BrianH
RE: Golf GPS

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 29, 2015 11:04 AM
I use swing by swing for the Iphone6. I am one of the jerks that plays music from my phone when I play, if it bothers others I will turn it down or off. I also have one of the extra battery packs that plugs into the phone. I never have a problem with battery life, and don't turn the phone off at all.

I really like the features of the app, and have played with friends that have range finders and find that I am usually only a yard or two off compared to what they have.

For the price and my quality of my game I will deal with the yard or two.
 Message #72988 - This was a reply to message #72986
addictedtugolf

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 29, 2015 1:06 PM
Here we go.... Mercedes or BMW? Audi or VW?

Personally I have used both a GPS & a Rangefinder.

I PREFER a rangefinder which I keep an extra battery on hand just in case I lose power which is rare.
The GPS gives you front/middle/back green etc...

IF you don't hit the correct club NEITHER will help you...

I LIKE the shoot any target (RANGEFINDER) vs relying on GPS....
Just to add my .03 (CENT$), GPS uses markers on the course....It's been my experience those 100/150/200 markers are in correct (I digress) Rangefinder is so much more accurate.

~ATG~

P.S. My Callway non-slope LR500 (for 500 yards) works just fine!
"What's behind me.....is behind me". The original Cannonball Run
 Message #72991 - This was a reply to message #72971
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday July 29, 2015 1:12 PM
Reasonable, but given the low cost of these GPS programs, they are not mutually exclusive. the Range finder also cant add course notes, topographical features of the green or elevation changes. It doesn't learn your capabilities so as to offer club selection. The laser range finder also can't remind me of hazards I don't know are there on courses I don't play regularly, like the creeks at Casa Del Sol, or Medowlark.

The accuracy concerns are legitimate. However the cell phone issue is less. I run both programs I am testing on a tablet that has no cell phone feature it's just GPS. $50 table, $25 vibration free bracket that sits in the carts cup holder.

The programs give me data about the greens and course I wouldn't normally have. Error can be induced it changes are made to the course, but I am not sure how common that is.

For me, I already have the phone, and the tablet, so they don't factor into cost. I did buy the mount just for golf, so that is $25. The basic programs are free, and the deluxe or pro versions are under $5.

The laser range finder cost the same as new driver, or even a year old or used set of irons. The GPS cost less than a beer. For me, money is an limiter.

The laser doesn't provide me data for analysis. I had 3 shots of 100 yards, and my actual performance with my wedge was 92 yards. Missed the pin by an average of x. Since the handheld GPS knows where I hit the shot from, and where the ball ended up, it captures that data if I allow it too. Later I can use that for practice to improve.

Will I do that every round no, but I can.
 Message #72992 - This was a reply to message #72973
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Wednesday July 29, 2015 3:54 PM
I use both a range finder and the Swing by Swing Looper app. I tend to use the range finder just for lasering the flag, but the SxS GPS in order to determine how far I can go when I need to lay up or if there's a hazard or something that needs to be avoided. It's very functional in that sense as you can basically tap on whatever your landing area would be and it will give you that approximate yardage - incredibly useful when new to a course, especially the more difficult ones with many hazards.

I mostly use the SxS to keep scores and stats later and try to improve from there. The Looper upgrade does however give some good info on the greens.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Wednesday July 29, 2015 3:56 PM]]
 Message #72993 - This was a reply to message #72992
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Wednesday July 29, 2015 4:12 PM
QUOTED  Just to add my .03 (CENT$), GPS uses markers on the course....

Would be interested to know where this information comes from (and which GPS systems it applies to).

The SbyS GPS definitely doesn't use the yardage markers for anything, it's based on signal location. I know this as fact because A) I've been standing on the alleged 150 marker while the program states something different and B) I've made changes in course maps online and can verify the next time I'm there it shows a different distance relative to that change (which would not be possible if the numbers were based on the markers).

I completely agree with the comment about the yardage markers, they are often inaccurate. However, I'd disagree with the statement that rangefinders are so much more accurate. In my experience (matched up against a reputable rangefinder for over a dozen rounds on a course we both knew well), the SbyS GPS is within 1-2 yards about 75-80% of the time (1-2 yards is also the general accepted margin for error for rangefinders - no way to tell which one is correct in those instances).

Bottom line - if you like rangefinders, by all means use them (but know their limitations - blind shots being the biggest). If you like GPS systems, by all means use them (and also know their limitations - weak/non-existent signal being the biggest).
 Message #72994 - This was a reply to message #72991
Krystal

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

Wednesday July 29, 2015 4:45 PM
GPS's and Rangefinders are both tools. It's a matter of how those tools are used. No doubt, lasers are more accurate than GPS (how many times have we been in our cars and our GPS is wrong with our precise location (so frustating)). Those precise numbers are valuable thus, lower 'cappers are willing to pay for that information. BTW 2 yards off = 6' foot putt.

Very rarely am I interested in a front/back # provided by a GPS system. What I AM interested in is a carry distance. It might be to carry a bunker, a ridge on the green or both. I'm might interested in a number behind a pin. Give me something to bounce a laser off of and I have a number. As I said, it's a tool. From that number, I can work up and down based on playing characteristics. Data from a GPS system gets fuzzy the farther away you get from your reference points.

There's a reason rangefinders are vastly more prevelant on tour. There's a learning curve but, after you've got it, it's terrific. And, let's face it, when we're able to use DMD on a course, it's during a practice round. We're shooting multiple distances to multiple pin positions. From mulitple positions in a fairway (and off). A GPS might be practical for a recreational golfer. For the more advanced player, it's almost required.

The other advantage of a laser in on a driving range. The ability to shoot a pole/tree/object and use that as a distance target has enormous value. Honing in your distances. If you think marker distances are off on a course, you can imagine how much they're off on a driving range.

I've been know to shoot carts on a tee box. If player 1 regulary drives a ball 270 and on the 7th hole, he's out there 295, it gives me a clue about playing conditions on that hole.

Whatever DMD you elect to use... it's tool to help you score better. Hope you can use it to your advantage.

fairways and greens fellas,
krys

btw, I've never known a golfer that's credited his/her GPS for an ACE. Rangefinder guys... a different story
 Message #72996 - This was a reply to message #72993
addictedtugolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 29, 2015 5:13 PM
QUOTED Would be interested to know where this information comes from (and which GPS systems it applies to).

At the time, it was GOLF LOGIX software....I would constantly submit adjustments would be needed on various courses. I recall they use Satellites etc to map courses unlike some companies have guys walking around with unit's on their backs to map courses.

There was a form for GOLF LOGIX users and those adjustments only took a day or two (At that time) when I used their unit. For me? I prefer the Callaway (NIKON) LR 500 over a gps unit

Btw, some gps units like the Overhead touted information "U - PRO" ? is no longer in use....

~ATG~
"What's behind me.....is behind me". The original Cannonball Run
 Message #72997 - This was a reply to message #72994
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday July 29, 2015 10:12 PM
Reasonable approach.

For those who don't have the funds for a range finder, or the interest in carrying one, they are likely to have their phone with them. The level of accuracy of modern commercial range finders are very good, but I am not aware of any other than a couple of rifle scopes that give wind information, and none inform of hazards.

In my case I am a high handicapper, and play a number of different courses, but after a recent swing change to accommodate injury, I am still learning what I can do with each club.

I am using the GPS the same way I am using the practice bay over at the PGA store, to understand what I am doing, and dial in my performance. If I end up 6' from the pin from more than 75 yards out, it's just luck.

I guess what I am amazed at is that the evolution of the app business allows a product that provides distance, contour information, learns my capabilities with a given club, can give me a fly over of a hole I have never seen can be marketed for $0-$15.

By the same token the ability to hold have a laser range finder that not long ago would have cost thousands is really cool.

Totally agree it's another tool. Tools don't hit shots. But the added information is helpful. Combined with some of the course tips people have been kind enough to post. My only issue so far is the lack of a simulation to run and learn all of the features, the result is a slightly slower pace of play. This is fine if your backed up waiting for the group in front. If your moving along quickly it can be a little harder.
 Message #73000 - This was a reply to message #72994
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Thursday July 30, 2015 1:09 AM
QUOTED  At the time, it was GOLF LOGIX software....I would constantly submit adjustments would be needed on various courses.

Thanks for the info.
QUOTED  What I AM interested in is a carry distance. It might be to carry a bunker, a ridge on the green or both.

Yes!

Since I normally don't get a chance to scout out a course ahead of time, that's what I most rely on from my GPS program. I can check carry distances to bunkers, hazards, specific green locations, etc. If I start playing the same courses on a regular basis (or get to play practice rounds) a laser may become more valuable.

All measuring devices have a built-in and accepted margin for error. A good GPS is usually about 2 yards - for all the better lasers it's 1 yard. The real difference between the two is the GPS can be 2 yards either short or long and switch back and forth for no apparent reason while the lasers make the same error consistently. This is probably a big reason they are the choice on pro tours.

Example - Today I'm standing at 150 to the green and my GPS says 148. From the exact same spot tomorrow it might say 152. Both are acceptable within the margin for error for that program. On the other hand, the rangefinder will say 149, 150 or 151 and give that same result day in and day out. For a pro, that kind of consistency is crucial, even if it is 1 yard off. Why? Because when they practice they would be measuring their distances with the same rangefinder - if they think they hit their PW 149 and that number is consistent then the fact they actually hit it 151 is irrelevant.
 Message #73001 - This was a reply to message #72997
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Thursday July 30, 2015 1:48 PM
I've been using GolfLogix since switching from an Android phone to an iPhone 4s a few years ago. I have found it does have some kinks, like different yardages when comparing with someone also using it on a different phone (up to 5-8 yards). However, I do like the touch screen to find yardage to hazards and end of fairways. While it's not totally accurate, it doesn't matter to me if the fairway ends at 198 or 205 or if I need 157 or 163 to carry a hazard, I'm taking the club to leave me well short or well over the hazard.

The other nice component of GolfLogix (and some other programs) is the club tracking. I definitely have a good idea of how far I hit each club now. With GolfLogix, it costs me $10 a year.

I have looked at a rangefinder, but I can't seem to pull the trigger on the purchase.
 Message #73007 - This was a reply to message #73001

Listing 11 to 20 of 41 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]