Coto de Caza South Course

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 22, 2017 3:00 PM
I had the opportunity to play Coto de Caza GC (South) for the first time in an SCGA Member Outing on Monday, 3/20/17. These member outings are a good avenue to play some big-name private clubs around SoCal that most GKers wouldn’t have access to. Many thanks to GKer weber, a Coto member, for providing plenty of good info on the course – I felt I was well-prepared for the round. There’s no hole information available on the club’s website.

The course plays down and back up the Coto canyon along Cañada Gobernadora Creek, so there are plenty of large oak trees, creek crossings, and arroyos to deal with, but also to revel in the idyllic peaceful setting.

I’ve included a photo of the view from the Blue tee on hole #16, a short par-3 of 116 yards from this tee. As with many greens on the South Course, the green is very narrow and severely angled to the line of play – here it’s almost perpendicular from this tee box. [Other boxes are more in line with the green’s axis, although from the Black tee (166 yards) the line of play is more direct but over an oak tree!] It’s only a wedge, but that big bunker is staring at you in front of a very shallow target. And then there's the lake! Right of the flag the green goes away from you into a collection area below the big oak tree. Left of the flag the green is flatter, but that’s above the hole (where I was after the tee shot), and it’s a screaming ski-slope ride down toward the hole – I keep thinking of that poor ski jumper from Wide World of Sports!! I barely glided past the hole but wound up with a 10-footer coming back up!

But aside from the challenges of this hole, you can see the lovely setting of the hole (and the entire course) along the creek in this canyon. Creeks and water hazards, large oak trees, trimmed meadows of grass, and a lot of silence and serenity.

[[Edited by dconnally on Wednesday March 22, 2017 3:03 PM]]

[[Edited by dconnally on Wednesday March 22, 2017 3:43 PM]]
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #82907
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Coto de Caza South Course
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday March 22, 2017 3:23 PM
Cool thread. Thanks for the look inside the gates. I've played North a handful of times, but all long ago before South was even built. Did you recall enough of North to have a preference for one course over the other, D-Con? South is supposed to be a little less of a beast and more player-friendly, from what I recall.
 Message #82909 - This was a reply to message #82907
dconnally

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday March 22, 2017 3:30 PM
GKer weber says the South is a little easier - although the setting and design make it a completely different course from North.

I too played North several times, but it was >20 years ago in some fundraisers for my kids' school. Looking at the yardage book for North, I must say that I have almost no memory of most of those holes (plus apparently there have been some design tweaks over the years).

I remember the North greens being larger and more severe than I encountered on the South.
 Message #82910 - This was a reply to message #82909
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday March 22, 2017 8:26 PM
For what it's worth, I've played both courses a couple of times each...although quite some time ago...and prefer the South over the North. Both are challenging in their own way but, based upon my experience, I would tend to agree that the North is a bit more stout in that regard than the South.

I also thought the courses differed yet complemented each other very well, with a variance between the two that crisply defined one vs. the other...similar to comparing The La Quinta Resort's Dunes and Mountain Courses. As such, I believe that feature provides a great option for the members. Personally, I would not want to belong to a 36-hole facility where both courses were mirror images of each other, identical in layout and character.

Seeing this thread brought back some memories, to the point where I delved into the archives and was able to find this photo from 2005: the tee shot on the North's Par-5 opening hole...

Message #82914 - This was a reply to message #82910
dconnally

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday March 28, 2017 8:41 AM
JEFF -

At least they've now cut the vegetation down in front of that tee - you can now SEE how crazy far you need to carry your tee shot to reach safety!!! LOL

[[Edited by dconnally on Tuesday March 28, 2017 9:13 AM]]
 Message #83004 - This was a reply to message #82914
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday March 28, 2017 10:00 AM
QUOTED  At least they've now cut the vegetation down in front of that tee - you can now SEE how crazy far you need to carry your tee shot to reach safety!!!

I'll bet the difference is like night and day Dave. As I recall, all I could focus on were the traps in the distance; used them as my aim point and had no idea where the tee shot ended up until I made my way up the fairway on the other side of the junk. Made for a neat picture though...
 Message #83007 - This was a reply to message #83004

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]