mlslaw
Putting routines

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday February 4, 2018 12:11 PM
Everybody has a pre-putt routine and certain putting keys we use to keep the mind from wandering from the task at hand AND to encourage a repeatable/reliable putting motion.

Mine is "1,2,3" -- meaning

1=forward press (creates fluidity)
2=the takeaway
3=look at the spot where the ball just was (encourages no peeking)

Please share what works for you.
 Message #86961
Nickesquire
RE: Putting routines
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Classic Cl

Sunday February 4, 2018 1:16 PM
My depth perception is not as good as it used to be. Therefore, first thing I do on a putt of more than 20-25' is to pace off the distance to the hole. I have found that this assists tremendously with my lag putting.

Get my read and settle on the speed in my mind. Make sure I note how much it is uphill/downhill for speed/break purposes.

Before I address the ball, visualize the break and speed that I am trying to achieve.

Pick out a target that I am trying to get my ball to roll over on an intermediate or longer putt.

At address, get comfortable and make sure my alignment is correct. At this point, my main thought is to get it on the correct line at the correct speed. Last though before my putting stroke is to remind myself to hit it easier on a downhill putt or harder on an uphill putt.

On the actual stroke, concentrate on straight back/straight through on the takeaway & follow through. Keep the head down and have the expectation that I will get a decent result.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #86962 - This was a reply to message #86961
criley_4way

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Sunday February 4, 2018 4:08 PM
I see the distance
Read the break
Choose a line
Pick an intermediate target
Set the putter down and align the face
Step in Left
Step in right
Settle the stance
Take my grip
Feel comfortable
look at the target
forward press and go
 Message #86964 - This was a reply to message #86962
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday February 4, 2018 4:56 PM
I don't think about it and certainly don't want to discuss it thank you very much.
 Message #86965 - This was a reply to message #86964
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Tuesday February 6, 2018 7:59 AM
QUOTED  I don't think about it and certainly don't want to discuss it thank you very much.

I like to pace it off and look at it from behind the hole, halfway, and behind the ball.

I then line up my logo with my intended target line, close my eyes, and swing hard!

Well, forget the last two.

I like to do this inside of 10 seconds. Hopefully, I can do some of this before it's my turn to putt so I'm not wasting anyone's time.

If there's no time to do these things, I will just hit my putt.

Sometimes no routine is the best routine.
 Message #86979 - This was a reply to message #86965
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Tuesday February 6, 2018 8:52 AM
I have one main intention before making my stroke and that is to experience the "feeling" of making it.

I take a look from the about 10 feet behind the ball to get a general read on speed and break.
I then stand to the left of my ball in a similar posture I will use to make that stroke to help establish a feeling of making the putt.
I have a very open stance putting so I step into my putting position with my right foot first with the ball towards the middle/back of my stance, then adjust my left foot until I get comfortable.
Take one last look at the hole to visualize it dropping (this is the my most essential step).
Make the stroke.
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #86980 - This was a reply to message #86961
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday February 6, 2018 9:18 AM
I read the putt from behind the ball, from the other side of the hole, and from the low side. This is all done immediately upon reaching the green, before marking my ball.

Once it's my turn, I already have my line. I set up, take 3 nonstop practice swings to get the speed (two looking at my ball and the third looking at my target), address the ball, exhale slowly and pull the trigger.
 Message #86981 - This was a reply to message #86961
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Tuesday February 6, 2018 6:46 PM
Great Post-putting such a crucial part of the scoring game. Here is my philosophical long take that answers your question and expands a bit--

There is a reason why the pro's putt better than amateurs--of course practice, they have the God given hand eye coordination--greens are purer but a thought that always comes to my mind--most guys that retain their card year after year are playing the same courses on the West Coast Swing, Florida Swing, Masters, etc usually all the way throughout the year. So why is that such a big advantage for them and for the amateur that maybe just plays their home course or a mini say 5 course rotation--THEY KNOW THE GREENS like the back of their hand year after year. Does not hurt that the pro's have practice rounds and caddies with green books on breaks for each hole location Thu-Sunday.

1. My first big point stated above is you have to know what your getting into before your rock lands on the green. If you know the course and the greens you already have a head start. For example I know I am dead at Los Robles if I am above number 4, 5, 12 or 13. I know I am in trouble at Purisma if I am putting left of the pin on 15. Just playing the same course enough gets you a better chance to navigate your stroke.

2. I think practice putting before the round might be the single most important thing to work on before the round. Even better if you know the course and know the practice green is similar to the course greens. I like to practice some long lag putts, couple medium putts and a ton of 4 footers if I have time to.

3. Having a technique that is repeatable time after time is crucial. Short putts, medium green light putts, long lag putts I try to resemble the same pre-shot routine, set-up, stance, etc.

4. Reading greens takes time, practice, years of experience and knowing are you into the grain, etc.

5. Speed is so crucial with putting. I am trying more lately to focus on making sure I get the ball there especially on medium and lag putts--you can't make em if you are not aggressive. This has taken some getting used to in that historically I have always been a lag putter-- used to be for me if it falls in great, if not don't want a 6 footer coming back--trying to change that mindset

6. What did you just see your playing partners do prior to your putt can tell you about that green condition/break--did you just see a chip release more than usual, a putt break way more than usual, a putt break the wrong way--I try and take all these things into account before I am ready to start my routine.

Sorry for all the info above --so my routine is as follows---

1. Like Evildrummer says I try to quickly and always unless I am super lazy to look behind the hole. So many times what I see over the ball looks very different from behind the hole. I try to actually look behind the hole first.
2. Some super breaking putts or long putts I might not even be looking at the hole but a spot on the green that I know I need to hit to take the break correctly. For super long putts-- where am I leaving my next putt. I visually try and see the ball from release all the way to the hole. Visualization and confidence that you are going to make it is everything.
3. I look at am I uphill, downhill, l to r, r to l.
4. What does the grain look like
5. My eyes have to be over the ball at address.
6. Slightly open stance.
7. Two practice wiggle strokes.
8. Head has to be still and never move up during the stroke
9. Pull the trigger only when I am ready.
 Message #86992 - This was a reply to message #86981
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday February 6, 2018 7:19 PM
No convoluted or regimented "routine" for this kid as far as reading putts is concerned; each one is different with some requiring more scrutiny than others due to length, degree of contour/slope of the green, level of difficulty, etc. As such, I'll react accordingly but always strive to keep things as simple as possible. If the first read looks solid, then that's what I lock onto; I find it counterproductive to cloud my mind with an abundance of unnecessary and/or confusing information.

Once at the ball, I'll visualize the path I want the ball to follow at the speed I envision in order to give myself the best opportunity at a successful putt. Then it's three practice strokes for feel's sake, step in, get aligned to my aim and break points, and pull the trigger. Only thing I'm focused on at this point is maintaining my optimum swing tempo of 66 beats per minute.

While this may seem like quite an involved process when you put it down on paper, it's a very intuitive action on my part and one that I'm not consciously aware of.
 Message #86993 - This was a reply to message #86961
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Tuesday February 6, 2018 9:56 PM
I have this little tactic that a lot of people dont use. I Line up give it a wack and then pray that it is closer to the hole than before the putt

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Wednesday February 7, 2018 9:02 AM]]
 Message #86994 - This was a reply to message #86965

Listing 1 to 10 of 31 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]