leedabord
For the Love of the Game

Favorite Golfer:
    Payne Stewart
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes, CA

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday January 30, 2019 8:29 AM
Payne Stewart would have turned 62 yrs old, Today. Even though I barely got to watch him, I have always felt a connection, and wish he was around: https://twitter.com/usopengolf/status/1090634743866105856
 Message #90456
noeldaof
RE: For the Love of the Game
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday January 30, 2019 8:43 AM
Nice... thanks for the post!
JVGA
 Message #90457 - This was a reply to message #90456
SloopDanB

Favorite Golfer:
    Dean Martin
Favorite Golf Course:
    Yes

Monday August 19, 2019 3:37 PM
Got to follow him for a bit at the 1993 LA Open. In those days, he wore NFL team colors. I believe he was sporting the Cleveland Browns colors that day.....and Tom Kite was with him. I'm old.
 Message #92245 - This was a reply to message #90456
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday August 19, 2019 5:57 PM
QUOTED  Got to follow him for a bit at the 1993 LA Open. In those days, he wore NFL team colors. I believe he was sporting the Cleveland Browns colors that day.....and Tom Kite was with him. I'm old.

Old = Me too Dan. I remember around the same period when one year Stewart was the first round leader @ the L.A. Open. Watched from about 15' away as Jim Hill interviewed him for KABC 7 as it was nearing dark.

If I remember correctly, Payne went through a phase where he wore different NFL team colors every round, and wore the local home team colors on Sunday?

Going to the L.A. Open represents special memories. Moments etched in time for me.

Saw Arnie @ Rancho Park the last time the L.A. Open was played there in the early 80's. One of the last times he was ever on a PGA Tour leaderboard.

Saw Nicklaus in the late 80's @ Riviera shortly after he won his last major.

Spent a good amount of time on the range right before dark one night. There was no one there but me, his caddy and Vijay Singh when he was a top 5 player in the world. He was hitting 8 irons. 2/3 he would hit his normal high fade shot. On the third, his caddy would throw out a ball and tell him something like "you have to draw it over a tree", "you have to fade it under tree limbs" or "hit it straight at 2/3 of your normal trajectory". You could have drawn about a 15 yard wide circle and 95% of those shots would have been in it. Like a machine, very impressive.

Saw Tiger playing in his first PGA Tour event as a 16 year old amateur @ Riviera. Followed a real skinny Tiger for a few holes after reading about his exploits in the paper.

Had heard about Bubba when he first came on tour and was telling my buddies about him as we were walking up to the course. Made it to the first tee just in time to see him tee off. He pull hooked a tee shot right of #1 fairway, across #2 fairway and was in the rough on the far side of #2. One of the worst drives I have ever seen a pro hit, had to be close to 100 yards off line. My buddies were giving me crap... yeah, this guy is going to be great!... We did not follow him down #1 but were beside #2 green when he got there... and were shocked to see that he was -1 after 1 based on where his drive ended up.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Friday August 23, 2019 7:26 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92248 - This was a reply to message #92245
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday August 20, 2019 7:45 PM
I only like golf half the time.
 Message #92249 - This was a reply to message #92248