conndcje
Taking Care of the Golf Course

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    St. Andrews

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday June 3, 2017 3:04 PM
Ballmarks on the green. Unraked traps. Divots in the fairway.

We see comments on this site all the time, from many, many members in their course reviews, about these issues. As a community, we are probably some of the most ‘aware’ users of the golf course about the effect these issues have on playability, and for advocating for a more active appreciation for the need to prevent and remedy these items.

So it pains me to see GK members who are contributing to these problems on the course.

I’ve played some recent rounds with other GK members where I was left shaking my head. Ballmarks unfixed. Traps ‘smoothed’ with their golf shoes, not raked, even though they laid their putter down ON THE RAKE. Divots not filled. Hey, that’s why they put sand bottles on the carts. And you can even get refills, if you really get enthusiastic!

How do you convey your concerns to others who are members of your own golfing community? Let it go? Gentle hints and reminders? Pointed comments? Barbs – whether good-natured or pointed?

Or just let comments on this site (hopefully) do the work?

Come on, folks – get with the program on keeping the course as playable as possible!

And pass it on!
 Message #83976
SBogey
RE: Taking Care of the Golf Course

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Saturday June 3, 2017 4:27 PM
I have always tried to lead by example. I fix multiple ball marks. Rake the bunker and fill divots. I will even go over and fill others if they don't and make sure they see me do it. You never know if it will help but we have to try! An occasional barb doesn't hurt either if you are with friends!
 Message #83977 - This was a reply to message #83976
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Saturday June 3, 2017 4:39 PM
I say OUT THEM! We can point our virtual internet fingers at them and laugh, call them names, issue threats...there's no room for bad etiquette here!

Or casually and politely mention the issues the next time you play with that member(s). Yeah, that's probably the better way to go. Then again, pointing fingers and laughing is pretty fun...
 Message #83978 - This was a reply to message #83976
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Saturday June 3, 2017 5:46 PM
I feel bad because during the Goose Creek GK Review Guru outing a couple weeks ago, I skulled a shot out of the greenside bunker on No. 1. It went deep over the green and appeared to go OB, so I had to go fetch another ball from my bag. When I got over by my cart, however, I realized it wasn't OB but lateral. So I then dropped over there and totally forgot to go back to the bunker and rake it. I hadn't raked it initially because I thought I was going to have to hit again from the same spot. Finally many holes later it dawned on me that I never raked that bunker. I recall the sand being quite firm in there, so hopefully I didn't leave it in too bad of shape. Still feel stupid, though.
 Message #83980 - This was a reply to message #83978
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday June 3, 2017 6:12 PM
. . . back in 1975 when I was working at Singing Hills GC . . .

Is this a confessional? Oh yeah, I'm not Catholic, as you were.
 Message #83981 - This was a reply to message #83980
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Saturday June 3, 2017 6:12 PM
I agree with Steve to try and lead by example. I wouldn't get up in anyone's face, but it's okay to point out (especially in the company of other GK'ers) that they should clean up after themselves.

No matter who I am playing with, if I am riding with someone who doesn't fill divots, I will get out and fill it for them or hand them the bottle like I'm helping them out. Not being confrontational, but just helpful to a fellow golfer. Seems like they eventually get the hint. Funny thing is I rarely take divots myself. I usually won't go so far as to rake a bunker for someone else, so that's a harder one to point out. Otherwise, fix up their ball marks on greens (and make sure they see you) like you are doing them a favor and hopefully it rubs off.

Kill 'em with kindness, and if that doesn't work, say something if it is a persistent problem. GK'ers should know better!
 Message #83982 - This was a reply to message #83980
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Saturday June 3, 2017 8:05 PM
QUOTED  I’ve played some recent rounds with other GK members where I was left shaking my head. Ballmarks unfixed. Traps ‘smoothed’ with their golf shoes, not raked, even though they laid their putter down ON THE RAKE. Divots not filled. Hey, that’s why they put sand bottles on the carts. And you can even get refills, if you really get enthusiastic!

As a community here on GK our foundation is helping each other enjoy our golf experiences. Helping keep our golf courses beautiful is part of that. Its a culture on GK I'm very confident we've been able to establish. I can assure you that what you have witness is a very rare occurrence and not the norm. I've played with well over 100's of GK members and not only have I never witnessed what you stated but have more often seen the majority of the time GK members show extra TLC toward a golf course.

To help answer your question:

QUOTED  How do you convey your concerns to others who are members of your own golfing community? Let it go? Gentle hints and reminders? Pointed comments? Barbs – whether good-natured or pointed?

The same way I address any golfer I see not practicing proper golf course maintenance in my group ... I will do it for them and then tell them when I've finished that they forgot to and I would appreciate it if they remembered to next time.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Saturday June 3, 2017 8:17 PM]]
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #83983 - This was a reply to message #83976
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Monday June 5, 2017 8:56 AM
I absolutely do not mind if someone speaks up if I have been neglectful. Although I make a concerted effort to always maintain the course, there are times when my mind is elsewhere. Trying to maintain pace, thinking about the next shot, or unfortunately recent off the course issues with loved ones health. So absolutely speak up with a gentle reminder when I or others fail to fix our damage.
 Message #84022 - This was a reply to message #83976
faxgolf89

Favorite Golfer:
    rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    still looking

Monday June 5, 2017 11:08 AM
As much as I can, I walk and carry. Should I carry a divot mix bottle with me to fill in divots on fairways? I've seen one person do this in all my playing years.
 Message #84024 - This was a reply to message #84022
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday June 5, 2017 11:13 AM
Are you that person?
Remember, we could be at work!!