Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Bandon Sheep Ranch Opening June 1, 2020!
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Bandon Sheep Ranch Opening June 1, 2020!

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
sixpez
Bandon Sheep Ranch Opening June 1, 2020!
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday November 23, 2019 7:34 PM
Excited to hear that Bandon Dunes announced its official opening date for the new and improved Sheep Ranch course. It is planned to open June 1, 2020.

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/golf-courses/sheep-ranch

I feel fortunate to have played the ultra-raw 13-green Tom Doak "choose your own adventure" version of the Bally Bandon Sheep Ranch a few years back as literally the only player on the course that day, but am definitely excited to see what they've done with the property to make it a traditional 18-hole layout. I remember hearing originally that Gil Hanse was tabbed to do the new design, which could have been great. However, you can't go wrong with Coore & Crenshaw (especially knowing how spectacular Bandon Trails and Bandon Preserve are)! I look forward to going back up there (hopefully next winter when it's cheaper) and seeing the new layout that I'm sure is vastly different than what was there before.

The Sheep Ranch land featured a lot of stunning ocean views and a similar setting as the other seaside courses there. There was one green complex located out on a bluff that was perhaps the most spectacular spot on any of the Bandon Dunes courses. It's shown in the pictures on that page I linked to. Looking at the new course map they posted, it seems they made that area into a massive double-green complex with two signature par-3s (holes 3 and 16, so you get it on both nines) coming in from both directions. That is brilliant! The "suggested" 18-hole layout I played when I was there had me playing to that green twice from either direction, so it is cool if they kept that same idea!

So, if you are planning a Bandon trip in summer 2020 and beyond, you'll now have 5 championship courses, a must-play par-3 course (anyone who doesn't play Preserve is seriously missing out), a pretty solid practice par-3 course (Shorty's) and even a crazy putting course (The Punchbowl). Don't overlook Bandon Crossings on the other side of town and maybe someday Pacific Gales down in Port Orford (about 30 minutes south). Seems like that one may still be a pipe dream, though.

[[Edited by sixpez on Saturday November 23, 2019 7:39 PM]]
 Message #92784
S_Smith
RE: Bandon Sheep Ranch Opening June 1, 2020!

Favorite Golfer:
    Greg Norman
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Vines / La Purisima

Saturday November 30, 2019 5:10 PM
Our group of seven, still looking for that eighth, is going in October 2020. We're all staying at Chrome Lake. It will be my first time to abandon ever and I'm excited. The guys who have been commented that Sheep Ranch may turn out to be among the very best. We tried to book a reservation there, as we have done with all other courses at Bandon, but reservations are not taken until after the opening. I'm hoping the resort will slot us in, as we booked a second round at Pacific Dunes hoping to swap out for Sheep Ranch. Everyone tells me the whole Bandon experience lives up to the hype. I'm guessing Sheep Ranch will be an instant success.
 Message #92808 - This was a reply to message #92784
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 1, 2019 10:47 AM
Our Cart Policy is purposely narrow to ensure the integrity of the experience for all golfers. Simply stated:

* While Bandon Dunes Golf Resort is a designated "walking only" facility, each of our courses comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and will authorize the use of a powered golf cart to those with a documented permanent disability that impairs their ability to walk. Unfortunately, age, recent or impending surgeries, injuries, or temporary illnesses do not qualify for a golf cart under our policy.

* Visiting ADA qualified golfers are asked to go through our approval process well in advance of the 30-day cancellation policy of their scheduled visit to determine golf cart availability and ascertain confirmation. Should a cart be approved for the visit, and for the safety of our guests due to the topography of our courses, a caddie must be hired to operate the golf cart at all times. Caddies are independent contractors and are paid directly by the guest. We recommend a rate of $100 per bag, per round, for a job well done but the caddie fees should reflect the level of service received. Additionally, each course played will charge a cart fee of $30 which can be paid in the golf shop at check-in before each round.

If a permanent disability impairs your ability to walk and you’re willing to comply with our cart policy, please call 541-347-5795 to start the approval process.
 Message #92811 - This was a reply to message #92784
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday December 1, 2019 1:55 PM
That's a tough policy. Probably weeds out a large portion of those able to afford the rates.
 Message #92812 - This was a reply to message #92811

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]