Industry Hills overseeding/experiment
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 30, 2018 10:51 PM
Got this email from IH today. I like the transparency and honesty regarding past efforts:

Each year since we renovated the Ike, Babe and put hybrid Bermuda grass in our fairways, as it gets colder, our Bermuda grass goes dormant. This means the Bermuda stops growing and changes color. In the past we spread Winter Rye grass seeds over the dormant Bermuda, a process referred to as over-seeding, to keep the fairways looking green and lush during the colder months. Unfortunately, as many of you saw this past summer, the Rye grass overtakes the Bermuda grass and inhibits its ability to recover when the weather turns warm. The Hybrid Bermuda we installed is supposed to stay greener longer and come back quicker in the spring, however, the over-seeding has prevented that from happening and our fairways have taken longer and longer each year to recover and this year they didn’t recover in many places.

Therefore, this winter we are experimenting on how to make our course look the best it can throughout the year. So this year we have over-seeded the entire Eisenhower Golf course with Rye grass, but we are trying something different on the Babe Zaharias Course. We have over-seeded the Babe Course with Rye grass everywhere EXCEPT for the fairways. By not spreading Winter Rye grass in the fairways this will eliminate the “competition” between the two types of grass and should allow the Bermuda grass time to grow stronger and provide better turf conditions in the upcoming spring and summer climates.

As our valued customer and avid golfer, we want to explain why you will see a recognizable contrast in the color of the tee boxes and rough areas versus the fairways of the Babe Course this winter season. If this experiment is a success, we will do the same on the Ike course next fall for better fairways throughout the year especially during the warmer times of the year. Our goal is to provide the finest golf experience anywhere in Southern California and we will not stop trying to improve the turf until we find a solution that makes you proud to say you play at the Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms.
 Message #89957
Alex326
RE: Industry Hills overseeding/experiment

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday December 2, 2018 5:47 PM
I agree. I like how they're up front about it being an experiment. This puts it out there to everyone ahead of time what's going on and should cut down on the complaints or having to answer the same question over and over. It also explains why one course may be better than than the other.
 Message #89968 - This was a reply to message #89957
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Sunday December 2, 2018 9:12 PM
QUOTED  Therefore, this winter we are experimenting on how to make our course look the best it can throughout the year. So this year we have over-seeded the entire Eisenhower Golf course with Rye grass, but we are trying something different on the Babe Zaharias Course. We have over-seeded the Babe Course with Rye grass everywhere EXCEPT for the fairways. By not spreading Winter Rye grass in the fairways this will eliminate the “competition” between the two types of grass and should allow the Bermuda grass time to grow stronger and provide better turf conditions in the upcoming spring and summer climates.

Agronomists have known about this competition between rye and Bermuda forever.

I rarely get out to Industry Hills, so I probably won't see it. I think I played here once or twice (Babe Zaharias course). My recollection was many areas in the fairways were thin lies and damp or wet ground. The two most recent reviews here on GK reflect those conditions.

This contrast with the rough and fairway grasses at the Babe course should look really neat during the winter months. In the long run, the fairways will be much stronger for it. The rough could get real penal as well. Hopefully, they will find a way to get this course up to the condition that reflect their high greens fees.

I'd be interested in some current reviews.
 Message #89969 - This was a reply to message #89957
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 2, 2018 9:38 PM
Kevin, you’re right about courses having this method done for many years, but also glad that IH spends an effort to let their patrons know their plans in case it doesn’t work or for its success- cya, maybe? But I also do not play there... back 15-20 some years ago, yes, but I don’t even know what they charge now for greensfee... I’m sure it’s not what I would like it to be.
JVGA
 Message #89971 - This was a reply to message #89969
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Saturday December 15, 2018 10:24 AM
QUOTED  ... I’m sure it’s not what I would like it to be.

You are correct, Noel, paired with the current green fee the Babe without overseed is not a pretty sight. I played it yesterday and we had to go LC&P due to very thin and patchy conditions in the fairways. The jury will be out for some time, until Spring to be precise, to see if the 'experiment' works out or not. In the meantime, the Ike is in pristine shape as it usually is after fall overseed and will be that way until late Spring when the winter Rye fades. All in all, it could be a rough summer on the Hill ... time will tell.

Not much more to add other than they have re-sodded several areas that probably turned completely bare, and most 'collection areas' are thin where you need to get ball first or you're hitting a fat cat. Would be nice if they cleaned the out rocks of the bunkers. And those cart paths ... need a kidney belt on those babies, especially when it's CPO and you have no choice.

[[Edited by sngernz on Saturday December 15, 2018 2:20 PM]]
 Message #90045 - This was a reply to message #89971

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]