24hourgolf
Alondra Mgmt Change Situation

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 7, 2017 5:29 PM
Found out today, that the group who operates Los Amigos and Santa Anita, have won the rights to operate Alondra. But, the current management group has gone to court to fight the awarding by the County of LA operating rights to the new group.

Having played Alondra in the past, I would be in favor of the new group taking over.
 Message #84633
sngernz
RE: Alondra Mgmt Change Situation

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 7, 2017 7:17 PM
There's absolutely nothing that could be done to make Alondra a decent golf course ... a few dozen bulldozers would be a start.
 Message #84638 - This was a reply to message #84633
criley_4way

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday July 7, 2017 10:28 PM
Agreed that Alondra will never be a top notch track but it certainly could be better. They have a nice range, good practice greens and a great solid short game area.

If they thached the course regularly, improved the drainage and maybe added some contours to the fairways. It would be a respectable muni and a good place to practice.
 Message #84640 - This was a reply to message #84638
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Sunday July 9, 2017 8:00 AM
I compare Alondra to another South Bay non-playable course, Victoria. Both were laid out on soil which just doesn't work well for growing even Kikuyu grass: Alondra is mostly adobe and Victoria was built over a landfill. Unless they can come in and lay a few tons of topsoil and redesign aka. Mile Sq/Players, it has no chance. That's why all the green compounds are elevated 2-3 feet ... the Poa would never grow on the existing surface.

Of course, I'm neither a Horticulturist and a Landscape Architect so this is just a layman's opinion.
 Message #84652 - This was a reply to message #84640
leedabord

Favorite Golfer:
    Payne Stewart
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes, CA

Wednesday September 20, 2017 10:55 PM
I agree with criley_4way ... Alondra could be a fun place to practice. I'm glad to see a management change. I'm pretty sure the old management was cooking the books, since they only dealt in Cash.
 Message #85675 - This was a reply to message #84633
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday September 21, 2017 10:38 AM
I've had three major milestones accomplished at Alondra (Hole in one, first time breaking 90, first time breaking 80) so it will always hold a soft spot in my golfing heart. I used to play it a lot more when I first started playing this crazy game years ago, but of course it's rare now because there are just many other quality courses to visit instead. That being said, I have on occasion found Alondra in nice shape and it's been a fun track to play when under those conditions. Does it happen often enough? Not hardly, but if this group can fix it up the way Los Amigos was for various times in the past 3-4 years, then it's worth the shot. It will always be a 'straight ahead' golf course, but it has enough length to cause concerns if not hitting the ball well. Either way, any improved conditions here will be a blessing and I'll look forward to playing it again.
 Message #85677 - This was a reply to message #84633
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Thursday September 21, 2017 7:23 PM
I know everyone has an opinion here but let me chime in my thoughts and see what you think after you get the insight of a local.

1. There was a time when the Superintendent had the greens perfect. So essentially it comes down to having the right personnel to bring the course back to where it should be. Not to knock the current super I just think in order to bring the greens to a place folks would perk up and pay attention requires a certain skill set that the current Super doesn't have.

2. This is literally not a dump. Unlike Victoria that sits on a covered trash pit, Alondra does not. Not withstanding the clay soil a good Super would know what to do to get the grass to grow properly. There is no methane percolating through the soil burning roots. I have played the course when it was a huge parking lot of thin/tight lies -- like recently. And I have played the course when the fairways were half-way decent. It just comes down to whether or not they can find a super strong enough to get management behind him and get stuff done.

3. From my personal opinion WHAT THE HELL DID they spend when they redesigned ONLY 9 HOLES? I mean, Los Amigos HAD drainage ditches that ran all over the place. Their redesign made those ditches disappear. Now you get Alondra and their management they have the money to do 18 holes but somehow run out of money doing only 9 holes? If that isn't a WTF moment I don't know what is. And on top of it we pay a surcharge for every tee time we play to help pay to fix the remaining 9 holes.

The course is not a pig. It doesn't need lipstick. It's a frumpy girl that needs a good make-over from someone that knows what the devil they're doing. Literally there are only a handful of golf courses in the South Bay, and this is perhaps the second most densely populated area. I mean in the South Bay you can't build something without knocking something else down first. This means we have the golfers. But like most of us we take our business to Long Beach or further East. You could literally capitalize on the proximity to Manhattan and Redondo beaches and their deep pockets. Yet this course is empty and walk on is easy on the weekends.

It's not the course guys.

Now what I heard is yes the guys who run both Santa Anita and Los Amigos won the bid but the current lessor is having his quote re-evaluated. We won't know the final decision until November/October this year.

Either way if someone who can make a decision is reading this then whoever gets the bid has a lot to answer and ... dare I say follow through?
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #85682 - This was a reply to message #85677
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 22, 2017 9:32 AM
QUOTED  Now what I heard is yes the guys who run both Santa Anita and Los Amigos won the bid but the current lessor is having his quote re-evaluated. We won't know the final decision until November/October this year.

They are not re evaluating? He took the County of LA to court. And in the end he will lose. But it will still be a pig, unless they make major improvements?

And to your point about the area? Yes you are in a densely populated area and if proper improvements are made the old saying of "if you build it, they will come" will no doubt prove correct.

I also, believe (IMO) that the should put some $$$ into the Par 3. Maybe not as much as in Downey (what was that $42 M?) but certainly make improvements for the future golfers who want to learn the game? It certainly has that potential?
 Message #85689 - This was a reply to message #85682
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday September 23, 2017 11:13 PM
I know I have played Alondra, must have been 30 plus years ago so I don't know the course. I do know Los Amigos and I love that layout. they have put money into it, but truth be told it was last winters storms that made the course better by eliminating a few old growth trees, and forcing the course to significantly cut back a number of others to protect them, and in turn opening up the course. The parking is lousy, and I have met some of the more rude golfers there, but the course is good. If they can fix Alondra all the better.
 Message #85711 - This was a reply to message #85689
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Sunday September 24, 2017 10:43 PM
This set of Par 3s at Alondra is a saving grace. It's one of the more difficult par 3 courses in the LA area with small, crowned greens. They get the grass right and more grass growing around the tee boxes you will have a gem of a place in addition to getting the regulation course in order.

[[Edited by ringworld on Sunday September 24, 2017 10:44 PM]]
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #85723 - This was a reply to message #85711

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]