Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Patrick Reed gets caught cheating twice on one ...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Patrick Reed gets caught cheating twice on one shot

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 17 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
leef2020
Patrick Reed gets caught cheating twice on one shot
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday December 6, 2019 2:33 PM
Watched the HERO Challenge today, and saw live Patrick Reed's antics in a waste bunker. If you didn't see it, basically, he grounded his club twice directly behind the ball (allowed), but then, took two 'practice' backswings, and removed sand that was directly behind his ball each time.

The second swing was at a slightly different angle than the first, and both helped to 'improve his path/access' to the ball. Watching it live, it looked like an infraction, but couldn't be sure. Later in the broadcast, they relayed the rules officials were reviewing it and replayed the infraction a number of times.

In the end, he was assessed a 2 stroke penalty, which he accepted. However, as Azinger, Cook and others commented, the removal of sand clearly improved his lie, etc. It was blatant and in no way could've been 'missed', as Reed was looking straight down at the ball while doing it. As a pro, imho, there is also no way he wouldn't have felt the extra tug from the sand. He claimed after accepting the penalty that he 'did not intend' to improve his lie/path. A weak/unlikely defense, when you see the video. In the end, as the rule official pointed out, 'intent' does not matter in this case.

So much for 'calling a penalty' on oneself - as he did not. He's been accused of cheating in college by his teammates, and was blatantly caught doing so today on TV. Pretty disgusting to try and get away with this, imho. Should be covered on the Golf Channel's Golf Central program throughout the evening.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/patrick-reed-pga-golf-cheating-video-h ero-world
 Message #92893
Rat-Patrol
RE: Patrick Reed gets caught cheating twice on one shot

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday December 6, 2019 3:48 PM
Couldn't happen to a, ahem, ahhhhh, nicer guy.
 Message #92894 - This was a reply to message #92893
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday December 6, 2019 4:20 PM
Just saw a video of him doing the exact same thing in 2015
 Message #92895 - This was a reply to message #92894
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Friday December 6, 2019 4:29 PM
Let me start by stating that I don't have any strong feelings about Reed. He is a really solid player but will probably never be one of my favorites.

I read in detail multiple articles about his college antics. Sounded like a spoiled brat who was both arrogant and immature. It certainly did not help that most of the people who were "sources" did not care for him. Maybe because he beat them, maybe because he was not very likeable or both.

Rules officials made note that in this situtation "intent" was irrelevant, either he improved his lie or he didn't. Ruling was he did, so he was assessed a 2 shot penalty. He accepted the penalty but made clear his "intent" was not to improve his lie. Face saving gesture or sincerely the truth, you make the call.

Is this penalty really any different that other infamous after the fact penalties assessed in majors over the last few years... Tigers drop at the Masters, DJ grounding his club in the sand? A rule was deemed to have been violated during play, rules officials watched it on videotape, showed the player the evidence on tape and assessed what they perceived to be the appropriate penalty.

Is this newsworthy because a "bad boy" was involved? Or would this still be big news if the name that got the penalty was one of the perceived "good guys" like Spieth, Thomas or Fowler?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #92896 - This was a reply to message #92894
mdames

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday December 6, 2019 5:13 PM
I think you may be onto something Nick. It seems that it is far easier to assume bad motives from people that are not so "likeable".
 Message #92897 - This was a reply to message #92896
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday December 6, 2019 5:28 PM
QUOTED  Is this newsworthy because a "bad boy" was involved? Or would this still be big news if the name that got the penalty was one of the perceived "good guys" like Spieth, Thomas or Fowler?

Spot on, Nick. The inherent bias against guys like Reed is not a mystery. But they sure change their tune when he's playing big for the Stars and Stripes in the Ryder Cup. I like Reed. He's no cookie-cutter pro and has an edge to him. I'm a fan.
 Message #92898 - This was a reply to message #92896
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday December 6, 2019 6:35 PM
Maybe Patrick and Sergio should have a televised match . . . must see tv.
 Message #92899 - This was a reply to message #92898
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Friday December 6, 2019 7:10 PM
QUOTED  Is this newsworthy

He was leading the tournament at the time, so yes, very newsworthy.

Did you take a look at the video? He moved enough sand to make a zen garden.
 Message #92900 - This was a reply to message #92896
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday December 6, 2019 9:13 PM
Wow, just saw the video. Can't imagine there's any way he didn't see/feel moving that much sand. Then the clip they showed was him just reciting the rule and saying he accepts the penalty. Uh, yeah, cuz you got caught cheating!
 Message #92901 - This was a reply to message #92900
Andrew1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    PGA West, Nicklaus Tourna

Saturday December 7, 2019 6:12 AM
I just saw the tape of Reed doing his thing. OMG, he made it look so obvious not only once but twice. Is he so dumb that he didn't see the camera behind him filming? In knowing that wouldn't you think he would be more careful ? This guy has been playing golf long enough to know more than just the basic rules of golf. I would like to ask him and other players who don't know the basic rules of golf. What the hell do you guys do during your long flights to your next playing event, time off between events, sit around and count your money, talk golf or B.S. ? Read your rule book, get familiar with the rules. I say that all the Sponsors in equipment and clothing and God knows what you guys get for free should give you guys something you really need. A Rule Book to read !
 Message #92903 - This was a reply to message #92893

Listing 1 to 10 of 17 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]