PA/Jersey golf
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 19, 2019 9:09 AM
Now that I’m in Philly, there’s not many opportunities to play right now. However, the Jersey TopGolf has specials M-F where you can get 1 hour for $15. Mo real putting or chipping and with the cold, wind and limited distance balls you can’t get good yardages - but it’s going to be a great way to grove my swing until course time becomes an option., especially with the games they have rewarding consistency.

Anyone else use this as an option in bad weather and what’s been your experience? So far it’s been good here.

[[Edited by HmtGolfGuy on Tuesday February 19, 2019 9:16 AM]]
 Message #90654
dconnally
RE: PA/Jersey golf

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday February 19, 2019 2:31 PM
Ron, this is why I've always lived in the south - LOL.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #90655 - This was a reply to message #90654
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

Tuesday February 19, 2019 3:18 PM
Enjoy the cold, Ron. Sounds like fun : ) Is the name changing to PhillyGolfGuy?

And remember not to go to any Eagles games in your Santa Claus outfit!
 Message #90656 - This was a reply to message #90655
HmtGolfGuy

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Tuesday February 19, 2019 5:25 PM
I did get to play the day after I arrived - the cool thing was the cart paths looked like forest trails! Tomorrow it’s supposed to snow so not likely to get to another course anytime soon but will update when I do. Enjoy the rain!
 Message #90658 - This was a reply to message #90656
dalesteyn5645

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 22, 2019 9:37 PM
Having lived in all three places, if you limit the inquiry to climate, then Denver is the answer. Denver has four seasons, each of them relatively mild (lunchtime temps in January can be in the 50s), humidity is low year round (in stark contrast to Philly or NJ), and warm days can be (and usually are) followed by cool nights. Plus, given the record of the storms (including hurricanes) that roll up the east coast periodically, the winter “blizzards” that dump newsworthy amounts of snow on the Front Range should not dissuade you from Denver. Of course, the ocean is a long way away but the clear mountain air is close. I think for climate sunny Denver is the best bet.
 Message #90676 - This was a reply to message #90654
HmtGolfGuy

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Saturday April 20, 2019 7:20 PM
Now that I've been here close to three months, wanted to update a little.

First, there are a LOT of good, solid courses within a reasonable drive at a reasonable rate. Courses cover the entire spectrum of styles, from links to open parkland to tight tree-lined. Still getting used to green speeds, due to the weather and grass types they are all slower than I've expected and the grain seems to have more effect on breaks, so it'll take some time to feel comfortable.

A LOT more elevation change than I'm used to - think I've played more uphill/downhill lies in six weeks than I did the last 3 years combined in SoCal! Also, plenty of water and some seriously nasty/thick rough. An example of all three is the 5 Ponds Golf Club Warminster, which is also one of the nicest, best conditioned true public courses I've ever come across (be forewarned, the Par 3 #17 is not for the faint of heart). Another for uneven lies is Spring Hollow, and if you like big undulating green complexes check out Lederac (that designer was a sick puppy).

Last (but certainly not least) - did I mention treasonable rates? There are two Donald Ross courses within 20 miles that are open to public play (one is a muni!). Yes, THAT Donald Ross. LuLu Country Club is open to guests M-Th and the rate with a cart on Mondays it $50. Jeffersonville Golf Club has a $30 senior rate M-Th including cart. I've driven by LuLu and it looks like it will be all the challenge I've imagined from one of his courses. Having played (and PAID) some Dye/Fazio/Mackenzie designs, I'm drooling over the opportunity to play these two at these prices!

Hopefully some of you will make it back here in the next couple years and can join me for some fun, memorable rounds (I'm kinda trolling Sixpez with the Donald Ross courses - JohnnyGK, you too!). Will update again in another couple months, hope everyone is having a great Spring!
 Message #91121 - This was a reply to message #90658
leef2020
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Monday April 22, 2019 2:47 AM
There are certainly plenty of great golf courses back east. The County Park systems in NJ each offer multiple options for great golf at decent rates.

Though these public NJ courses I've played may be a bit of a drive, suggest you add them to your list to check out when you can/are in the area. They are typically in great condition and offer some unique challenges. Flanders Valley, Warrenbrook and Farmstead Golf & Country Club were part of my regular rotation for 8 years. All are a lot of fun to play, and pretty reasonable rates back then.

Hominy Hill in Colts Neck, Monmouth County, NJ (designed by Robert Trent Jones)
A great challenge, with some very fast greens

Flanders Valley in Morris County, NJ

Warrenbrook Golf Course in Warren, Somerset County, NJ

Farmstead Golf & Country Club, Lafayette, New Jersey

For plenty Robert Trent Jones courses in upstate NY...

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/sports/2017/06/golf_history_in_upstate_n y_playing_the_robert_trent_jones_empire_trail.html

Enjoy!
 Message #91140 - This was a reply to message #91121

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]