Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Trying to Improve - But No Dedication - Little ...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Trying to Improve - But No Dedication - Little Results

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
JohnnyGK
Trying to Improve - But No Dedication - Little Results

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday October 14, 2018 10:34 PM
I love taking golf lessons. I learn a lot and I hit the ball well at my lessons.

But I have yet to go to range to work on what I've learned. Heck I don't even give myself much time to warm up before my rounds. I'm very disappointed in myself for not being disciplined enough to apply the great advice from my instructor GDR23. I feel like I'm not only doing myself a disservice but him as well. Today I was a train wreck off the tee. Trying to apply some of my golf lessons, getting frustrated, reverting to my old swing, getting frustrated, hitting a few good shots here and there giving me a false sense of "OK I got this figured out" then next swing is way off.

If I could only find the time. Anytime I have some time for golf I want to use it play. I love playing and don't enjoy the range much. Oh well.

Tried some silver bullets. Cut my driver down a 1/2 inch. Replaced my 2i with a 3i hybrid. We'll see if that helps. Sure did not today.

At least I'm trying to improve. If only doing very little.

Hopefully I'll get more motivated after this post. Heck, I got to get my game in shape for my dream round at Pebble Beach in January!
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #89625
Krystal
RE: Trying to Improve - But No Dedication - Little Results

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

Sunday October 14, 2018 11:58 PM
Two words 'playing lesson.'

A good professional is able to transitiona lesson plan from the range to the course. Practical experience is as important as conveying the technical/mechanical. When we learn how to drive a vehicle, we practice then transition to streets& highways. Your pro should be able to model shots so you could emulate.

krys
 Message #89626 - This was a reply to message #89625
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday October 15, 2018 4:09 AM
Here's a general training guide for you to ponder. Most "experts" suggest 10 hours of practice per week to be proficient at a sport at the basic amateur level and 15-25 hours per week at the elite level and 35+ hours at the professional level. Given that think about this. Last year only seven (7) PGA professionals had an accuracy rate higher than 69% of fairways hit. NOTE: Stenson had the highest accuracy rate of 74% and he uses his 3 wood most of the time. Phil Michelson had a 51% accuracy rate off the tee.

So if the top elite pros can't hit a fairway.... how the heck are we suppose to find the short grass??!!??

One thing I do know is you have to find a quality coach (regardless of the sport) and stick with the program. And I expect at least 2 birdies at Pebble!
 Message #89627 - This was a reply to message #89626
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday October 15, 2018 10:45 AM
QUOTED  If I could only find the time. Anytime I have some time for golf I want to use it play. I love playing and don't enjoy the range much. Oh well.

you obviously have the time.. you just choose to play golf with that time.

but, here is how I view it:

1. I take a lesson, I don't want that wasted. Getting changes to stick is hard. If you are hitting it great during your lesson, your objective should be to replicate that on your own, at least in spurts of 5-10 balls. And when you think you have it, keep working at it, cuz you don't... you will revert, or some other thing will pop up... the swing in constantly evolving... which is where the instructor is key to keep you on the path of progress. but if you don't work on it at all, from a purely physiologic standpoint, it's hard to make those motor control changes.

2. time: round of golf is 4-6 hrs total time. practice session could be as little as half hour. you have the time, you just need to make it a priority.

how about practice for an hour, then play 9 holes.

During the summer, I would get home at 7:30pm, which would leave me less than an hour of daylight, as my range does not have lights... I would scoot to the range for 30 min with a wedge and an 8 iron and hit balls before the sun went down.

I like to play at sunrise, but sometimes, if I have to be somewhere in the morning, I might still get up early and go practice for an hour.

3. enjoyment: if you keep it in small time chunks, I think you'll find it more enjoyable... get some success and call it a session. Or, if you have more time, keep the hitting session 20-30 min... hit the chipping green for 20-30 min, bunkers for 10 min, putt for 20-30... you can configure however you want.

playing lesson is always good too... but for me, the playing lesson emphasis would be less on the swing, which is fine, if i'm not trying to work on a specific swing problem.

bottom line, you have the time.
 Message #89628 - This was a reply to message #89625
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday October 15, 2018 10:53 AM
Lessons: whenever I have something "new" in the lesson, it usually take some time for me before it becomes a part of me in my swing.
It's usually a progression of building up that new lesson in me. The best time for me to take a lesson is during a golf down time (i.e. course aeration). I also like taking about 4 weeks for it (a disciplined time to work on it) before I take it on the course for practice rounds. There are times that I do go out in the middle of learning- it's tough, but I stick it out and only do what's in the new lesson. Play poor, yes, sometimes not. But I would rather play poor at that time than the rest of the time.

If you can, or whenever I can get a playing lesson after a new swing lesson, I would put everything down to make it.

Swing Tips: it's totally a different thing than a lesson.
JVGA
 Message #89629 - This was a reply to message #89625
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Monday October 15, 2018 2:30 PM
QUOTED  two words 'playing lesson.'

Will do. Tough part for me is it has to be on a Monday with my instructor.

QUOTED  So if the top elite pros can't hit a fairway.... how the heck are we suppose to find the short grass??!!??

Did not know those stats, OK, I feel a little better now.

QUOTED  One thing I do know is you have to find a quality coach (regardless of the sport) and stick with the program. And I expect at least 2 birdies at Pebble!

Min - 2 birdies at Pebble! - and yes got a quality coach and will stick with the program. Thanks!

QUOTED  you obviously have the time.. you just choose to play golf with that time.

Playing is sporadic depending on where my travels take me but YES, I do have the time, I need to build up my commitment. I had 15 minutes today to hit 20 balls after grabbing my mail, so I did. I'll look to do the same tomorrow. Develop a practice groove and carry that into 30 minute sessions and eventually 60 minute sessions. Can only get better with practice.

QUOTED  I also like taking about 4 weeks for it (a disciplined time to work on it) before I take it on the course for practice rounds.

That sounds like a plan.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday October 15, 2018 2:31 PM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #89631 - This was a reply to message #89626
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Monday October 15, 2018 3:08 PM
Hi Johnny I do my playing lessons on Saturday's as well as Monday's. I am also flexible for Sunday afternoon's for students for a playing lesson.

Krystal and Michael make good points--lessons without practice at the range or on the course(playing lessons) will make it hard for the player to transfer what they are learning during a lesson and apply it on a consistent basis. I encourage all my students and juniors to practice a couple times a week and to play at least once a week. I am currently working with a junior that is 8 years old. I encourage mom and dad to be right behind the stall(during our lesson) so they can also hear and remind their son during the week what we are trying to accomplish with his set-up and golf swing.
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #89632 - This was a reply to message #89631
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday October 16, 2018 8:00 AM
I just can't do the "take a lesson, let it work it's way in eventually" path. I'd give up on the changes too fast.

I can figure out minor adjustments on my own well enough, but once every 5-10 years I get into such a funk that I need lessons. When it comes to that, then I forget about playing golf for a while. Range only for 3-6 months until those changes are ingrained in the swing.
 Message #89637 - This was a reply to message #89625
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Tuesday October 16, 2018 5:13 PM
Johnny,

Sounds like you are attacking the mechanical point of the game but what about improving the other functions?

What are you doing to practice your mental approach to the game? I've played with you enough to know your recent funk is mostly mental. Do you feel confident before every shot you hit it? After years of battling my mechanical issues through hours on the range, my biggest improvements were from focusing on the mental aspect. The Bob Rotella books improved my game by 4 - 6 strokes quickly.

As well, no offense but time is working against all of us. Do you do any flexibility or golf related strength exercises?

Maybe try supplementing mechanical practice with these to help break things up.
 Message #89647 - This was a reply to message #89637
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday October 16, 2018 6:28 PM
The erosion of confidence can start with a trickle and turn into an avalanche . . . I seem to be getting buried alive right now.
 Message #89649 - This was a reply to message #89647

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]