Familiarity to course equals lower scores

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 18, 2018 4:32 AM
I have noticed something since I am playing the same courses alot. Let me start off by setting an example, I was a very good bowler back in the day and in 1973 when the high average in a good house was 205, I was high in a very very difficult house at 197, next to me was 192. That same year I joined a traveling league, Greater LA Allstars, there were many pros bowling that league, Barry Asher, Bobby Knipple, ETC and high average was about 205, I ended up averaging 194, which was good. So therefore the conclusion is that when you bowl in the same house your scores will be higher. Well IMHO it is the same for golf. We play 5 courses allot (los serranos north and south, mile square classic and players and goose creek) with a few other courses thrown in between with our OFG group.I have noticed my scores and handicap have lowered because course familiarity and I wonder now if that is a true test of my handicap. When I see on TV that such and such is a 6 handicap at such and such country club, I assume that he plays there the vast majority of the time, which means course familiarity will probably be lowering his handicap.I have played twice at courses that I haven't played at in years and once at a new course and really notice the difference, it may be the difference of 3 to 6 shots, shooting 91 vs 85 for me. I do keep my stats so this is my observation, does anyone else notice this?
 Message #89407
HmtGolfGuy
RE: Familiarity to course equals lower scores

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Tuesday September 18, 2018 9:27 AM
Great topic! I think being familiar with a course helps by knowing where you can and cannot miss, bath for fairways and especially greens. On the other hand I often find my first time at a course I play for middle of the fairway and green and post a good score, then on subsequent visits I think I know what I’m doing (but really don’t - yet) and my score goes up until I truly know the course.

Best example for me is way back when Oak Valley first opened. I was playing to about a 5 handicap at the time and shot a 76 from the back tees playing “Neanderthal” golf (me hit fairway, me hit green, 2-putt). - it took me almost a year to equal it! Maybe I should learn from it and try to play more conservatively on a regular basis . . . Nah, that’s no fun!

[[Edited by HmtGolfGuy on Tuesday September 18, 2018 9:29 AM]]
 Message #89408 - This was a reply to message #89407
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie, Ricky
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Tuesday September 18, 2018 9:37 AM
I have always believed this adage to be true. Although there are people who say they don't believe it. I know the easiest ways to lower and raise my handicap. Lower: play courses I know that are straightforward and have reasonable course ratings - Encino, Balboa, Lakewood, etc. Raise: play courses I've never played or that are hard (usually both). For whatever reason the handicap system only seems to give me and extra 1-4 shots difference between theses two types but my scores are consistently 3-8 shots worse (playing similarly).

Near my house is Westchester executive (par 64) course and even though I've played it a lot - my familiarity with it is negated by the course rating which says that I need to shoot well below my handicap (4-6 strokes) to allow a round there to lower my handicap - so I've found that I can easily raise my handicap by playing there (which I try to do before GK Cup starts). I always try to shoot my best score - no matter where I'm playing.

Finally, course rating doesn't take into account conditions and weather of when you are playing so my handicap is also seasonal (higher in the winter and spring from fall/winter playing and lower in summer/fall from spring and summer playing)

I won't even dredge up the (lower handicap players have an advantage in Match Play due to statistical variance) idea but suffice to say that I find the whole handicap system to make about as much sense - yet to be as entrenched - as our system of tipping in the United States.
 Message #89409 - This was a reply to message #89407
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Tuesday September 18, 2018 12:09 PM
For me this has the greatest impact is on the greens. When you know the breaks and feel a familiarity with speed, you're likely to hole more putts. On the rest of the course, it helps to know where I can miss, etc., but it ultimately comes down to execution on those full shots.
 Message #89410 - This was a reply to message #89409
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Saturday September 29, 2018 10:02 PM
QUOTED  I know the easiest ways to lower and raise my handicap. Lower: play courses I know that are straightforward and have reasonable course ratings - Encino, Balboa, Lakewood, etc. Raise: play courses I've never played or that are hard (usually both). For whatever reason the handicap system only seems to give me and extra 1-4 shots difference between theses two types but my scores are consistently 3-8 shots worse (playing similarly).

Mark IS correct, it comes down to execution. Because we don't always play well on an easier course we know well. However, playing the odds, I agree with Keith and Perry. Perry's analysis is spot on IMO.

I regularly have 15 or more courses listed for my last 20 rounds for handicapping purposes. Put me on a shorter course with a lower slope that I am familiar with, decent chance it will count among my lowest 10 adjusted handicap rounds toward lowering my handicap. Put me on a longer course with a higher slope that I am less familiar with, decent chance it will not count among my best 10 adjusted handicap rounds for my handicap.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #89492 - This was a reply to message #89409
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Tuesday October 2, 2018 8:38 PM
I agree 100%. Course knowledge plays a big part of scores for any course that is not a straight forward, up and back, kind of course. Knowing when to put the driver in the bag and pull out something else, or when to lay up instead of going for it, knowing which rough is penalizing and which is worth it for the short cut offered- all count for strokes. I know when I've played unknown courses that were challenging but I was grouped with locals who knew the course I saved myself strokes by listening to their banter and watching club choice.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #89515 - This was a reply to message #89492

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]