Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Tiger Wood's Great Play - Motivates You To Play?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Tiger Wood's Great Play - Motivates You To Play?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1
JohnnyGK
Tiger Wood's Great Play - Motivates You To Play?

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 24, 2018 8:00 AM
As we all know by now, Tiger did it, he came back, he's competing with the best of them and he finally broke through with a win at the Tour Championship...

My question is: Is his great play motivating you to want to play golf more?

I'll be the first to answer...YES and a resounding yes at that. The positive energy I felt yesterday made me, with a billion things to do on a Monday want to drop everything today and play, I didn't, but I was as close to doing so in long time.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday September 24, 2018 8:01 AM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #89452
hermgolfs
RE: Tiger Wood's Great Play - Motivates You To Play?

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    El Prado, either course

Monday September 24, 2018 8:13 AM
I have not swung a club this year, but Tiger’s win yesterday has me thinking about playing again soon.
 Message #89453 - This was a reply to message #89452
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Monday September 24, 2018 1:55 PM
The thing that comes to mind first is the fact that soooooooooo many people wrote off TW as toast. Not me. I kept the faith even in the midst of his worst chip yips and travails, both physical, marital and otherwise. And, we all love comeback stories and his takes the cake.

As far as he being a motivating factor, not for me. I get motivated by losing to my playing partner and by finding something in practice that works on the course.
 Message #89462 - This was a reply to message #89452
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday September 24, 2018 2:07 PM
Yeah...right. I have a better chance at being asked to join the Rolling Stones before I allow anything Tiger Woods does on the golf course determine whether or not I play more golf.
 Message #89463 - This was a reply to message #89452
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday September 24, 2018 8:02 PM
Whether Tiger is #1 in the world or not playing, I play as much as I do because I have the time and I enjoy playing golf. But I DO enjoy watching him play and seeing the effect he has on the fans and other players.

More new golf courses were being opened and renovated than closing during Tiger's ascent to the top and his dominance period. (1997-2008). Many courses were surviving, but not thriving during Tiger's on/off period (2009-2013). Many more courses were closing than opening during his down period (2014-2018). Coincidence? I think not...

Why did courses close? Water Costs? Drought? Economy? All played a factor. But the downturn in the golf industry as a whole played a larger factor. Many closed courses would likely still be open today if they had another 50,000 or 100,000 paid rounds per year in spite of the above.

Love him or hate him, the fact remains that Tiger drives the golf industry like no other ever has. The positive energy his comeback has created cannot hurt the game of golf.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #89468 - This was a reply to message #89463
dethman

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday September 24, 2018 8:21 PM
QUOTED  Love him or hate him, the fact remains that Tiger drives the golf industry like no other ever has. The positive energy his comeback has created cannot hurt the game of golf.

Well said.
 Message #89470 - This was a reply to message #89468
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie, Ricky
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Tuesday September 25, 2018 9:45 AM
Vaguely related - did anyone else see the article about San Snead's 82 victories.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/forget-sam-snead-tiger-woods-already-h as-the-tour-record-for-wins-seriously

"Snead won the Palm Beach Round Robin five times. He faced only 15 competitors in four of those instances, and 14 in the other. While we're here, one of the 36-hole tournaments, the 1946 World Championship of Golf, had all of four players in it. Might as well credit Tiger for his "Monday Night Golf" showdowns or his seven PGA Grand Slam of Golf titles."

This was the first time I had heard this but I couldn't help but think about all the other sports numbers that deserve an asterisk next to them as well.
 Message #89472 - This was a reply to message #89470
SCGolf

Favorite Golfer:
    Angelo Erikson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Southern Hills

Tuesday September 25, 2018 12:18 PM
QUOTED still be open today if they had another 50,000 or 100,000 paid rounds per year

The average green fee at a public facility was $34 in 2017. @ 50k rounds, that's $1.7M. @100k rounds, that's $3.4M.
100k rounds spread over 365 days = 274 more rounds/day. 10 tee times /day, groups of 5... that's 5-1/2 packed hours on the tee sheet.
50 & 100k doesn't fit the eye test.... given another $1.7M, I would think even American Golf could make a poorly managed facility profitable

We send our monthly rounds totals to the National Golf Foundation. It's the clearinghouse for our industry. While the database is only available to our membership community, a summary/overview of the state of the industry is nicely laid out in this article.

https://www.thengfq.com/2018/05/ngf-issues-2018-golf-industry-report/

FIGHT ON
 Message #89475 - This was a reply to message #89468

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]