sdscratchorbust
Chipping Green Etiquette

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 15, 2019 10:18 AM
What are your thoughts on chipping green etiquette?

For example: I bring a shag bag of old prov1s etc I've pulled out of circulation. I like to do pitching games. Select a hole then hit maybe 20 shots. Measure the spread. Try to see how many I can 1 putt etc.

However, there is always johnny cargo shorts who drops a bucket of range balls and just starts chipping balls all over the place at every hole. Even chipping balls into my spread and the one hole I have targeted. Banging my balls all around and ruining my drill. Then walks off and never picks them up.

My mom taught me to share and the green is open use. I also don't want to get in a fist fight on a chipping green but I feel like its extremely rude and unnecessary. What are your guys thoughts? Experiences?
 Message #92717
brentdanna
RE: Chipping Green Etiquette

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 15, 2019 10:20 AM
that guy you speak of is a dip sh**..... Share
 Message #92718 - This was a reply to message #92717
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Friday November 15, 2019 11:30 AM
My rule of thumb is that if it is a person who obviously is hitting dozens of balls to a target and really practicing, stay away from their area. In general I agree that courtesy dictates that you stay away from holes others are chipping to. Especially true if everyone is not using community range balls.

However, if it is a person who appears to be just killing a few minutes before they tee off and are just hitting a few chips to get a feel? I see no reason to let them take up 1/2 the green for themselves if they are pretty obviously not even going to go get the balls after they hit them. So judgment call.

I had to chuckle when I read your post, it brought back a chipping green memory Here was my GK Cherry Hills review from over a decade ago....

Went out with a friend who lives locally and his dad. Course condition was substandard in almost every area, we quit after 7 holes. Had a member come up to me on the putting/chipping green and explain that "this green is for members only"......You have got to be kidding me. I guess my first thought was that I can't believe anyone would pay to be a member here.....Not worth even a discounted green fee.

Over a decade later, that course experience is still among probably the worst dozen out of the thousands of rounds I have played in 45+ years of golfing.
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92721 - This was a reply to message #92718
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 15, 2019 12:09 PM
Just as soon as I read "RE: Chipping Green Etiquette" I immediately had a feeling about the story was what I thought it was. Sorry to hear you ran in to that guy.

Most everyone know to share.
JVGA
 Message #92722 - This was a reply to message #92717
Mrkich

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Friday November 15, 2019 3:50 PM
I try not to putt on the chipping greens if there are other people around, mostly because I don't want to get hit by an errant/thinned shot, been guilty of hitting those more than a few times. The course near me has a chipping area that is generally cut to fairway length so putting is never really an option anyways.

I was out there a few weeks ago and a guy dropped a few balls and started taking full practice swings with a hybrid in the general direction of another player. I had my headphones in so I couldn't hear the argument but there was considerable yelling coming from the gentleman that was having swings taken in his direction. He ended up storming off. After he left I asked the guy with the hybrid what happened. He told me the balls he dropped are super light foam that travel about 15-20 yards if he swings as hard as he can. told him is still wasn't a great idea.
 Message #92723 - This was a reply to message #92717
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Saturday November 16, 2019 1:38 PM
Chip fewer balls. Adjust each shot to be as perfect so your practice is perfect.

Notwithstanding that chucklehead...sorry you had to deal with that mischief. Sucks. Unfortunately if you were to come to blows and subsequently arrested for assault telling your other golfing buddies you were fighting over a practice green would get you no sympathy.

Life is short. Don't stress be satisfied that lot won't be long for this earth LOL.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #92724 - This was a reply to message #92723
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Sunday November 17, 2019 10:49 AM
I look at the practice chipping green as first come, first serve. They are entitled to the area that they chose to practice and this should be respected. To me, I'll come back later or just wait my turn until there's a clear area for me and my 'tube' of balls ... just practice some short ones off to the side while waiting works for me.

You will get the people that don't care and just start flinging balls everywhere but like Ring said, life's too short to let that get to you. And a fist fight? Really? Not really much you can say as you cannot be a coach to the clueless.
 Message #92729 - This was a reply to message #92724
FirstFlightFX-101

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Arrowhead Country Club

Monday November 18, 2019 11:59 PM
Putting and chipping greens, the range, or on the course...etiquette around any part of this game is important. My hat is off to the many who 'spoke up' over the years, for the sake of this game, and their own sanity. I'm talking about when I was the noob, I was the clueless, the ignorant or the offender. Those that spoke up and corrected my offenses and sins to the game, did me a favor. In turn, over time, all those around me benefit, instead of suffer.
The many course marshalls and individuals who said something over the years, were full spectrum in their approach style...from aggressive/gruff to gentleman/mentor. While all styles of approach work, the gentleman's end of the spectrum was way more effective. Thumbs up
 Message #92732 - This was a reply to message #92717
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill

Tuesday November 19, 2019 9:02 AM
Very well put. But my experiences these days are with total attitude and don't want to hear it.It's mostly from the younger crowd.So for the most part if I'm feeling a good vibe from the stranger new to the game, I offer some etiquette tips.But just a few because you can really hound a new guy.
 Message #92733 - This was a reply to message #92732
shadymg

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rec Park 18

Friday November 22, 2019 8:53 PM
I didn't grow up to golf, but I would not assume if I'm focused on a particular chipping green hole that it would give me exclusive rights to it. In my mind, it's no different than if I was shooting around on a hoop (yes, i grew up playing bball not golf lol) and someone comes up and starts shooting there. Totally normal, no need to even ask. I don't own that hoop.

So I transfer the same thought to your scenario. Does it suck for you trying to practice exactly what you want? Yes. But....oh well. You don't own it, and I'm guessing you're in socal where there are just so many golfers and we all are trying to get our time in--some of us without all the time in the world. Some courses offer exclusive/private chipping greens for coaches, so maybe find those and pay a coach on the side? Or go to the practice area at super off times when nobody is there?
 Message #92776 - This was a reply to message #92733

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]