mlslaw
"Can we play through?"

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday March 28, 2017 9:11 AM
Situation: course was fairly full for a Monday morning---4somes to the horizon. Ours had a 3some behind and we were keeping up just fine with no open holes. When we got to 10 the 3 behind us pull up and loudly say "Can we play through?" Our group responded no--that they would not be going anywhere because the holes were full of 4somes ahead and that we were keeping pace.

We played on and these guys continued to press us--not verbally but just making themselves very visible. Was a bit unnerving. We finished the round without issue but I just wondered if it might have been better/wiser to have let them pass so that we would not have been bothered by these impatient guys. Just throwing it out for takes.
 Message #83005
1PLUS1
RE: "Can we play through?"

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday March 28, 2017 7:24 PM
Although in hindsight, I probably would have allowed that group to play through...if not on #10, then almost certainly within a couple of holes once they began bearing down with their presence. Whenever I find myself in a similar situation, I usually wave the group behind through in order to eliminate that discomforting sensation of feeling their breath on the back of my neck. Despite the fact there really was "no particular pace to go" (RIP Chuck Berry), I'd be inclined to let them pass rather than fall victim to their impatience, allowing it to negatively impact my game and enjoyment level.

On the other hand, I'd also have to take into account the amount of traffic further behind and decide if permitting the smaller group to pass through would create even more of an issue. Personally, if a threesome happens to get sandwiched between groups of four by the starter and there is no daylight up ahead, I'd like to see them accept the situation for what it is and display a little more restraint and patience. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday March 28, 2017 7:25 PM]]
 Message #83009 - This was a reply to message #83005
gary00

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

Tuesday March 28, 2017 9:14 PM
I love a good quandary or conundrum more fun than picking the right club into a 2 MPH breeze. The right answer for you is what keeps you more into the enjoyment of your golf experience. My 1st inclination would be to matter of factually point out that the course is full and that we have been waiting just like you. However individuals who are rather too full of themselves probably did not bother to see beyond what is right in front of them. If they exhibit more jerk behavior I would go ahead hit tee shots then say go on through(as much as I hate rewarding bad behavior) that would give time for them to get into position in front of you and not cause undo delay==then just relax and get back to golf with out added drama.
If they had the perception that you were slow-- even when you were not--and were frustrated no need to let that frustration bleed into your group.
These were probably the same guys that on the freeway pull right up on my bumper regardless of fact that I am doing 75/80 in the fast or car pool lane keeping up with the flow but also keeping a safe distance from the cars ahead--so I move over when I can and let the entitled driver climb up some other car's tail pipe.
And from the point of the devil's advocate--I have been the threesome who if being decent golfers with lot of fairways and greens or even just average players we are going to play faster than a 4some which mean we are going to wait more--period. However some times when waiting it becomes easy to notice the little behaviors that become annoying -- dawdling not getting out of the cart one gets out to hit== the cart waits guy gets back in drives 10 yards laterally so the next guy can hit--leaving clubs on the green opposite side from the cart=lollygagging to and from cart--you know we see it all and even if we are in position the perception may be that we are some how not.
Played a course up in Salt Lake couple of years ago--the 2 groups ahead of us would not tee off until the group ahead was on the green--the course was moderately busy but their behavior did not really affect overall POP at about 4 hours but it was annoying to watch.
 Message #83012 - This was a reply to message #83009
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Tuesday March 28, 2017 9:30 PM
The same situation happened to my regular foursome about a year ago at Goose Creek. A 3 some was on our butts so at number 7 we allowed them to play through and then spent the rest of the round waiting for them on every hole. That sort of soured us so we only allow 2 somes or a single to play through.
 Message #83013 - This was a reply to message #83005
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Tuesday March 28, 2017 10:21 PM
Absolutely I do not let them play through. If I did, I'd just be fuming waiting on them when they should be waiting on me. Totally different story if there's somewhere for them to go ahead, but in this case, no way.
 Message #83014 - This was a reply to message #83013
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday March 29, 2017 12:23 AM
QUOTED  If they had the perception that you were slow--even when you were not--and were frustrated, (there's) no need to let that frustration bleed into your group.

I've lost count of how many times in the past couple of years I've had someone in the group behind me fire away at the green when we've literally just put the pin back into the cup, let alone be a safe distance away from the immediate area around the green. I really cannot comprehend the thought process of people who behave that way, thinking they're within their rights to fire a "warning shot" across the bow in an ill-advised attempt to speed up the pace-of-play.

For one thing, that type of action is only going to lead to a contentious confrontation, not to mention the possibility of subjecting someone to injury. And when groups are stacked up against other with no gaps in sight, how is it going to improve the situation? Gary00's analogy of encountering and dealing with freeway tail-gaters is a relevant one. If I'm given any indication that these are the type of people following me around the golf course then I won't hesitate to let them pass, regardless of whether they deserve that courtesy or not.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Wednesday March 29, 2017 12:36 AM]]
 Message #83018 - This was a reply to message #83012
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Nicklaus T Olivas Maderas

Wednesday March 29, 2017 8:39 AM
QUOTED  Absolutely I do not let them play through. If I did, I'd just be fuming waiting on them when they should be waiting on me. Totally different story if there's somewhere for them to go ahead, but in this case, no way.

Agree 100% with Mark's analysis and mindset.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #83023 - This was a reply to message #83014
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Wednesday March 29, 2017 9:03 AM
Great post. We can all relate to this nowhere to go situation.

Were there groups behind the 3? If yes, then absolutely I would have said no as changing places accomplishes nada. If behind the threesome was empty then we would have said yes, because we enjoy being behind the pack when there is no one behind us. We usually use the extra time for some practice shots or some gambling games etc all while being able to keep pace. (as long as no groups behind catch up of course)

The annoyance with being pushed and the freeway analogy made me think that those were the type of guys who have the car in front intentionally slow just enough to return the favor of being annoyed.

[[Edited by cencalhack on Wednesday March 29, 2017 9:06 AM]]
 Message #83028 - This was a reply to message #83005
Enyalius

Favorite Golfer:
    Ray Floyd - Craig Stadler
Favorite Golf Course:
    500 Club

Monday April 3, 2017 1:00 PM
I've waved up groups only to be waiting on that same group later.

Even so, I think you are always better off to wave up a faster playing group (2some or 3 some vs 4 some) whenever possible.
 Message #83144 - This was a reply to message #83005
Buckeye_Nut

Favorite Golfer:
    Carl Spackler
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing today

Friday June 9, 2017 5:28 PM
Providing I was playing in a group that was keeping up with the group we were following............the answer would be a resounding NO! Where do they think they will go? There are groups ahead..and we are following??

I would spell it out in plain english in polite manner that in no uncertain terms would we let them play through....If they don't like it, I'll introduce them to my big Samoan golf partner Chris....he's a regular and a good stick too..... 2-4hc. he is a mountain of a man, and I will stand behind him if this chump wants to start a fight!! hahahahah

We had an incident once with a group hitting into us walking off geen's and raining down golf balls before we were clear. Chis is laid back, but I was at wits end. We confronted them as politely as possible....I did it in a way not to be toooooo confronting, but it was confrontational....I say hey...wait the "FK-up" and don't hit until we are clear you stupid SOBs.!!!.......OK, maybe it wasn't quite that blunt, but they got the message. I am pretty sure they didn't care about me....but Chris is a mountain of a man.....they don't want to piss him off..LOL
 Message #84110 - This was a reply to message #83144

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]