sdscratchorbust
Wool Socks - Gamechanger

Favorite Golfer:
    Pat Perez
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 26, 2019 7:03 AM
For those who play in the desert heat the proper gear makes all the difference.

I've been trying to find the best socks to wear while golfing in the summer with little success. I've tried workman socks, golf specific socks, synthetic running socks etc. All wore out, offered little cushion, got sweaty etc.

I had heard wool is the best, but I always associated wool with being warm. Not what you want for the heat. I did some research and was informed otherwise.

My current socks were worn through and I went on amazon and bought some Merino Wool socks (Actually far cheaper than athletic socks) I played my first round yesterday in them in 100 degree heat. ABSOLUTE GAMECHANGER!!!!!!!!

Normally my feet hurt, my socks get soaked, my feet would be prune, and the socks would absolutely stink up my car.
I didn't even think about my feet for a second last round. My feet were bone dry, the cushioning in the socks made it felt like I was walking on clouds.

Best of all the socks weren't even wet afterwards and have zero smell.

I'm actually going to swap all of my socks, even my everyday socks, to Merino Wool it was that much of a gamechanger.

If you walk a lot or have the issues I have. Try Merino Wool socks.
 Message #91176
noeldaof
RE: Wool Socks - Gamechanger
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 26, 2019 9:05 AM
QUOTED  I'm actually going to swap all of my socks, even my everyday socks, to Merino Wool it was that much of a gamechanger.

I couldn't agree with you more. Merino wool socks are the best! I have discovered for myself and been wearing merino wool socks for golf specifically for about 5-6 years now. FootJoy had them in noshow, low cut and crew. I had enough supply then but are now in dwindling supply since they stopped production. I have three new pairs left of the noshow. I found other brands and they are good, too, but the way FootJoy had them were amazing.

Merino wool or the word "wool" deters people from using it during summer months because wool is usually or associated with cold weather, but it's totally great for both weather. Merino wool socks are NOT just for winter wear. Otherwise, they wouldn't create a noshow or low cut socks.
JVGA
 Message #91177 - This was a reply to message #91176
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday April 26, 2019 9:26 AM
Interesting, I've never considered wool socks as I hate hot feet. I'll have to give them a shot.

Your claims are pretty outlandish though. Next time you play, call me, I'd like to come smell your socks just to see if you are telling the truth.
 Message #91178 - This was a reply to message #91176
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    Pat Perez
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Friday April 26, 2019 10:14 AM
I'm not sponsored by merino wool. There's no link in my page to sell them.

In case you all couldn't tell I'm a little neurotic and love researching stuff late night. Then experimenting with it. Looking into it:

Apparently wool can hold like 3 times the water as cotton, so while the wool may be water logged it feels dry to the touch. Wool is a much finer thread so therefore more surface area for evaporation cooling. Because the wool stores more water it acts like air conditioning for your feet. The water cools a layer of air between your feet and the sock. So there's a micro climate around your foot. That's what keeps your feet cool.

Getting more scientific apparently wool wicks better than synthetics because it can wick water but also water in vapor form. While synthetics can only wick actual water.

Apparently wool is naturally antimicrobial also since it never gets damp and dries to quickly bacteria never has an environment to grow. AKA stinky feet.

And sorry sparky14 but you will have to pay extra to smell my stinky feet.

(I just practiced for 3 hours in 80s and my feet feel like I sat on the couch all day)
 Message #91179 - This was a reply to message #91178
hammer74

Favorite Golfer:
    couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble, Pelican

Friday April 26, 2019 1:59 PM
very interesting.

When my son finishes a round and takes off his shoes in the car, you can feel the change in atmospheric pressure right away..

I better try these and hope they work.

Thank you for the information. This could be a life saver!!
 Message #91181 - This was a reply to message #91176
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday April 26, 2019 2:21 PM
QUOTED  When my son finishes a round and takes off his shoes in the car, you can feel the change in atmospheric pressure right away..

LOL

He won't want to wear any other. (you've been warned)
JVGA
 Message #91182 - This was a reply to message #91181
ocgolfer19

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday April 26, 2019 2:27 PM
I had heard about wool golf socks and thought it was marketing hype. I thought wool socks would make my feet hot and sweaty. Found a deal, so decided to try them myself. I was very surprised at how well they work. Like the OP, with regular socks I would notice the discomfort as the round went on. Not with the wool socks.

I recently started playing ice hockey again. Always had issues with wet socks by the end of the game. Bought a pair of long wool socks to try, the type with compression on the top/calf part and wool on the foot. They are awesome. Will use them for golf when it's cold/pants weather - the compression part is an added bonus.

Give them a try, you won't be sorry.
 Message #91183 - This was a reply to message #91181
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Friday April 26, 2019 2:44 PM
I thought this was going to be some kind of joke post. Now I want to try wool socks. I am a barefoot type of guy due to the stinky feet factor so, this should be interesting.
 Message #91185 - This was a reply to message #91183
hammer74

Favorite Golfer:
    couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble, Pelican

Friday April 26, 2019 3:00 PM
QUOTED  He won't want to wear any other. (you've been warned)

I would gladly buy him more if my car won't stink anymore.
 Message #91186 - This was a reply to message #91182
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday April 26, 2019 4:09 PM
QUOTED  I would gladly buy him more if my car won't stink anymore.

do a true test, buy two pairs of brand new shoes for your son, and buy some new pairs of merino wool socks.
Have him use those wool socks for golf only and alternate the shoes for each rounds with fresh clean socks.
At the end of 3 months with this routine, you're the judge.
JVGA
 Message #91188 - This was a reply to message #91186

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]