Baff45
Any Suggestions?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 4, 2020 9:49 PM
Hello my GK friends! I’m looking to get a new set of irons, I was looking to do blades, but I’m really just looking for something that can add more distance so I can take an easier swing. I play Cobra Baffler XLs right now, which I do like but I know blades would help me get a little more distance. I don’t have an issue with my distance but like I said, I’d rather take a slightly easier swing so I’m not as tired at the end of the round. Suggestions on brands/models would be helpful along with any other advice on the matter. Thank you and I hope you’re having a great day!
 Message #93426
Nickesquire
RE: Any Suggestions?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Tuesday February 4, 2020 10:47 PM
The Ping G700's I recently purchased are about a club stronger than the 15 year older Ping irons I had been playing since 2006. I hit the new set lower and a little longer on good contact full swings than my old set.

I have played the new irons for about 40 rounds now and am still dialing in the distance differences. After experimentation, I have finally decided to try and hit them basically the same distance I did my old irons on most "normal" shots. Choking down a hair and swinging not quite as hard, in theory, should lead to more accuracy. And that leaves an extra 8-10 yards available if I want to try and let the shaft out on most clubs.

Biggest challenge is that I had a really good idea what clubs I could hit under or over obstacles from different distances with my old set. Still learning exactly what club will produce the desired results in those situtations in the new set.

You will probably get alot of feedback to get fitted. I would also advise you to check iron loft specs in various sets to make sure you are making an apples to apples comparasion. See the thread "Is a 4 iron really a 4 iron" for my own journey down that path and the suprising results I found with my own clubs.

Good Luck!
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93427 - This was a reply to message #93426
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 5, 2020 9:18 AM
All if not most your query about a new club you'll need can be answered in a short session during a club fitting. It's the most sensible thing to do. Other's experiences will differ from yours- not that it will not work- heck, anything will work up to a point. But a fitting can get you closer to your own best performance. Dynamic fitting and static fitting together is the goal for any golfer- amateur or pro.
JVGA
 Message #93433 - This was a reply to message #93426
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Wednesday February 5, 2020 6:31 PM
Blades won't get you more distance. For an iron head, distance is mainly due to loft. A thin face design could get you a half-club longer. Blades versus "game improvement" irons is all about forgiveness versus workability. Blades are more workable, GIs are more forgiving.

If you are willing to play something that doesn't advertise on golf channel or in the magazines, consider Golfworks.

This is their top clubhead loaded with modern technology. $449 for a set assembled to your specs. They also have a blade version of this head ( I play the blade version).
https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-2-forged-iron-pak/p/pma0294/

This one is a new clubhead due out in a few weeks. More game improvement, but doesn't look too clunky. $199 for an assembled set to your specs.
https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-sti2-iron-pak/p/pma0317/
 Message #93440 - This was a reply to message #93426
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Thursday February 6, 2020 6:05 AM
I agree, blades will most likely not get you more distance. The way I did it was to go to roger dunn santa ana and hit every club there, take a 7 or 8 iron and compare distance, height, accuracy, and feel. You can rule out most clubs that way. I know people will say get fit, I don't like that, they may direct you to clubs they are pushing to sell. I was using 2016 great big bertha, and wanted to change, i knew i wanted graphite. I took 2 months hitting every 8 iron out there, ping, taylormade, callaway, wilson, mizuno, xxio, honma, Cleveland. I then went on line and got ALL the specs, shaft weight, loft, length, ETC. then went back and hit them again. You will find that 1 day you will be swinging and hitting 1 very good, and the next time you will swing another one better. That is something that not considered when getting fit, they only take how you hit that day, I went back for over 2 months and finally narrowed it down to the ones I got. I also noticed that in some sets i hit 8 iron and up really well, but 7 and up struggled on some, don't forget to zero in on the 8 and above irons because that is where scoring comes from. You can always get hybrids for longer irons. You can try used sets, but before you buy take the set to the pro shop and have them measure the lie, that is very important.
 Message #93443 - This was a reply to message #93440

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]