Links at Victoria looks done ...
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 11, 2018 6:52 PM
Sad day despite all the poor qualities of this course. Layout was great and green complexes as well. Just could never keep the fairways alive.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/09/11/county-reveals-details-of-carson-recreation-venue-to-replace-victoria-golf-course/

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Thursday September 13, 2018 9:20 AM]]
 Message #89360
trevorbmeyer
RE: Links at Victoria looks done ...

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore & Moe Norman
Favorite Golf Course:
    Arroyo Trabuco Golf Club

Thursday September 13, 2018 1:50 AM
That is too bad. Unfortunately, it was always a dog meat course as far as maintenance, but I too liked the holes. I thought the par 3 in the corner (I want to say around hole number four or five) was always pleasing to the eye. It seemed to be that the four holes on the outside of the course were nice and the interior holes were a wreck. But, I learned a lot at this course, and they had sand in their practice area which is not always available, even at some nice courses. It was nice to have a reasonably priced course to go to before or after work while around the 405.

[[Edited by trevorbmeyer on Wednesday September 19, 2018 12:54 AM]]
 Message #89370 - This was a reply to message #89360
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday September 13, 2018 9:23 AM
QUOTED  That is too bad. Unfortunately, it was always a dog meat course as far as maintenance, but I tool liked the holes. I thought the par 3 in the corner (I want to say around hole number four or five) was always pleasing to the eye. It seemed to be that the four holes on the outside of the course were nice and they interior holes were a wreck. But, I learned a lot at this course, and they had sand in their practice area which is not always available, even at some nice courses. It was nice to have a reasonably priced course to go to before or after work while around the 405.

I totally agree, Trevor … any time a course closes it's a sad day, but this particular one is even more sad since it's always had such great potential. As you said, they kept the corner (holes 14-17) by the 405 in nice condition somehow, but could never get the fairways consistently green for the rest of the course. The layout though overall was really great with a nice variety of holes, and the greens were always pretty darn good. It's a shame. I know that I'll be playing it at least one last time before the curtain comes down ...
 Message #89374 - This was a reply to message #89370
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday September 13, 2018 10:19 AM
I played it once, a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. I met GK'r ppark81 there when we were paired as singles. I've kept intending to play it again when conditions improved, but it never happened. I'm not surprised it's closing since also losing Dominguez Hills just across the freeway.
 Message #89376 - This was a reply to message #89374
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 13, 2018 12:55 PM
Maybe the county will now place some importance on Alondra? Think of all the $$$$ money used on Victoria that could have been used at Alondra for the residents of the S Bay? But if we citizens can think like that, you know the county won't spend a dime? Both the county and the city, nickel/dime the operators of the courses, at the expense of the golfing public. Just one of the many reasons why some golf courses make it and others don't. IMO.
 Message #89379 - This was a reply to message #89360
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Thursday September 13, 2018 1:14 PM
Janice Hahn wants to close Alondra and make the area one big park because she hates golf. She was making noises about Los Verdes under serving the community because not every one plays golf. I believe the Grand Jury looked at this subject at her urging, the timing was just too coincidental. http://grandjury.co.la.ca.us/pdf/2017-2018%20Los%20Angeles%20County%20C ivil%20Grand%20Jury%20Final%20Report.pdf
 Message #89380 - This was a reply to message #89379
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 13, 2018 1:32 PM
QUOTED  Janice Hahn wants to close Alondra and make the area one big park because she hates golf. She was making noises about Los Verdes under serving the community because not every one plays golf. I believe the Grand Jury looked at this subject at her urging, the timing was just too coincidental.

I am not surprised at anything this idiot would say or do? She, in my opinion is a POS. She would steal from her own mother if it benefited her.
 Message #89382 - This was a reply to message #89380
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Thursday September 13, 2018 2:57 PM
Aside from the disappointment of losing a golf course, in reading the article at the link provided, it does sound like the new potential facilities could offer a significant opportunity and benefit for diverse sporting and activities for the local community, etc.

Might have to move nearby!
 Message #89383 - This was a reply to message #89360
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday September 13, 2018 6:01 PM
QUOTED  Janice Hahn wants to close Alondra and make the area one big park because she hates golf. She was making noises about Los Verdes under serving the community because not every one plays golf. I believe the Grand Jury looked at this subject at her urging, the timing was just too coincidental. http://grandjury.co.la.ca.us/pdf/2017-2018%20Los%20Angeles%20County%20C ivil%20Grand%20Jury%20Final%20Report.pdf

Love to read that Bob but the link is not working? Is it working for you?
 Message #89385 - This was a reply to message #89380
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday September 13, 2018 6:04 PM
QUOTED  Maybe the county will now place some importance on Alondra? Think of all the $$$$ money used on Victoria that could have been used at Alondra for the residents of the S Bay? But if we citizens can think like that, you know the county won't spend a dime? Both the county and the city, nickel/dime the operators of the courses, at the expense of the golfing public. Just one of the many reasons why some golf courses make it and others don't. IMO.

I absolutely wish that would be the case, Larry … imagine how much better Alondra could be with some better funding. But I'm pretty sure that 'saved' money just means money going back into someone else's pocket or pet project instead of where it should go. I can live with one of the local courses for the So Bay being eradicated, but definitely not two. If they go after Alondra, I'm picketing.
 Message #89386 - This was a reply to message #89379

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]