Putter Refinishing?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Putter Refinishing?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
t8fish
Putter Refinishing?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday November 8, 2021 8:11 AM
I'm looking to get my putter spiffed up and refinished, which will probably mean sending off somewhere. I've done some browsing about it and want to avoid a bad job.

Have you had any refurbishing of your putter done, by whom, how much, and you thoughts on the results?
 Message #100643
Nickesquire
RE: Putter Refinishing?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Monday November 8, 2021 8:20 AM
Have never done it. Wonder if the original manufacturer for a price would run it through the same process they do their new putters?

Could restore an older putter to almost new status and be a good source of income if marketed? How many golfers out there do you think would pay say $100 to get an old favorite looking like it did 20 or 40 years ago? I know manufacturers WANT to just sell golfers a new putter... But I suspect there are many golfers out there who like their current putter and do not want a newer version?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100644 - This was a reply to message #100643
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Monday November 8, 2021 9:31 AM
The putter brand is Cougar, formerly American but now Australian based, so I don't see sending back there. The finish is carbon steel and I'd want it finished in a matt black, so I'm not seeking the original look anyway.

I originally got it out of a bin at a 2nd hand sporting goods shop about 15 years ago for $5 and it's neither a big name or any currently in-vogue technology. I'm comfortable with it and as much as any part of golf, I think putting is between the ears, as opposed to my upgrading my driver recently to get better technology. When I'm confident about my putting I feel like I could putt if you handed me a shovel, but this is definitely better than a shovel.

A black finish with a white aiming line would improve the optics for me but I'm not interested in a new putter. It's more sentiment than anything and it works. If I don't get this refinished, I'll just keep playing it.

So, anybody done this and have any recommendations??
 Message #100645 - This was a reply to message #100644
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday November 8, 2021 9:59 AM
Kevin,

Although I have no direct experience with them, BOS Golf in San Marcos (BOSGOLF.com) would appear to be THE place to consider. They offer a wide range of finish and paint/personalization options to choose from along with a reasonable pricing structure.

I have a ‘stable’ of Tad Moore carbon head putters I’ve thought about having restored and BOS would be my choice if I ever decided to follow through and complete the process. I also have a Tad Moore I purchased from someone after it had be redone (don’t know where or by whom) but if BOS could produce the same results, I’d be extremely pleased.

There may be other refinishers out there but putter refinishing can be a tricky endeavor as some original finishes cannot be duplicated while durability issues can also work their way into the equation. Best thing you can do is check out their website and/or give them a call to see if it’s something worth pursuing.
 Message #100646 - This was a reply to message #100643
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Monday November 8, 2021 10:40 AM
Let durability help drive your decision...if you want higher durability against dings and scuffs, then look for options like powder coating or Cerakote. If less durability is ok, then automotive paint can do. Either way, good prep work is key and should be discussed by the hired expertise.
The shaft should be pulled and reassembled during the process(some options could eliminate this though). My ugly putter is fugly because it's had my handiwork and refinishing. ;-)
 Message #100647 - This was a reply to message #100645
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Monday November 8, 2021 12:38 PM
Thanks gents.

Jeff, I'll check BOS. I've probably seen their site and I'll go back and revisit it.

Chuck, yeah, definitely not the school of auto paint. If it's not going to hold up or I suddenly have to baby it as opposed my usual reasonable but casual handling, then I wouldn't bother. You will never find me pulling a head cover off a putter unless it's for someone else's putter.

Of course, I've never put out enough cash to buy a putter that would come with a cover, so there's that.
 Message #100649 - This was a reply to message #100647
Arpeggi

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday November 8, 2021 1:40 PM
Haus of Golf in Costa Mesa did a great job on my Camerons
 Message #100650 - This was a reply to message #100649
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday November 8, 2021 3:43 PM
QUOTED  You will never find me pulling a head cover off a putter unless it’s for someone else’s putter.

While you may regard the ‘On-Off’ routine of putter cover removal a pain in the butt, it makes no sense to me to invest in the refinishing process and then fail to protect the club from dings, gouges, chips, etc. as it gets jostled in your golf bag. You may be one of those guys who don’t really care about keeping your clubs in pristine condition...I don’t know...but, in my view, a putter is a different story compared to irons. In many cases, certain finishes require that the putter head be oiled occasionally and covered in order to protect it from impact damage while also preventing the development of any rust.

Without a cover, it wouldn’t take long before the club would begin to resemble its’ pre-refinished appearance. At that point, you’d be asking why you bothered in the first place. Whether it’s a $20.00 bargain barrel purchase or $500.00 custom model we’re talking about, ALL putters deserve to be treated with the same degree of TLC. Just a personal point-of-view.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Monday November 8, 2021 4:46 PM]]
 Message #100653 - This was a reply to message #100649
msherer260

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 9, 2021 8:56 PM
Just go to the Golfworks...they do refinishing....sell a lot of neat stuff also...used to really be a great place, not as good now as it owned by Dicks....still use their 9 wood and 7 wood...
 Message #100659 - This was a reply to message #100643
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday November 12, 2021 4:16 PM
Have to agree with Jeff. If you are going to spend the time/$$$ to refinish your putter, why would you not invest in a good putter cover and keep it on to prevent dings?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100779 - This was a reply to message #100659

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]