YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Desert Island CC has a new name

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
sixpez
Desert Island CC has a new name
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 10, 2017 7:30 PM
I drive by Desert Island CC in Rancho Mirage all the time now. Just today I noticed a banner up over the normal sign showing its new name: The Sinatra Resort & Country Club. It appears it is under new ownership and they are planning a 5-start resort/hotel development to go along with the golf club that will likely stay untouched. Still going to be a private equity club for members, but likely with stay and play options for hotel guests. In recent years, it has been a little easier to get on out here as a public player, but who knows if that will change moving forward.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is interested.

Here is an article that talks about some of the new plans:

http://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/golf/2017/05/05/sinatra-resort-owner-says-his-country-club-isnt-named-after-singer-just-his-street/311645001/

And here is a link to the resort's new site:

http://sinatraresort.com
 Message #83660
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Desert Island CC has a new name
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday May 10, 2017 10:09 PM
Even though "Desert Island" sort of gets lost in all the "Desert This" or "Desert That" course names in the Valley, I always found that name sort of charming. Sinatra is undoubtedly more distinctive, though.

Despite the owner's insistence the name is referring to the street, how long until the Sinatra family heirs file a lawsuit?

QUOTED  In recent years, it has been a little easier to get on out here as a public player, but who knows if that will change moving forward.

The guy who was trying to sell his Desert Island vouchers on GK alluded to changes coming, claiming that it will become more difficult to access.
 Message #83661 - This was a reply to message #83660
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

Friday January 12, 2018 5:27 PM
Pretty sure Mark called it with the lawsuit because I noticed the temporary "Sinatra Club" signage didn't stay up too long after the original name change last year. I wondered for awhile if they just went back to Desert Island. Now, there is a new banner up on the corner that says "The S at Rancho Mirage." Apparently, this is the new dumb name, derived from the obviously failed/controversial/possibly litigious Sinatra name.

Interesting, but also not that interesting. Just thought I'd share in case anyone starts seeing listings for The S and thinks it's a new course.

On that note, I don't know yet if this version of the course plans to be fully private or semi-private. I know they allowed a lot more public access last year, but we'll see what happens next. The new website still refers to it as a private club.
 Message #86743 - This was a reply to message #83660
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines

Sunday January 14, 2018 7:42 AM
I just noticed that the SCGA is doing their first event of the One-Day Series there this year ($100) so easy chance for the public to play at a decent price.
 Message #86753 - This was a reply to message #86743
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Sunday January 14, 2018 9:23 AM
QUOTED  I just noticed that the SCGA is doing their first event of the One-Day Series there this year ($100) so easy chance for the public to play at a decent price.

Would have to disagree on the decent price part Sal. Here were my thoughts after playing 36 holes there 6 months ago when my GK rating averaged 3.75 for playing conditions:

Fairly tight with a decent amount of water coming into play. A few really tough and good holes and a bunch of mediocre ones. The course footprint is a rectangle bordered on all 4 sides by busy streets blocked by trees and high walls. This results in roughly 1/3 of the holes playing right beside the property line, bringing OB prominently into play. The layout did about evenly split the holes that ran along the property line so that some had OB right and some OB left. Nothing remarkable about the layout, it was okay. However, the conditions were less than okay. I realize it is mid June and there have been a string of hot days, but... Many of the tees were shaggy. Obviously had not been recently mowed. Decent coverage and reasonably level. The fairways were mostly okay to play from, but every single one had numerous areas that were burned and browned out due to the heat/lack of watering to a specific area. Same for the rough. The sand traps were below average. Not well maintained and inconsistent from trap to trap. The greens putted medium slow and were somewhat bumpy. Not many ball marks, they did hold irons well. Several greens had areas that had not been adequately watered recently and looked dead or dying. The customer service was very good, complementary range balls was a +. However, they close up the place around 1 pm in the summer. We played on a special that was slightly over $1 a hole. Under current conditions, that is about the maximum I would pay to play here. Not recommended at this time.

IMO, even if the playing conditions were twice as good as I experienced, $100 is an extreme price for this layout considering the alternatives available near by for less than $100.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #86755 - This was a reply to message #86753
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

Sunday January 14, 2018 10:53 AM
Nick, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that conditions in mid-January will be a little nicer than late June. Just a crazy gut feeling! : )

The only time I played the course was in an SCGA one-day tourney and it was in really, really nice shape then. That was several years ago when it was fully private and tougher to access. I don't know if I'd pay that much to play it again because like Nick said the layout is good but not overly great (kind of a traditional Coachella Valley design with a few standout holes). However, not much is cheap in the desert this time of year so the price is about what I'd expect for a mid-level private club in peak season.

I know last year was very "transitional" under the new ownership, silly name changes and decisions on whether they wanted to go public or stay private. I don't know how things are going there now. I just noted the latest name change. From what I can see driving by, though, the course looks to be in pretty nice shape.
 Message #86756 - This was a reply to message #86755
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines

Sunday January 14, 2018 11:01 AM
Good to know Nick, thanks! You saved me a trip to visit the course. The price was never really an issue for me (call me lucky) but it really is good to read how someone I have played with sees this course.
 Message #86757 - This was a reply to message #86755
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday January 14, 2018 12:08 PM
QUOTED  ...I noticed the temporary "Sinatra Club" signage didn't stay up too long after the original name change last year. Now, there is a new banner on the corner that says "The S at Rancho Mirage". Apparently, this is the new dumb name...

May not be so dumb after all Keith. Based upon Mark's assessment of the golf course, the 'S' may in fact be an abbreviation for the same term Trump used in his recent immigration remark.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Sunday January 14, 2018 12:18 PM]]
 Message #86758 - This was a reply to message #86743
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Sunday January 14, 2018 4:44 PM
QUOTED  Nick, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that conditions in mid-January will be a little nicer than late June. Just a crazy gut feeling! : )

No doubt Keith. In the low season when I paid about $20 per round, I was questioning the value @ that price.

In high season, I am sure driving by that it is currently in substantially better condition than I experienced... However, the layout still would not justify $100 when I could currently play a PGA West or La Quinta course twilight cheaper.

QUOTED  Good to know Nick, thanks! You saved me a trip to visit the course. The price was never really an issue for me (call me lucky) but it really is good to read how someone I have played with sees this course.

Sal, the Sycuan course you played yesterday is definitely a superior course to the S as a basis of comparison.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #86760 - This was a reply to message #86758

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]