Watching your playing partners ball

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday November 10, 2018 5:03 AM
When I started playing golf in the 80's I was taught it was very important to watch your partners ball. I live by that rule. If I am riding, I get out of the cart and stand behind him so I can see the ball. If we walk we are most likely not close, but when he is hitting I stop walking to my ball and watch, no matter if I am in front of him, in back if him, or on the other side of the fairway. I have been playing with the same guys for several years now and we really like to walk, but the last few months are so frustrating because I still do my thing about watching them, but they just are so involved with their own game that they don't watch me. 3 times yesterday alone I hit the ball and said "I didn't see it" and none of them were watching, I cost me penalty strokes, 2 of which I probably deserved but one was bouncing from the adjacent fairway into ours and I could find it and they didn't see it and didn't even help me look for it. I mentioned before the round we have to watch others ball because of the high winds yesterday, well kind of worked off the tee, but then nothing, finally on 17 it happened again and one guy was within 10 yards of me and didn't watch, I finally said something but really don't think it sunk in. How diligent are you watching your partners ball, especially when walking?
 Message #89846
sngernz
RE: Watching your playing partners ball

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Saturday November 10, 2018 7:14 AM
I always try to keep an eye on my playing partners ball ... always. It's just common courtesy and can really help with PoP.

Some peeps just live in their own world, oblivious to what's going on right in front of them ... unfortunately, in life and even on the golf course.
 Message #89847 - This was a reply to message #89846
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Saturday November 10, 2018 9:55 AM
I had cataracts for many years and lost track of the ball after about 150 yards. We joked my wife was my seeing eye golfer. Now that my vision is fixed I make a point of watching every shot and doing my best to help. I still lose my ball sometimes but at least I see a whole lot more than I did. Just repaying the favors!
 Message #89849 - This was a reply to message #89847
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Saturday November 10, 2018 12:19 PM
^^^^^ What he said! LOL I was his seeing eye golfer for so many years that I just got into the habit of watching other's shots. It really speeds up play as well.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #89850 - This was a reply to message #89849
dethman

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday November 10, 2018 1:22 PM
I watch my playing partners' balls, but I do it out of courtesy, not as an obligation.
 Message #89851 - This was a reply to message #89850
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday November 10, 2018 4:55 PM
Watching out for playing partners, in part by watching where their ball goes and helping them find it, is a part of etiquette in my opinion. It also helps the group keep moving.
 Message #89852 - This was a reply to message #89851
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Sunday November 11, 2018 1:35 AM
As a former caddie, I do my best to track other golfers' shots every time out. And, often it is indeed my 'spotting' that helps the players' find and locate their ball. That said, with people in different positions in the fairway, etc., it is impossible to keep track of all shots. The other day, a golfer in my group often played 'out of order' and hit shots whenever he pleased. I gave up keeping track of his shots.

A few weeks ago when playing at La Costa, the guys I played with bombed the ball over 300 yards off the tee. Though I was able to help locate a few balls, my eyesight is no longer that sharp.

Also, I have generally given up on my obligation to keep track of golfers' shots who, simply put, are very erratic with their shots. My brain hurts playing with these people, so you're on your own in this instance.

It is without question each golfer's primary responsibility to keep track of their own d%mn golf balls. Sorry if you hit it astray. Learn to hit it in the fairway more often than not, and we'll all be happier.
 Message #89853 - This was a reply to message #89846
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday November 11, 2018 12:44 PM
Always watch other’s ball as common curtesy/etiquette.
Whether I’m walking/riding I would most likely follow where their ball astrayed and help look- on the way.
If I’m walking and I’m way on the other side and may have to back track- ugh.. maybe or maybe not- sorry.
I would stand on either side of someone playing to spot a ball, but I wouldn’t directly behind their through line.
Hope your playing partners become more helpful to you in future.
JVGA
 Message #89854 - This was a reply to message #89846
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Monday November 12, 2018 3:22 PM
QUOTED  How diligent are you watching your partners ball, especially when walking?

At the New Course in St. Andrews, one of my playing companions told his caddie that he should tip me instead because I kept finding his wayward balls. Needless to say that it did not endear him to the caddie who was having a tough day anyway, but the point is a player should watch each ball to keep the pace going for the round and as common courtesy. Nothing worse than hitting and not seeing the ball, only to find out no one else was looking. And it does not matter if I am walking or riding - the fairways are not that wide. I can park my bag and walk over to help look. I know I appreciate the help when my ball is trying to hide!
 Message #89858 - This was a reply to message #89846
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Tuesday November 13, 2018 1:32 PM
Actually Chevelle what you said makes sense but unfortunately because my eyes are so bad and everything seems to blend together I am lousy for watching shots. Much worse for me since I watch but only for a split second then then start walking.

I know it's a bad habit and I have caught myself more often than not paying attention to my own game. The thing is I can normally see my own shot provided it's not into the sun. Other than that everything from the side even with enough contrast I normally can't follow the ball. So rather than watch I don't.

What I do though is help look for the ball provided they point me in the right direction.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #89866 - This was a reply to message #89858

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]