a police officer that cared and did something with the info you provided. Not sure it is a happy ending but it is a good one, all things considered.
 Message #88660 - This was a reply to message #88654
kassper7

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie, Ricky
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Friday June 22, 2018 2:02 PM
QUOTED  So, the guy you met was not the one who stole the clubs? Sounds like he 'unwittingly' bought your clubs and stuff from the perps?

Yea he offered them $120 bucks for my whole set (OfferedUp at $150) and drove 40 minutes each way to get them. I have no idea how shady the thief was that he bought them from. I tried not to ask too many probing questions of the guy. People see a deal and think they can sell the pieces for more than the set and put them back online.

QUOTED  Nice to see a story about a police officer that cared and did something with the info you provided.

I guess - there is something to be said to the fact that I gave them the info of who stole them and that they were obviously stealing a lot. The detective said he had just put 20 hours of OT into this case when I met him. I imagine this case had a lot of bang for the buck. He was able to close a bunch of theft reports in the area.

I had contacted the police in hopes they could help me find who bought the clubs but that probably wasn't going to happen. I also wrote an e-mail to OfferUp asking them to help but their customer service (email only) is just a tiny tick better than "completely sucks".

[[Edited by kassper7 on Friday June 22, 2018 7:43 PM]]
 Message #88662 - This was a reply to message #88660
dconnally

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Friday June 22, 2018 2:44 PM
Is there a "Like" button for this thread?!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #88663 - This was a reply to message #88662
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Noonan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bushwood

Friday June 22, 2018 7:02 PM
Double like but horrible thanks for sharing an educational adventure.

A girl stole my heart once....
 Message #88665 - This was a reply to message #88663
golferic420

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

Friday June 22, 2018 7:15 PM
Wow! Crazy story Perry! Glad it worked out (kinda) in the end.
So glad the perps got BUSTED!!!!!!!

[[Edited by golferic420 on Friday June 22, 2018 7:16 PM]]
 Message #88666 - This was a reply to message #88654
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Saturday June 23, 2018 12:42 AM
QUOTED  I guess - there is something to be said to the fact that I gave them the info of who stole them and that they were obviously stealing a lot. The detective said he had just put 20 hours of OT into this case when I met him. I imagine this case had a lot of bang for the buck. He was able to close a bunch of theft reports in the area.

I had contacted the police in hopes they could help me find who bought the clubs but that probably wasn't going to happen.

If I could PROVE those clubs were mine (serial numbers, photos that showed conclusive distinguishing marks while in my possession etc.) I would have called the police and tried to have them on site for the Starbucks meet. There is a reasonable possibility the guy you met is guilty of a criminal offense called receiving stolen property. If there is evidence (like a deal too good to be true), the burden is on the guy you were meeting. He would have to show that he he either did not know or SHOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN the property was stolen.

If he is not judged to be a bonafide purchaser for value, legally, he gets $0 and also has a criminal offense hanging over their head. You get your property back w/o paying for it a 2nd time. It is then up to the guy you were meeting to go after any $$$ he paid a 3rd party thief.

Would I be correct in assuming this guy had no proof that he actually purchased your clubs from "thieves"? Just his word?

With tens of thousands of used clubs available online and in golf stores, I find it hard to believe that this guy is legitimately looking online locally for used golf club deals that he can quickly resell at enough of a profit to make it worthwhile. I think you are being WAY too generous in giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, not to mention the $$$ you gave him. What is the likelihood that if the police checked his inventory that your equipment would be the only things reported stolen in his possession?
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #88668 - This was a reply to message #88666

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]