Bigdrew09
Etiquette For Early Morning Single Golfer

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 4, 2017 6:28 PM
Although I played a round or two for a few years, I've only regularly been playing golf for the last six months or so. (I'm a big fan of greenskeeper.org, although this is my first post) To that end, as I'm learning the game picking up on etiquette, I generally try to keep an approach where I'm respectful and never pushy. This comes into play when I go out as a single and I've found that other golfers are likewise respectful, aware of their surroundings, and will often let me play through if the course is open ahead of them. Being allowed to play through is something I view as a courtesy in such a situation, not an entitlement. So that's a long setup to my question:

If I am a single paired up with another three golfers on the very first tee time of the morning, is it inappropriate to ask if I can play ahead or skip a hole to get through the round more quickly? On the one hand, I'm playing at the crack of dawn to get in a round as quickly as possible before work and playing solo as a single will be much faster. On the other hand, it may seem anti-social or a knock on the other golfers with the same tee time who think that I'm in the wrong for thinking they're slow. (I'm not suggesting individually they are slow, but certainly as a group they would be slower).

I imagine reactions might depend on the people I'm paired with, but what are others' thoughts? (In an ideal world the starter might just let me out a few minutes early and it wouldn't be an issue, but I have no idea whether that'll happen.)
 Message #85840
evildrummerhb
RE: Etiquette For Early Morning Single Golfer

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 4, 2017 8:25 PM
First of all, welcome! You've been a member for a bit, so I'm sure you have seen how great and helpful of a community GK is.

My take on your issue is that yes, asking an early group, especially the first group off, to split off and play ahead may be viewed as poor form. The good news is that the first few groups off, in general, share the same mentality; they are out for a quick round before their real day begins. You'll find many early foursomes finish in under three hours, even if they're walking. Also, they tend to be more skilled. So, if your skill level is not up to theirs, you may actually hold up that threesome you left behind if you hit more than a couple wayward shots...which will hold up the following group, etc. I'd say enjoy your early round with the other early birds. There's a good chance you'll make some new connections with good, serious golfers that share your passion.
 Message #85842 - This was a reply to message #85840
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Wednesday October 4, 2017 10:04 PM
Welcome to the forums, Bigdrew009.

I agree with evildrummerhb.

For the most part early morning golfers tend to be faster, especially the regulars at particular courses. Also, those regulars covet those tee times and if you are an outsider they can really be testy if someone new comes along.
 Message #85844 - This was a reply to message #85842
Bigdrew09

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 4, 2017 10:28 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts. Your thinking makes a lot of sense and I'll go with the flow and hopefully will meet some good folk with a similar appetite for a fun fast morning round! And yes, I joined this site a while back and it's my favorite golf resource. I find the posts and comments from its members to be insightful, practical, and often times funny. This game of golf is great and one of the best parts is that it seems to attract similarly great people.

[[Edited by Bigdrew09 on Thursday October 5, 2017 7:30 AM]]
 Message #85846 - This was a reply to message #85844
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday October 5, 2017 7:35 AM
I agree with the other two posters, it is a bit rude to ask to play ahead. However, play fast on your own, and if they aren't as fast then you'll be obviously waiting on them - make it obvious. Walk ahead and look back. Look at your watch a lot. Early morning golfers are usually time sensitive, and if they notice that you are faster they may invite you to go ahead.
 Message #85849 - This was a reply to message #85846
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Thursday October 5, 2017 8:29 AM
One other problem may be that you can't play too fast being first out because they are still finishing up the maintenance. I've been out first numerous times and have had to put on the brakes because I was playing too fast. Just something to consider.
 Message #85850 - This was a reply to message #85849
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Thursday October 5, 2017 11:52 AM
I respectfully disagree with sparky14.

The consensus so far seems to be that in this particular circumstance, it would generally be bad form to ask to go ahead. So it leaves it up to you to generally factor into your schedule the possibility of getting paired up.

That said, if there was an occasion where you had a tight schedule that was a do or die quick round situation, personally I would rather you explained the situation as such and ask, with the expressed understanding that you may not get the OK. Offering to skip a hole so the original group can continue without waiting for you to get ahead would be a nice gesture and a practical solution because no one waits — and you are in a hurry, right? Oh, and if you go ahead, you make sure to play faster than whomever is behind you.

What I definitely would not want do is to play with someone running a passive aggressive game of walking ahead, looking at their watch and obviously indicating through body language, etc. that they, personally, are being held up. Now you are pressuring me and getting into my head (as intended) and messing with my round and enjoyment. I think that is rude and much worse on the etiquette scale than being straight up with me in the beginning.

Generally, I think etiquette translates as respect for the course and fellow players. If a questionable situation is handled with respect, it usually has the best chance of a satisfactory outcome for all parties, even if it sometimes doesn't align with formal etiquette.
 Message #85851 - This was a reply to message #85849
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Thursday October 5, 2017 1:01 PM
QUOTED  Posted By t8fish on 10.05.2017 11:52 AM]

I respectfully disagree with sparky14.

The consensus so far seems to be that in this particular circumstance, it would generally be bad form to ask to go ahead. So it leaves it up to you to generally factor into your schedule the possibility of getting paired up.

That said, if there was an occasion where you had a tight schedule that was a do or die quick round situation, personally I would rather you explained the situation as such and ask, with the expressed understanding that you may not get the OK. Offering to skip a hole so the original group can continue without waiting for you to get ahead would be a nice gesture and a practical solution because no one waits — and you are in a hurry, right? Oh, and if you go ahead, you make sure to play faster than whomever is behind you.

What I definitely would not want do is to play with someone running a passive aggressive game of walking ahead, looking at their watch and obviously indicating through body language, etc. that they, personally, are being held up. Now you are pressuring me and getting into my head (as intended) and messing with my round and enjoyment. I think that is rude and much worse on the etiquette scale than being straight up with me in the beginning.

Generally, I think etiquette translates as respect for the course and fellow players. If a questionable situation is handled with respect, it usually has the best chance of a satisfactory outcome for all parties, even if it sometimes doesn't align with formal etiquette.

+1000

Great post.
 Message #85852 - This was a reply to message #85851
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday October 5, 2017 1:09 PM
That's a good point t8fish, I like your suggestion of being truthful and honest up front. So I will agree to respectfully disagree with myself on this one.

[[Edited by sparky14 on Thursday October 5, 2017 1:09 PM]]
 Message #85853 - This was a reply to message #85851
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Thursday October 5, 2017 6:39 PM
Cool. Thank you.

I didn't want to sound preachy, especially since it was a hypothetical etiquette question for me. You will never, ever, find me up and out with the first group at any golf course. Not being wired that way, I'm the guy dawn patrol gets to avoid.

But I am frequently the single, so that part comes from experience.

Cheers.

[[Edited by t8fish on Thursday October 5, 2017 6:41 PM]]
 Message #85856 - This was a reply to message #85853

Listing 1 to 10 of 26 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]