GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 22, 2018 10:05 AM
Hi Johnny and Greenskeeper.org Community,

A week or so ago, I was asked by a friend to see if I knew when some of the local course aeration were to happen or have had happened in the Coachella Valley for their golf week outing. I said, yes, just logon to Greenskeeper.org and find your courses and it should generally tell you what's up on aeration schedule(d) dates. Although, I did warn them that this is the time of year that aeration and scalping of the fairways were to happen, but the site & course listings should help them. They were happy and I felt like I was able to help them and thought maybe they'd become followers of the Greenskeeper.org community.

Anyway, they found a place to stay for a week at The Golf Club at La Quinta based on the list here on the website. It was their first morning today although they weren't golfing till later, here comes an aeration/scalping machine on the fairway/tee they're staying at. (LOL) needless to say, I got a call about that, and I was... well, I just didn't know what to say.

No big deal, they're going to call the courses they're thinking of playing in a couple of days. But, I know I haven't been on here and following the trends, and I just want to know if Greenskeeper.org still keeps up the service to "Know Before You Go" type deal.

Thanks Everyone.

_n.
JVGA
 Message #88365
sixpez
RE: Know Before you go- Aeration Alert
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 22, 2018 11:36 AM
Noel,

That's unfortunate your friends encountered that. Sounds like it was aeration of fairways/tees and not greens, which is a little different when it comes to the "Know Before You Go" alert mantra. Fairway/tee aerations are much less predictable and it's usually the work on the greens that GK is most concerned with, along with overseeding closures for desert courses. I have been helping Johnny with some alert calls in recent years and we do our best to get all the information in time. Most people do not realize that getting those aeration and overseeding alerts literally means calling each course one by one. It's an insane task and I'm amazed Johnny did it by himself for so many years.

Not every course is forthcoming with such info because they don't want to scare away potential business. Oftentimes, you just get a pro shop worker who has no clue about such things and it takes several calls to finally get usable information.

We are just starting on Palm Springs area calls as most courses start aerating in June. A few will jump the gun and sometimes maintenance is done in a moment's notice based on weather or other factors. No matter how many calls are made, not every course will be caught ahead of time. However, GK does a more thorough job than anyone when it comes to making these calls and posting aeration alerts as far in advance as possible.

If anyone ever comes across a course that has been aerated without it being posted on GK (or if you play somewhere regularly and know the upcoming maintenance dates), send Johnny or I a message and we will get the info posted. It's all part of the "Know Before You Go" community effort.

[[Edited by sixpez on Tuesday May 22, 2018 2:46 PM]]
 Message #88366 - This was a reply to message #88365
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Tuesday May 22, 2018 12:14 PM
Good example:

I just called GC of La Quinta and the lady working the pro shop had no clue. She said the greens probably won't be done until mid/late June and made no mention of any recent punches to fairways or tees like your friend encountered. That's just how it goes with some courses!
 Message #88367 - This was a reply to message #88366
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday May 22, 2018 2:04 PM
Hey Keith,

Thanks for that quick response. I guess I learned something there- the separation and differentiation between fairways/greens aerification. I used to think it was all inclusive for some reason. I'll explain to the guys and also will find out about it if the course aerated the greens.

In any case, whenever I encounter a course that I play and they're aerifying, I always report here in the community, but it would reach you quicker in a direct message. Do you guys mind posting your emails or would the regular intra-mail here will do? I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one who do not have your emails... wait, I do get the guru mail so maybe it's in there?
QUOTED  If anyone ever comes across a course that has been aerated without it being posted on GK (or if you play somewhere regularly and know the upcoming maintenance dates), send Johnny or I a message and we will get the info posted. It's all part of the "Know Before You Go" community effort.

Thanks again.

_n.
JVGA
 Message #88368 - This was a reply to message #88366
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Tuesday May 22, 2018 2:44 PM
Noel, your best bet is to email golf@greenskeeper.org with any info, questions or requests. Thanks.
 Message #88369 - This was a reply to message #88368
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday May 22, 2018 2:46 PM
Okay, great, thanks!
JVGA
 Message #88370 - This was a reply to message #88369
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Friday May 25, 2018 1:56 PM
Thanks for the response Keith.

QUOTED  It's an insane task and I'm amazed Johnny did it by himself for so many years.

Less insane (but still insane) for me now that I have some help from you. Thanks Keith!

Also, helps a great deal if we do miss a maintenance alert post that I'm contacted at golf@greenskeeper.org. There are very few, but they are still out there, no matter how many times you call them, you can't get the info over the phone. So if you regrettably play a golf course that is under maintenance and it's not posted on GK, please let us know. Thanks!
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #88401 - This was a reply to message #88366
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday May 25, 2018 2:33 PM
If you know, let us know!
 Message #88402 - This was a reply to message #88401