Discussions in Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Paisano, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
2021 Desert Classic
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: 2021 Desert Classic

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1
msherer260
2021 Desert Classic

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 14, 2021 11:07 PM
Finally a real golf tournament, none of the 2 pros 2 amateurs stuff...sure when it was the Bob Hope you had 1 pro and 3 amateurs and five days of golf with at least 50 Hollywood types out there...now there are no more stars just average Joe's with so many with 14 and above handicaps you have to wade through(they pay upwards of $25,000 for the pleasure, sure many are comped by their companies as usual) Thanks to Covid-19 no fans BUT no amateurs either. So 156 pros on just two courses instead of three....Maybe this will change the event for the future....I marshaled 4 years out there and it gets pretty boring by Saturday when half the players are basically your week day men/women's club hacks taking up space on the greens.....and man who wants to pay to see Joe 15 handicap hit out of bounds or in the water?

[[Edited by msherer260 on Thursday January 14, 2021 11:09 PM]]
 Message #97597
Nickesquire
RE: 2021 Desert Classic
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 15, 2021 6:57 AM
Same thing for the Pebble Beach PGA stop this year. No Bill Murray low lights.

Also noticed that both events are only rotating 2 courses instead of the usual 3 for 2021.

However, I seriously doubt this will be a permanent change msherer260. When a select few amateurs are willing and able to pony up roughly $25K for the privilege of playing the white tees beside the real guys in between the ropes for a few days? I strongly suspect the tournaments will be nice enough to take their $$$ again once they are allowed to do so.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97599 - This was a reply to message #97597
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Friday January 15, 2021 7:16 AM
That money is used to fund all the charity that the PGA tour supports. I, for one, am all for the amateurs giving their 25K to play inside the ropes with the pros and the PGA giving some more dollars to the local charities that are lucky enough to get he money. Who really cares if you watch some ams play with the pros, it actually gives some context to how really good the pros are.

Really, how many people are actually watching the golf Thursday and Friday anyway and I would bet that a lot of the fans at the actual tournaments at both of those events, are looking to follow a celebrity and not the pro golfer. I gotta say, mixing up the formats is good for the game, there are enough 4 rounds of stroke play events to keep all the "serious fans" happy.
 Message #97600 - This was a reply to message #97599
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday January 15, 2021 8:11 AM
QUOTED  However, I seriously doubt this will be a permanent change msherer260. When a select few amateurs are willing and able to pony up roughly $25K for the privilege of playing the white tees beside the real guys in between the ropes for a few days? I strongly suspect the tournaments will be nice enough to take their $$$ again once they are allowed to do so.

No way they pass on getting A to pay $25 K in the future. In fact, I would bet it will be $30 or $35 K going forward. And there are more than enough guys to put up that $$$ to play.
 Message #97601 - This was a reply to message #97599
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday January 15, 2021 8:28 AM
QUOTED  how many people are actually watching the golf Thursday and Friday anyway and I would bet that a lot of the fans at the actual tournaments at both of those events, are looking to follow a celebrity and not the pro golfer.

Maybe in a few select cases. But at the events I have worked and/or been a spectator, 90+% of the amateurs are NOT celebrities. They are CEO types, entrepreneurs who hit it rich, wealthy retirees or people who hold high positions at a company that is a titled sponsor. Rarely people anyone would recognize on sight or even their name.

But you guys are all correct. The $$$ goes to support the event and tour charities, and there is zero chance they won't have them playing again when they can.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97602 - This was a reply to message #97600
msherer260

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday January 16, 2021 8:52 AM
There are no celebrities at the Desert Classic for the most part anymore...When they took away the BOB HOPE name away went the celebrities.
 Message #97609 - This was a reply to message #97600

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]