Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Good-bye Mile Square 'Players' Course?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Good-bye Mile Square 'Players' Course?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
leef2020
Good-bye Mile Square 'Players' Course?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 8, 2019 1:33 PM
Received an e-mail message from the SCGA regarding an upcoming meeting regarding the future of 80+ acres of golf course to be 're-purposed' and a lease change to the management company (MSGC) for the Mile Square Golf Courses (not including David L Baker).

Interesting read, but in short, it appears that they are in arrears $3.6M on lease payments discovered in an audit a few years ago, from the renegotiated deal struck in 1999 that added the newer Player's course. Also, the lease fees that they are required to pay currently are significantly higher than other OC Parks leases. Guess this helps explain their high current fee structure. The new deal, if adopted would return the Player's course acreage (not clear exactly which holes would go/remain - some old 'Classic' holes were adapted to the new 'Players' course).

http://www.scga.org/pdfs/Mile%20Square%20Golf%20Course%20Lease%20Agreem ent.pdf

Ironically, I was last week trying to remember the old Classic Course layout circa the early 1990's. May get to see some form of it. Would sadly, would be a loss to the OC golf choices, assuming it goes through as outlined.

There will be a meeting for those interested in attending:

MEETING DETAILS:
Wednesday, Jan. 16
6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

Mile Square Regional Park - Freedom Hall (parking fee waived)
16801 Euclid Avenue
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
 Message #90233
sparky14
RE: Good-bye Mile Square 'Players' Course?

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday January 8, 2019 4:22 PM
Boo! After losing El Toro (with the "promise" of 45 holes to replace it that isn't going to happen) we do not need to lose another reasonable OC golf course. And I think these are two of the best affordable courses in the region.

I wouldn't bet on the Player's course being the obvious closure. They'll take whatever land they want for other park facilities, and I'd think for ease of public access that might be the Classic course.
 Message #90238 - This was a reply to message #90233
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Tuesday January 8, 2019 9:53 PM
QUOTED  I wouldn't bet on the Player's course being the obvious closure. They'll take whatever land they want for other park facilities, and I'd think for ease of public access that might be the Classic course.

If you look a few pages in to the link I provided, they do show a map that highlights the area that will remain as 18 holes of golf v. the 85 acres to be given back to the county. The area that will remain as a golf course, does indeed fall in line with the original 18 holes, now known as the 'Classic' course. Certainly, they made some changes to the original 18 when they put in the Players course, so it is TBD to see what they do with certain holes to become the new 18 in a few years. It does appear that the process will take about 2 more years, meaning that Players will remain open until the end of 2020, if I read the detailed report/contract correctly.
 Message #90240 - This was a reply to message #90238
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday January 9, 2019 3:19 PM
That's sad. I like Players much more than Classic.
 Message #90247 - This was a reply to message #90240

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]