Discussions in Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Moderated By JohnnyGK, Paisano, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
Pro Corner - Talking about Tour Stuff!
Westwood
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Westwood

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
msherer260
Westwood

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 14, 2021 5:52 PM
Westwood would have had two victories in a row with a REAL PGA caliber caddie...his choice....Most guys would have tossed their clubs in the lake by the 10 hole with their wife's on the bag....or been tossed in by the wife....

[[Edited by msherer260 on Sunday March 14, 2021 7:24 PM]]

[[Edited by msherer260 on Monday March 15, 2021 11:53 PM]]
 Message #98179
1PLUS1
RE: Westwood

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 14, 2021 7:04 PM
If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that Westwood's career has been rejuvenated since his girlfriend, Helen Storey, took over as caddy some three years ago, replacing Billy Foster. I'd hardly classify it as an arrangement agreed upon just 'for fun'. Westwood has plenty of experience to draw upon when it comes to calculating distances, selecting clubs, and reading greens. At this stage of his career, perhaps he isn't one of those who needs to be constantly consulting with his caddy before deciding how to approach a certain shot. I find it refreshing; most of the guys on tour seem incapable of tying their own shoes without a caddy nearby.

More importantly, Westwood is more at ease and relaxed on the course since Storey assumed the caddying duties and, as a result, has been playing his best golf in a decade. She's more 'psychologist' than caddy at this point and her ability to keep Lee focused and in a positive state of mind has paid immense dividends. Since forming their partnership, Westwood has moved from 64th to 36th in the World Rankings...at the age of 47.

Storey also has a background in physical fitness...so is it pure circumstance that Westwood happens to be in the best shape of his life? Professional golfers are going to make mistakes and miscalculations on the golf course, whether through their own oversight or that of their caddy. However, to pin Westwood's near-misses over the past couple of weeks on your 'for fun' take is about as ridiculous as it gets.
 Message #98183 - This was a reply to message #98179
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday March 14, 2021 8:07 PM
QUOTED  Since forming their partnership, Westwood has moved from 64th to 36th in the World Rankings...at the age of 47.

That ranking will be even higher once this week's 2nd place finish is updated in the World Rankings.

I can see both trains of thought. For a younger player, w/o a lot of tournament experience, I could see how having a professional caddie could level the playing field against some of their competition.

For some players on both ends of the confidence spectrum. Some who could be prone to self doubt. Or the player getting carried away and wanting to shoot at any pin after a few birdies in a row. Maybe having a caddie that acts as his psychologist to steady them could be a good thing. IF the player trusts his caddie and the caddie knows his player, their mindset and their moods... I can see a benefit of having that type successful partnership there.

However, in Westwood's case, he has been a top flight professional for over 25 years now. How many top 5 finishes in majors? How many Ryder Cup matches? How many weeks ranked in the Top 50 in the world? How many wins worldwide?

Not sure how much a player of that level of skill and experience would defer to a caddie on green reading. And if the basic yardage info is correct, how many yards to a trap or to clear a hazard etc. Does Westwood really need a shill to 2nd his opinion when he grabs a 5I out of his bag?

I suspect that MANY top professional players do not want to hear from their caddie's on strategy or club selection.

I witnessed from about 5' away a very vocal exchange while volunteering as a walking scorer @ a Sr. PGA event. A top, well know player who almost everyone reading this would recognize his name after a long, successful PGA career. Then he started winning regularly on the St. Tour. He was leading the tournament. His caddie wanted him to play safe and avoid a big number after incurring a penalty stroke off the tee on a par 5.

I'll give you the G rated version. The real life version sounded like one of Tommy LaSorda's infamous rants.

The player told the caddie that if he opened his mouth again he was fired, that he was going to hit his 3W from 258 exactly as he did on the driving range. Then proceeded to hit one of the best golf shots I have ever witnessed. Played about a 15-20 yard cut around an oak, landed short of the green, rolled through the green to the back fringe to set up a 2 routine putt par from the fringe. And let the caddie have it for about the next 30-45 seconds as they walked down the fairway after the shot.

The players actions and way of communicating it to the caddie may have been extreme. But I am not so sure that many caddie's are making course management and club selections for top players with decades of experience competing at the highest levels.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98186 - This was a reply to message #98183
dangerousbri
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Sunday March 14, 2021 9:57 PM
Which holes and shots did he make a mistake on that a "real" caddy would have given him. I don't think I saw him miss a putt inside of 10'. Perhaps that's the "psychologist caddy" effect and he wouldn't have made as many?

Just curious if there are real examples rather than she's not a "real" caddy that make you think he would have won.

[[Edited by dangerousbri on Sunday March 14, 2021 10:40 PM]]
 Message #98191 - This was a reply to message #98179
chevelle

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Monday March 15, 2021 6:05 AM
I agree completely with "1plus1". I think the original post was a rediculous statement. I get so tired of the prolonged conversations between golfer and caddy, man you are the golfer , make up your mind and hit the ball.
 Message #98196 - This was a reply to message #98191
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday March 15, 2021 6:13 AM
QUOTED  Westwood would have had two victories in a row with a REAL PGA caliber caddie...his choice....

Old school guy. Knows how to do his thing the way he see's it best.

Two wins in a row? Highly debatable position to take makes it's a good post for discussion.
QUOTED  Which holes and shots did he make a mistake on that a "real" caddy would have given him. I don't think I saw him miss a putt inside of 10'. Perhaps that's the "psychologist caddy" effect and he wouldn't have made as many?

I concur.
In the end when it still counted for first loser money (18th hole) with 3 players @ T2nd. He drained his putt (longer that 10 foot)
for solo 2nd $1,635,000 vs $1,135,000

That's a $500,000 putt he didn't need any help with. Never heard him doing complicated geometry calculations out-loud either. Loved his smile all day.

I wonder if their arrangement is the standard 5%. Plus she's the best looking caddy on TV yesterday by far, IMO LOL.

Good to see a few of the gray hair gang in there playing well in the young-ins.
 Message #98197 - This was a reply to message #98191
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday March 15, 2021 6:16 AM
QUOTED  PGA caliber caddie

Out of curiosity how much research did you do on Storey before making those comments? Do you know here background at all? What made you think she wasn't a "real PGA Caddy" as you stated? Certainly you have some basis for this comment other than she's a "woman" or a personal acquaintance of Westwood. Brooke Henderson has her sister on her bag (both a woman and personal relationship) and she seems to be doing just fine the last couple years!

I tend to agree with the others, in that having his "girlfriend" on the bag has had the opposite effect for Westwood. It has taken him from being pack fodder to being on the top of the leaderboard.

Maybe Speith needs his wife on the bag. He's has 3 chances to win in the last couple months and hasn't gotten the job done with Michael on the bag...
 Message #98198 - This was a reply to message #98191
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday March 15, 2021 9:00 AM
QUOTED  If you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that Westwood's career has been rejuvenated since his girlfriend, Helen Storey, took over as caddy some three years ago, replacing Billy Foster.

That's a good Storey. Checking this story out, I find out that she's his fiancé. He's going to have to listen to her advice for a long time.
 Message #98206 - This was a reply to message #98183
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday March 15, 2021 9:21 AM
QUOTED  Checking this story out, I find out that she's his fiancé. He's going to have to listen to her advice for a long time.

On the golf course the classic caddy's role. Shut-up, keep up, clean-up. Not sure that's Helen's role today! They look happy out there having fun.

They're hot. Too bad the Masters is April 8th. He's rolling with that Ping Ketsch right now.
 Message #98207 - This was a reply to message #98206
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Monday March 15, 2021 2:42 PM
I'm probably the biggest USA Ryder Cup fan and junkie on this site but I will admit the last couple of weeks especially last week I was pulling for Westwood to get it done. He is playing his best golf of his career right now. He is so relaxed and I believe does not have any expectations. His caddie, fitness and mindset probably have a lot to do with that. I would not be surprised to see him win a major this year. He always plays well at the Masters.
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #98217 - This was a reply to message #98207

Listing 1 to 10 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]