Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 61 to 65 of 65 Replies

PAGES: 7 3 4 5 6 7
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Semantics of Golf Announcing: "Unlucky"
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday February 4, 2021 11:30 PM
I loved Paul Azinger as a player, but will someone show this guy some of his own highlights so he realizes he was a good ball striker and stops fawning all over every player? I only watched a little of today's coverage but it seemed like he was in awe of everything anyone did. Some player took on a tucked pin on his approach and pulled off a good shot, and listening to Azinger you would've thought the player did the most daring thing ever. It's the Phoenix Open, not the rock-hard greens of the U.S. Open where par is a good score. If you're not flag hunting this week, you're not gonna win.
 Message #97806 - This was a reply to message #97668
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 5, 2021 10:00 AM
Truth! I liked Azinger as a player as well in his days, but as an announcer, especially on this tournament, he's trying to add hype or catering more towards the new influx of golfers- marketing ?? Not too-too bad but it gets annoying. I'd watch golf more with the volume up if they'd just say what occurred- no filter.
JVGA
 Message #97808 - This was a reply to message #97806
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday April 18, 2021 4:14 PM
QUOTED  Maybe I just feel there's too much "rooting" for the players by announcers rather than just calling what happened.

Agree with this comment, and it applies to "journalism" across the board. They used to report the story, now they are involved in making the story.

Perfect example: Jim Nance @ The Heritage today trying to make a case for Stewart Cink to make the U.S. Ryder Cup team? 47 years old, not ranked in the Top 100 entering this week and has won exactly once before this week since 2009? There are at LEAST 50 U.S. players worthier of one of the twelve spots.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98577 - This was a reply to message #84585
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday April 18, 2021 5:37 PM
When it comes to announcers, Nantz is one of the biggest A$$-Kissers in the industry. Rather than push some ridiculous narrative, just do your job and stay out of the way. The guy has a tendency to get too wrapped up in the moment, which is what often leads to these type of absurd ideas. He's guilty of it in golf...and football as well.
 Message #98579 - This was a reply to message #98577
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday April 18, 2021 7:45 PM
Not arguing either side, but surprised to learn Cink was outside the OWGR top 100 entering the week. He's been among this season's top FedEx Cup point leaders and, if I'm not mistaken, is now the first two-time winner this season. I assume it's because prior to his win at Safeway, he wasn't really doing much at all and I think OWGR is tabulated over a two-year span.
 Message #98580 - This was a reply to message #98579

Listing 61 to 65 of 65 Replies

PAGES: 7 3 4 5 6 7

[ Community Page ]