jciapa02
Classic Blades!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 11, 2018 4:15 PM
Just recently (as of today) purchased some vintage Wilson Staff irons off Ebay that look in amazing condition for the presumed year they came from with my research. Bought 2 iron through PW Stiff shaft 1977 Wilson Staff blades, gotta say I can't wait for them to get in and play with them. I've been eyeing some classic blades for myself ever since I surprised my dad with a set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge blades in similarly great condition for $15 from a local Play it Again Sports. These look like the purest of blades I could find without going into today's modern iron type budget which I wasn't wanting LOL. I currently game the Nike Forged ProCombo irons 3-PW and feel these might shine a light to my game I'm ready to explore.

This purchase has me thinking, what are some classic clubs you could wish to get a hold of and go play?

[[Edited by jciapa02 on Wednesday July 11, 2018 4:16 PM]]
 Message #88826
weber
RE: Classic Blades!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    George Dunne (ILL)

Wednesday July 11, 2018 4:39 PM
I have a set of 1967 Wilson Staff blades, 2 thru sand wedge - all original. I try to make it a point of playing once a year with these clubs and also use some permission woods (Macgregor Tommy Armour 945 driver and M75 fairway woods. I would guess their age is late 1950's - early 1960's ?

It is incredible how tiny the heads are on these clubs. When you hit them "on the screws" they still perform reasonably well, but miss just a little and the ball goes no where. The irons are wonderful, but again they have a sweet spot about the size of a nickel. Plus the lofts are very weak. A 7 iron is about the same as a modern 9 iron.

Playing them makes me appreciate how much better golfer I used to be ! And how great the tour players were pre-1975.
 Message #88827 - This was a reply to message #88826
dcoachl

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aguila

Wednesday July 11, 2018 6:33 PM
I recently put some old Tommy Armour blades back in my bag. I still love these irons. I also have some old Snake Eyes blades that are great irons as well.
I also take 1 or 2 clubs more with my old irons. Occasionally I will hit a good shot on a par 3 and someone in my group will ask me what club I hit. I might say I hit a 5 iron. It amuses me when they airmail their brand new 5 iron over the back of the green.
 Message #88829 - This was a reply to message #88826
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Thursday July 12, 2018 1:33 AM
Very cool.

I've got a set of Wilson Staff Tour blade irons (1978-1980) that I played very well with back in the day. Not sure when I retired them fully, as I later played Ping Eye/Eye 2's and switched between them until around 2000 when I bought a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons. Looking at them today, and understanding golf clubs better, it is interesting to see that the Wilson Staff Tours have a 'digger' sole, with essentially negative sole bounce. I did take some monster divots with them on the Michigan clay soil!

A set that I also bought on eBay a few years ago, was a set of Power Built ThoroughBred irons, which were the first irons I bought/played in high school. I played those once and they really weren't too bad. I loved them back in the 1970's. But, nowhere near the forgiveness of today's forged CB irons.

If you ever need 'just one', or want to see some pictures of various years for irons by manufacturer, this Costa Mesa, CA company, Ironfinder, seems to have some amazing stock, albeit in an array of 'used' conditions. I drove by their building for years, thinking they built iron railings or something, then finally did a Google search on them last year...

https://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Irons/wilson/

I've thought about one day sending the set of Wilsons off to GolfWorks in Ohio for refurbishing, including re-chroming. But, for now, it's just too expensive and not real practical. May still have the SW done just for posterity's sake, as I used that club for many years, and am still searching for a SW that I can hit out of bunkers as well!

Hit 'em well!
 Message #88832 - This was a reply to message #88826
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Thursday July 12, 2018 6:51 AM
QUOTED  When you hit them "on the screws" they still perform reasonably well, but miss just a little and the ball goes no where. The irons are wonderful, but again they have a sweet spot about the size of a nickel. Plus the lofts are very weak. A 7 iron is about the same as a modern 9 iron.

How true Tom. I played Ping Karsten I's from 1973-2000. They are not blades, but are just as applicable to your comment as pre 1975 clubs. I played a round with them awhile back and if hit almost perfectly, they are within 1 club of my modern Pings. However, miss them even a little, and they are 15-30 yards different. I hit what I thought were a few okay iron shots that even taking an extra club ended up woefully short of the intended target.

QUOTED  Playing them makes me appreciate how much better golfer I used to be ! And how great the tour players were pre-1975.

Agree totally that it provides new appreciation on how precise you had to be back in the day to get consistent results with the old small, "sweet spot" clubs.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #88833 - This was a reply to message #88827
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday July 12, 2018 8:41 AM
www.benhogangolf.com has the new and improved inside almost same outside Edge irons and more. Cool stuff

Going back home and will seek my old Wilson Killer Whale driver that Big John used back in 1994-5 the beginning of the long drive era?

The old blades from back in the day are either in good condition overall or the dime size spot right in the middle is worn out.

Remember the Wilson "Fat Shafts" or 1200 gear effect?
 Message #88834 - This was a reply to message #88832
jciapa02

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

Thursday July 12, 2018 5:03 PM
QUOTED  www.benhogangolf.com has the new and improved inside almost same outside Edge irons and more. Cool stuff

This website shows some beautiful clubs that are priced perfectly, blades in black for $700 made to order? Yes!! I bought Rocketballz irons once for $400, if I could've saved a few more hundreds and had those, I would've done it in a second.

QUOTED  I also take 1 or 2 clubs more with my old irons. Occasionally I will hit a good shot on a par 3 and someone in my group will ask me what club I hit. I might say I hit a 5 iron.

Honestly, looking at the lofts the classic blades had they're relatively similar to my current gamers (Nike Pro Combo's) and I carry my 7 iron in the summer of AZ around 190 so I'm not too worried. If these bad boys strike well and I feel good interacting with the hot turf...I'll happily lose a few yards and laugh when I'm tucked close and the playing partners are scratching their heads with some "new and improved" Taylormade irons.

Blades are just...so...darn...playable and pretty I always drool when I pure a 5 iron and drool more when I put it back in my bag!
 Message #88839 - This was a reply to message #88834
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Saturday July 14, 2018 4:31 AM
I have pw-3i 1976 Wilson Staff irons hand me downs I used when I started playing I keep promising myself I will reshaft and put back in play. Thanks for posting this thread, might finally follow up on it now.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Saturday July 14, 2018 4:31 AM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #88843 - This was a reply to message #88826
jciapa02

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

Monday July 16, 2018 12:41 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By JohnnyGK on 07.14.2018 4:31 AM]

I have pw-3i 1976 Wilson Staff irons hand me downs I used when I started playing I keep promising myself I will reshaft and put back in play. Thanks for posting this thread, might finally follow up on it now.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Saturday July 14, 2018 4:31 AM]]

Played with them on the course and man, they were pure. Yes my poorly hit shots kind of flubbed right and short but with the well struck shots...they just penetrated the consistent wind we had all day. Paired with a stiff shaft and my swing speed, these blades are sure to make me become wayyyy better. I'd suggest regripping and reshafting yours asap, these are STILL high quality sticks!!
 Message #88853 - This was a reply to message #88843

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]